Opinions on DPMS - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Opinions on DPMS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Yeah, each dept sets their own rules. Some are demanding and require a near milspec AR like the 6920, others may say you can't have Colt even as a personally owned rifle. Sometimes the popular names are on the list (Bushmaster, RRA, Colt) and lesser known brands like Daniel Defense, BCM, Noveske, Larue, LMT, Knights Armament aren't allowed. And certain configurations are required, maybe the M4 style barrel, carbine length gas, who knows... And their armorers may not want to support a rifle not to their spec.

Anyway, something to consider since it could be an issue, yet right now you don't have much way of knowing what your future employer requires. Not an easy spot. Probably best to stay put for now and see if AR prices come back down in low orbit around Earth. And see what your preferred agencies do. Good luck!
Great bit of advice! Fortunately for me my agency's policy is fairly open, with a simple list of requirements to meet. Anything else on the rifle has to be approved by one of the firearms instructors, and you must run a course of fire to prove your efficiency with the modification.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:22 AM   #32
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 946 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Jeeper View Post
The why part, is because you are on the Internetwebs, and everybody is a Tactical Ninja Secret Agent 007, and a Call of Duty level 17 expert.

Lots of people simply repeat the drivel they read on other Forums.

DPMS makes a fine mid priced firearm. If you shoot 1-2,000 rounds per year it will be fine. If you shoot 1-,2000 rounds per week, or carry it daily for work, you may want to upgrade slightly. Mine has been flawless.
So true, we all do it.

My DPMS LR-308, is built like a 1890 freight train! My DPMS pistol, built around the time of Janet Reno, is on par with all the other uppers / lowers I have seen. My Colt does not seem to be made any better.

Last edited by AR10; 01-27-2013 at 02:26 AM.
bluez Likes This 
Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #33

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10

So true, we all do it.

My DPMS LR-308, is built like a 1890 freight train! My DPMS pistol, built around the time of Janet Reno, is on par with all the other uppers / lowers I have seen. My Colt does not seem to be made any better.
Good thing it's like the 1890 ... I hear the 1891 freight trains sucked! Lol.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:32 AM   #34

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
... My DPMS ... is on par with all the other uppers / lowers I have seen. My Colt does not seem to be made any better.
Better recheck them, the Colt is made better and with better parts.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:08 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

Better recheck them, the Colt is made better and with better parts.
Is it a little like grading coins? If a coin grades higher, it is worth more to a collector. However, in the local vending machine, both spend the same.

My DPMS, Colt, Olympic, all AR's, and that is that? Some say no. Some say big difference. I say, all will do what they were built to do, defend life, and liberty.

I am no more pleased with my xyz, than I am my acme. All the same. Lock and load, rock and roll.

Biggest difference between a Toyota and a Lexus is the commission check given to the salesman. No?

Today, at a gun show, I purchased 7 ~ 30 round magazines. One Colt, and the others were Center Industries, Brownells, Kay, and Parsons. With a eagle eye, can't tell them apart, except by the names on the butt plates. In the fever of impending bans, the Colt clip is worth more. Maybe much more, but it does not appear a lick better. Just a name.

Last edited by AR10; 01-27-2013 at 06:17 AM.
bluez Likes This 
Old 01-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #36

Liked 220 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
So true, we all do it.

Janet Reno??? I bet the crud on her drawers is older than dinosaur snot!!

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #37

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Quote:
Is it a little like grading coins? If a coin grades higher, it is worth more to a collector. However, in the local vending machine, both spend the same.

My DPMS, Colt, Olympic, all AR's, and that is that? Some say no. Some say big difference. I say, all will do what they were built to do, defend life, and liberty.

I am no more pleased with my xyz, than I am my acme. All the same. Lock and load, rock and roll.

Biggest difference between a Toyota and a Lexus is the commission check given to the salesman. No?

Today, at a gun show, I purchased 7 ~ 30 round magazines. One Colt, and the others were Center Industries, Brownells, Kay, and Parsons. With a eagle eye, can't tell them apart, except by the names on the butt plates. In the fever of impending bans, the Colt clip is worth more. Maybe much more, but it does not appear a lick better. Just a name.
Hard to reason with a scattergun post. Gather your thoughts, do your research and you'll find there is a difference between Colt and DPMS. The same kind of difference you'll likely find comparing a good tool with a cheap one. Will the cheap tool do the job? Maybe. But sooner or later you're gonna bust it and your knuckles.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #38

Liked 220 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Hard to reason with a scattergun post. Gather your thoughts, do your research and you'll find there is a difference between Colt and DPMS. The same kind of difference you'll likely find comparing a good tool with a cheap one. Will the cheap tool do the job? Maybe. But sooner or later you're gonna bust it and your knuckles.
I think this DPMS issue has been beat to death. There are some who like their DPMS enough they think it's good enough to be a tier 1. Some think DPMS is just barely above Vulcan. I don't think either side will change their mind. I personnally I beleive they had some quality control issues for a few years, but got back on track. Unfortunately, there were enough who had bad experiences to give them a black eye for a long time.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

jwhirl413 Likes This 
Old 01-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Good tool, Craftsman, Snap-On? Those good tools?

Cheap tools, no name Wal-Mart, Harbor Freight? Is this the cheap stuff?

You really think the tooling quality, material quality of a DPMS is the same quality as a crappy discount hand tool?

Seriously?

If you really think any American Gun maker is making guns, the quality of China made cheap tools, you have been sipping the sacrificial wine.

I am a retired gun dealer, that was a pawnbroker. I can look at something, and quickly tell if it is quality or not.

Has DPMS turned out an inferior product at some point in time, that was questionable quality??? Frankly, I doubt it. I would not be afraid of them, because some guy with Internet access has something bad to say about anything.

Do you own a DPMS rifle? Have you shot a DPMS rifle? Have you cleaned a DPMS rifle? Have you inspected parts inside a DPMS rifle? Have you evaluated any broken parts from a DPMS rifle? Can you show us photos of broken DPMS parts, you personally have photographed?

I run across this all the time with sailboats. One dock queen mouthing off at length about some boat he has never seen, never owned, never sailed on, yet he thinks because he read a post in a blog, or forum, he can turn around and spout off about it, like he is some sort of God sent expert. Most often, he is complaining about a brand of boat, he does not own, as it that will elevate his boat some how. lol

Not to get in your face, but to say a DPMS product is like a cheap low grade knuckle breaking tool, is slanderous, and irresponsible. If there are minuscule differences between the major gun makers in this country that I have seen, making rifles, I could accept that. However, a grain of sand, presented as a wheelbarrow of sand, is childish.

Last edited by AR10; 01-28-2013 at 01:03 AM.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:53 AM   #40
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

I don't think I've ever disagreed with Quentin, but on this I will. If you compare apples to apples then they all have to meet or exceed, say mil spec So if you judge like that, while there can me minor discrepancies in tolerances, they must all meet a minimum standard. I've fired many different makes and model, and they all achieve the same basic function. I don't ever see myself spending the extra coin on DD or other boutique names. I like fit and function, style and brands don't carry much weight with me.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr