Opinions on DPMS - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Opinions on DPMS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I also own a DPMS, Sweet sixteen to be exact. This was the first AR I bought and it was definitely a learning experience. After about 500 rounds, my rifle would not cycle completely, it would fire fine, but was having trouble cycling far enough to load the next round. I tried everything possible, changed gas rings, and gas tube but still no luck. I finally noticed that my BCG was rubbing on the upper and this friction was causing it to malfunction. I still have the rifle, although i changed the BCG, upper, and the only thing that remains original is the lower and the barrel. While DPMS is most likely an okay company I was very dissapointed with my particular rifle. That being said, i'd be ok with a DPMS lower, but thats about it. Your mileage may vary. I also have video posted somewhere in the forum when I was having issues...

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Old 01-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

This thread is just like so many other threads on any forum about anything asking for an opinion. There will be those that have the "cadillac" model of any item that experience problems, and there will be those with the "daewoo" level stuff (if you dig 6 feet down under the ground beneath the empty barrel at the bottom of the worst heap of stinking sh1t is the level I speak of) that never have problem one. There are Ferraris that have issues from day one. There are renaults that never seem to die.

All that being said, I have the entry level DPMS. $650 right before the election (yes my timing was awesome) I have lots of range buddies with Bushmaster, Sabre Defence, DD, and so forth. We all fire a good number of rounds. I have had one FTF in in a few thousand rounds. They have all experienced their own little quirks. FTF, FTE, even a couple of them have had jammed rounds. A gun is a machine ( or mechanical device if you so please) and machines fail. New, old, etc they all have a chance to fail. Unless you are active duty or LEO I personally don't see the need to go get some super high dollar unit, unless you just have more than enough cash to toss around. But even then it's still a machine.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

People Like This 
Old 01-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 263 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyE15 View Post
I was planning on getting into a 308 caliber rifle and wanted to stick with DPMS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
You should have said this was about getting a .308 in your first post.
All of the DPMS rifles that I have experience with have been very good rifles for the price. Notice the underlined qualifier. I'm not going to tell you they can't be beat, because in fact I think they can. But a 5.56 DPMS AR is a really solid gun in my experience. My own preference would point me toward a PSA build with upgrades to a few specific parts at a similar price.

But for 308, DPMS is pretty great in my opinion. Again, the previously mentioned "for the price" qualifier should be applied here. They aren't by any means "the best", but I'm also not aware of any company that will give you more quality at an affordable price (at least pre current hysteria) than DPMS when it comes to a complete AR-10.

I've owned Panthers in 556 and 308, and I've shot some that others owned. My experience tells me you'll get your money's worth either way. They're like a Hyundai. Not the coolest, trendiest, or pinnacle of quality on the planet, but a very reliable and value conscious choice...so it's something that is probably the best route for a lot of people. If I was to buy another AR-10, it might well be a DPMS.

Last edited by sweeper22; 01-23-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #24

Liked 230 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 326

DPMS doesn't fall into the teir 1 category, but they also don't fall into the "do not buy at any price" category. That is reserved for companies like Vulcan/Blackthorne/Hesse. The way things are going now, if you can get an AR that is not on the "do not buy" list for 700-900 bucks, and you got the dough, grab it. You can re-configure it later.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by fsted2a; 01-23-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #25

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere we go again!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #26

Liked 1037 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1034

As far as the .308 DPMS, it seems to be a good value-priced rifle that's compatible with the original ArmaLite AR-10/KAC/PMAG magazine.

As far as their 5.56 commercial grade carbines, I can't understand why anyone would recommend them to a new buyer when PSA offers a near milspec carbine for about the same money (pre-panic). If you have a DPMS and it works for you, great. But in normal times should you recommend them to a new buyer when the same money goes further if you shop around? Sure, some people won't understand the difference but others will be annoyed when they discover the difference between barrel/BCG materials and finishing, gas port diameter, FSB height, receiver extension diameter, etc.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

You should have said this was about getting a .308 in your first post.
It wasn't the mean point. I do currently own a DPMS AR15. I've been applying for PD jobs and was curious on how it would handle constant use with what it's being said about the company. I hesitated because of what was said, the $$$, and my lack of knowledge and experience with black guns.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #28

Well good luck in your job search, Trey. The bottom line here is it all depends on the approved list of M4geries that your let's hope eventual hiring agency uses. Some depts allow commercial grade ARs, some demand Colt and similar quality. I'd say for your own well being, a Colt LE6920 is a fine patrol rifle; DPMS, not so fine.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Well good luck in your job search, Trey. The bottom line here is it all depends on the approved list of M4geries that your let's hope eventual hiring agency uses. Some depts allow commercial grade ARs, some demand Colt and similar quality. I'd say for your own well being, a Colt LE6920 is a fine patrol rifle; DPMS, not so fine.
Interesting. I didn't think some departments would have a requirement if you bought your own. Now that I think about it, it makes a lot of sense. Good advice, and thanks for the encouragement.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #30

Yeah, each dept sets their own rules. Some are demanding and require a near milspec AR like the 6920, others may say you can't have Colt even as a personally owned rifle. Sometimes the popular names are on the list (Bushmaster, RRA, Colt) and lesser known brands like Daniel Defense, BCM, Noveske, Larue, LMT, Knights Armament aren't allowed. And certain configurations are required, maybe the M4 style barrel, carbine length gas, who knows... And their armorers may not want to support a rifle not to their spec.

Anyway, something to consider since it could be an issue, yet right now you don't have much way of knowing what your future employer requires. Not an easy spot. Probably best to stay put for now and see if AR prices come back down in low orbit around Earth. And see what your preferred agencies do. Good luck!

______