Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Opinions on DPMS (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/opinions-dpms-81857/)

TreyE15 01-19-2013 06:03 PM

Opinions on DPMS

A while back ago I bought my first AR15: DPMS Oracle. I've had a great experience with it. It was (at the time) 650$ and some magpul irons sight brought it up to 722 total. Came with a solid case and two metal, standard 30 rd mags. But recently when I talk to a lot of gun owners, I hear DPMS is either average or below average. Any thoughts?

sparky80 01-19-2013 07:04 PM

I was handling one earlier. It was a 11.5" model. It seemed to be on par with all the mid level guns to me.

Agent_H 01-19-2013 07:12 PM

I have the DPMS carbine with 11.5 inch barrel and the 5.5 inch flash suppressor deal. It has held up to repeated use and is accurate. Like any gun I have it gets cleaned after use. My brother has two colts. Maybe someone with a better analogy could make a comparison between say... A nicer 1911 (not an exorbitant custom job) and a comparable mid range priced 1911 in relation to build and material quality of the DPMS to another make of AR?

Agent_H 01-19-2013 07:13 PM

Didn't notice the section this is in... Maybe move it to a more appropriate subforum?

TreyE15 01-19-2013 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've had no complaints from mine. I see the negatives coming mostly from other forum where shooters seemed to have one bad experience and/or seemed to be set on a particular higher end model or brand. I just wanted to see of DPMS was notorious for anything and I just hadn't heard about it yet. This is the gun itself, and even though I've only been a black gun owner for maybe a year, I feel like it performs very well.

Quentin 01-20-2013 12:24 AM

If average is the standard commercial grade AR then I'd say DPMS is slightly below average. Doesn't mean it won't work for you but in normal times you can get better for not much more money. PSA is an example, $700 used to get you a well above average AR with a milspec barrel, BCG and receiver extension.

Tenderribbs 01-20-2013 01:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent_H
I have the DPMS carbine with 11.5 inch barrel and the 5.5 inch flash suppressor deal. It has held up to repeated use and is accurate. Like any gun I have it gets cleaned after use. My brother has two colts. Maybe someone with a better analogy could make a comparison between say... A nicer 1911 (not an exorbitant custom job) and a comparable mid range priced 1911 in relation to build and material quality of the DPMS to another make of AR?

I have the same exact DPMS with the 11 1/2 in barell with the 5.5 in flash suppressor with the HBAR it has the forward assist an dust cover I just orderd a DPMS flat top . I'm able to shoot three different rounds under 1 MOA ,.56. , .67 and . 58 MOA very impressed with this short barrel and reliability .

Attachment 80537

Attachment 80537

Attachment 80538

xRacerX75x 01-20-2013 03:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have a 16in DPMS Orcale that I carry as a patrol rifle. Now let me say first that I love my rifle and will never sell it due to being a great plinker and hog and coyote gun. But for it's current primary role, training and duty carry (including multiple rifle courses) it's just not up to par. I'm in the process of building a Spikes and hopefully BCM SBR to fill the this role. IMO if she works well for you, then it's the perfect gun for you. And here's some pics with work and play setups, and it's potential accuracy. ( don't mind the lower in the second pic, that's my spikes lower I was testing, I actually use my DPMS lower and the target was shot with DPMS lower)

Attachment 80559

Attachment 80560

Attachment 80561

TreyE15 01-20-2013 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xRacerX75x
I have a 16in DPMS Orcale that I carry as a patrol rifle. Now let me say first that I love my rifle and will never sell it due to being a great plinker and hog and coyote gun. But for it's current primary role, training and duty carry (including multiple rifle courses) it's just not up to par. I'm in the process of building a Spikes and hopefully BCM SBR to fill the this role. IMO if she works well for you, then it's the perfect gun for you. And here's some pics with work and play setups, and it's potential accuracy. ( don't mind the lower in the second pic, that's my spikes lower I was testing, I actually use my DPMS lower and the target was shot with DPMS lower)

Thanks for the info. With all the info I get I hope to make a better choice for my next AR. I really like my DPMS and I think it's a great gun to learn with.

The info I never get from most critics is why they dislike the gun or the way it performs. I can't seem to really get the "Why" for the opinions on DPMS. Just that its average and below. Is there a certain reason why it's not a good patrol rifle? Where is it lacking in the different areas that you need a higher end rifle?

rhyno13 01-20-2013 05:09 AM

There is nothing wrong with a DPMS rifle. I have 4 AR's and It seems to shoot just as well as my Bushmaster and Colt. That being said I also have a Sig Sauer AR and I believe it is the finest AR I have shot to date.