Opinions on DPMS
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Opinions on DPMS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Opinions on DPMS

A while back ago I bought my first AR15: DPMS Oracle. I've had a great experience with it. It was (at the time) 650$ and some magpul irons sight brought it up to 722 total. Came with a solid case and two metal, standard 30 rd mags. But recently when I talk to a lot of gun owners, I hear DPMS is either average or below average. Any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I was handling one earlier. It was a 11.5" model. It seemed to be on par with all the mid level guns to me.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #3

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 147

I have the DPMS carbine with 11.5 inch barrel and the 5.5 inch flash suppressor deal. It has held up to repeated use and is accurate. Like any gun I have it gets cleaned after use. My brother has two colts. Maybe someone with a better analogy could make a comparison between say... A nicer 1911 (not an exorbitant custom job) and a comparable mid range priced 1911 in relation to build and material quality of the DPMS to another make of AR?

Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #4

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Didn't notice the section this is in... Maybe move it to a more appropriate subforum?

Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've had no complaints from mine. I see the negatives coming mostly from other forum where shooters seemed to have one bad experience and/or seemed to be set on a particular higher end model or brand. I just wanted to see of DPMS was notorious for anything and I just hadn't heard about it yet. This is the gun itself, and even though I've only been a black gun owner for maybe a year, I feel like it performs very well.

image-600243513.jpg  

Old 01-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #6

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

If average is the standard commercial grade AR then I'd say DPMS is slightly below average. Doesn't mean it won't work for you but in normal times you can get better for not much more money. PSA is an example, $700 used to get you a well above average AR with a milspec barrel, BCG and receiver extension.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:38 AM   #7

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_H
I have the DPMS carbine with 11.5 inch barrel and the 5.5 inch flash suppressor deal. It has held up to repeated use and is accurate. Like any gun I have it gets cleaned after use. My brother has two colts. Maybe someone with a better analogy could make a comparison between say... A nicer 1911 (not an exorbitant custom job) and a comparable mid range priced 1911 in relation to build and material quality of the DPMS to another make of AR?
I have the same exact DPMS with the 11 1/2 in barell with the 5.5 in flash suppressor with the HBAR it has the forward assist an dust cover I just orderd a DPMS flat top . I'm able to shoot three different rounds under 1 MOA ,.56. , .67 and . 58 MOA very impressed with this short barrel and reliability .

image-3553470691.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3553470691.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	80537

image-3532337636.jpg

Old 01-20-2013, 04:32 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a 16in DPMS Orcale that I carry as a patrol rifle. Now let me say first that I love my rifle and will never sell it due to being a great plinker and hog and coyote gun. But for it's current primary role, training and duty carry (including multiple rifle courses) it's just not up to par. I'm in the process of building a Spikes and hopefully BCM SBR to fill the this role. IMO if she works well for you, then it's the perfect gun for you. And here's some pics with work and play setups, and it's potential accuracy. ( don't mind the lower in the second pic, that's my spikes lower I was testing, I actually use my DPMS lower and the target was shot with DPMS lower)

image-3268038665.jpg

image-39448799.jpg

image-3305644873.jpg

Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRacerX75x
I have a 16in DPMS Orcale that I carry as a patrol rifle. Now let me say first that I love my rifle and will never sell it due to being a great plinker and hog and coyote gun. But for it's current primary role, training and duty carry (including multiple rifle courses) it's just not up to par. I'm in the process of building a Spikes and hopefully BCM SBR to fill the this role. IMO if she works well for you, then it's the perfect gun for you. And here's some pics with work and play setups, and it's potential accuracy. ( don't mind the lower in the second pic, that's my spikes lower I was testing, I actually use my DPMS lower and the target was shot with DPMS lower)
Thanks for the info. With all the info I get I hope to make a better choice for my next AR. I really like my DPMS and I think it's a great gun to learn with.

The info I never get from most critics is why they dislike the gun or the way it performs. I can't seem to really get the "Why" for the opinions on DPMS. Just that its average and below. Is there a certain reason why it's not a good patrol rifle? Where is it lacking in the different areas that you need a higher end rifle?

Old 01-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #10

Liked 272 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 193

There is nothing wrong with a DPMS rifle. I have 4 AR's and It seems to shoot just as well as my Bushmaster and Colt. That being said I also have a Sig Sauer AR and I believe it is the finest AR I have shot to date.

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones