Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Opinions on 308 AR platform rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 01:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 58 Times on 48 Posts

Default Opinions on 308 AR platform rifle

I've been looking into a semi-auto chambered in .308. Primary use will be hunting but also want a decent target rifle. I have a qd mounted scope for my ar15 that I can swap back and forth depending on what I'm hunting.

The M&P 10 looks promising since it has an 18" lightweight barrel, midlength gas system and accepts Pmags. I know I don't want a bull barrel since I'll be taking it into the field.

Any opinions or suggestions? I also have a box full of milspec AR 15 parts so no need for a decked out rifle from the factory.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2013, 02:35 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5327 Times on 2781 Posts
Likes Given: 338

top of my ar10 list would be the rra ar10's. SW does a decent job and ive never herd of a ar10 that wasnt a good shooter although some can have reliability issues. amost no ar15 parts swap into any ar10. ar10 are unique to each maker with extremely little to no brand to brand swapping of parts.

i went scar17. might be more than you care to spend but other than the m1a its the only milspec semi 308 out there.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-27-2013, 03:50 AM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoToe1 View Post
I've been looking into a semi-auto chambered in .308. Primary use will be hunting but also want a decent target rifle. I have a qd mounted scope for my ar15 that I can swap back and forth depending on what I'm hunting.

The M&P 10 looks promising since it has an 18" lightweight barrel, midlength gas system and accepts Pmags. I know I don't want a bull barrel since I'll be taking it into the field.

Any opinions or suggestions? I also have a box full of milspec AR 15 parts so no need for a decked out rifle from the factory.

Lightweight and target aren't really compatible. Unless you want to wait 30 minutes between shots......

DPMS is more affordable, you can use Pmags too. I don't know if AR10s are necessarily more accurate, companies like Noveske make top quality components so ya, they're probably gonna be more accurate than a DPMS.

I say build your own. I'd start with a mated Mega MATEN set of recievers. Muy Sesci

Old 09-27-2013, 03:51 AM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If I had the coin, I'd build an Ar308 or Ar10 before buying a Scar, but DAMN I've always wanted a Scar H/17. Now if we could buy Scar component, and build one, I'd be in heaven.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #5

No doubt a Scar 17 would be sweet, but just not in my price range at the moment. Dpms and RRA .308's seem to get great reviews, however I've never held one in person that didn't feel front heavy. The dpms accepts pmags. The RRA may be the most accurate of the bunch but uses FAL mags and has the same balance problem.

The parts I have left over are a magpul miad grip, magpul midlength moe handguard and a RRA CAR milspec stock. These parts should swap on most AR 10's.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5327 Times on 2781 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
If I had the coin, I'd build an Ar308 or Ar10 before buying a Scar, but DAMN I've always wanted a Scar H/17. Now if we could buy Scar component, and build one, I'd be in heaven.
You can. But it takes a bit of hunting and time for things to come in stock from various sources.

You can build them using lowers that take pmags. Ive got one of those lowers but no pmags are currently available for the 308.

Have you handled a scar17?? They make ar10 varients feel like something quasimodo would use...

One of the huge reasons i went scar over ar10 is the weight and balance issues ar10 have. Then scar17 is in the same weight range as a lot of ar15's while retaining near perfect balance.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
You can build them using lowers that take pmags. Ive got one of those lowers but no pmags are currently available for the 308.
Huh? http://www.grimreapertactical.com/product_p/pmag20lr.htm

This was just the first site to come up, I'm sure there are other vendors.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #8

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I looked at a S&W MP 10 at J&G Sales and was surprised at how badly the receiver was finished. The receiver was pock marked with tiny holes all over the receiver and then parkerized This really surprised me as my MP 15 is finished beautifully. Perhaps it was a factory blemish but I can not imagine how this one escaped the QC folks @ S&W. Anyone else experience this?

Old 09-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnev
I looked at a S&W MP 10 at J&G Sales and was surprised at how badly the receiver was finished. The receiver was pock marked with tiny holes all over the receiver and then parkerized This really surprised me as my MP 15 is finished beautifully. Perhaps it was a factory blemish but I can not imagine how this one escaped the QC folks @ S&W. Anyone else experience this?
My buddy said the one he looked at had a huge gap between the lower and upper. At first that would've bothered me, but it's not really a concern of mine now. The balance of the rifle is more important. How did it shoulder?

Old 09-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #10

Liked 1039 Times on 614 Posts
Likes Given: 319

POF makes an AR-10 variant that is nice. I have their AR-15 variant and have used their AR-10 variant and it's reliable, accurate, clean and sleek.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson