Opinions on DPMS - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Opinions on DPMS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #11
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1108 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 242

As a retired gun dealer I can tell you DPMS is a solid, well built gun. I own two of them, and a colt, as well as others.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyE15

Thanks for the info. With all the info I get I hope to make a better choice for my next AR. I really like my DPMS and I think it's a great gun to learn with.

The info I never get from most critics is why they dislike the gun or the way it performs. I can't seem to really get the "Why" for the opinions on DPMS. Just that its average and below. Is there a certain reason why it's not a good patrol rifle? Where is it lacking in the different areas that you need a higher end rifle?
There are others on this forum that are much more qualified to tell you the reasons why as far as types of metals used and quality control practices, that's just something I don't have experience with. I've seen reviews saying DPMS are horrible rifles because of this reason or that, but bought mine anyways to familiarize myself with the platform like I believe you have. When plinking or hunting I love it, it's rarely given me a hiccup at those times, but while running a couple of course I've had parts fail and issues with ammo. I contribute the ammo issues to both the rifle for being picky and the ammo for being cheap. But the parts failing like the hammer retaining pin breaking and extractor not extracting I contribute to just pushing the rifle hard and fast. The thought that if I carried it into a firefight where it will be run hard and fast there's a slim possibility it could fail (not malfunction which can be cleared) just doesn't sit well with me, my loved ones or my partners at work. With that being said the odds of me being in a firefight are slim meaning unless your an LEO or military your odds are even less, so like I said before if you love the rifle and she doesn't fail on you then she's perfect. And keep in mind this has just been my experience with my rifle, there are thousands others out there.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRacerX75x

There are others on this forum that are much more qualified to tell you the reasons why as far as types of metals used and quality control practices, that's just something I don't have experience with. I've seen reviews saying DPMS are horrible rifles because of this reason or that, but bought mine anyways to familiarize myself with the platform like I believe you have. When plinking or hunting I love it, it's rarely given me a hiccup at those times, but while running a couple of course I've had parts fail and issues with ammo. I contribute the ammo issues to both the rifle for being picky and the ammo for being cheap. But the parts failing like the hammer retaining pin breaking and extractor not extracting I contribute to just pushing the rifle hard and fast. The thought that if I carried it into a firefight where it will be run hard and fast there's a slim possibility it could fail (not malfunction which can be cleared) just doesn't sit well with me, my loved ones or my partners at work. With that being said the odds of me being in a firefight are slim meaning unless your an LEO or military your odds are even less, so like I said before if you love the rifle and she doesn't fail on you then she's perfect. And keep in mind this has just been my experience with my rifle, there are thousands others out there.
Your information is probably to best I have ever gotten. In fact I think it's the only good info and solid explanation I have ever gotten for why DPMS can get a bad rap. All of this makes sense. I have never really leaned into the rifle, but have had days of shooting 400+ rounds and felt it performed well. Your reasoning behind not using it as a service rifle is pretty sound as well. I've recently applied for some Patrolman jobs and I now have that information to carry forward with me. I really appreciate it.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

For your reading pleasure:

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > DPMS AR or Del-Ton AR

Old 01-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wouldn't buy one. I'd go with stag seeing how they manufacture most parts for other company's. If your looking for a pricier option, I'd say 1 lwrc2 lmt, 3 bravo company, you'll be more than happy with those especially the lwrc. Good friend of mine has one and it's the best I've come across

Old 01-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #16

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 356

In the late 90's, DPMS had a significant amount of quality control issues. My understanding is that has been improved upon. Not a tier 1 gun, but still pretty decent if you can find a decent price. Right now if you can find any AR under 1000 bucks you probably should jump on it.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I have/had a DPMS Sportical, which is similar to the Oracle.

Mine was an excellent gun. I upgraded with Magpul MOE furniture (better ergos, less...like zero...rattle, and affordable), an M16 BCG, and a Red Dot scope. $300 worth of upgrades made it a tight and light little eats-anything carbine. Good gun. It's currently up for sale at my LGS in case someone wants to go nuts and pay a crazy $1400-2000 price. And if they don't, I'll be plenty happy to keep it.

They probably vary from one gun to the next, but I'm 100% happy with my DPMS. I have some higher end ARs (DD, BCM) to measure it against, and it's a solid gun for the price. Without the upgrades I probably wouldn't love it as much, however.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyE15 View Post
The info I never get from most critics is why they dislike the gun or the way it performs. I can't seem to really get the "Why" for the opinions on DPMS. Just that its average and below. Is there a certain reason why it's not a good patrol rifle? Where is it lacking in the different areas that you need a higher end rifle?
The why part, is because you are on the Internetwebs, and everybody is a Tactical Ninja Secret Agent 007, and a Call of Duty level 17 expert.

Lots of people simply repeat the drivel they read on other Forums.

DPMS makes a fine mid priced firearm. If you shoot 1-2,000 rounds per year it will be fine. If you shoot 1-,2000 rounds per week, or carry it daily for work, you may want to upgrade slightly. Mine has been flawless.

Last edited by 1911Jeeper; 01-20-2013 at 09:00 PM.
eborden1122 Likes This 
Old 01-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Jeeper

The why part, is because you are on the Internetwebs, and everybody is a Tactical Ninja Secret Agent 007, and a Call of Duty level 17 expert.

Lots of people simply repeat the drivel they read on other Forums.

DPMS makes a fine mid priced firearm. If you shoot 1-2,000 rounds per year it will be fine. If you shoot 1-,2000 rounds per week, or carry it daily for work, you may want to upgrade slightly. Mine has been flawless.
Makes sense. I was planning on getting into a 308 caliber rifle and wanted to stick with DPMS. I Hesitated after hearing a lot of things. From what I understand the quality goes up when you get into their AR-10 rifles.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #20

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyE15 View Post
Makes sense. I was planning on getting into a 308 caliber rifle and wanted to stick with DPMS. I Hesitated after hearing a lot of things. From what I understand the quality goes up when you get into their AR-10 rifles.
You should have said this was about getting a .308 in your first post.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.