open carry - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > open carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I watch FMJ about once a year, never get tired of it. Hell, I think I met half those characters in basic or 'Nam, including Whitman!
I try to watch it at least that much. I love watchin the Gunny at work. I read that he made most of that stuff up on the fly, and some of it was so raw they had to edit it out. You can't be those old school DS's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar10
Guns are little like penises. Everybody has one, or wants to cuddle with someone that does have one, but no one wants to see the darn things in the mall.
That's a stellar comparison. Flat out blunt and true. And I agree Quen, that one will be around for a while.

@Polyman There are places that open carry is seen as normal. I don't open carry, but about a week ago I had a, um, moment of senior thinking, and went into a gas station after taking off my sweat shirt which was covering my Sig. Standing in line I noticed a guy walk behind me to get in line, he mumbled something like "what the hell...." and then left the store. I had no idea what he was mumbling about and when I was leaving the store he was waiting for me to leave to go in and said something. At that point I realized what he was griping about. I was very plainly open carrying my Sig. I just brushed him off and said welcome to GA. But that's what everyone is talking about. Those Aholes are voters to, and we needn't give them anymore reason to vote against us. That is highly unlike me, I just at some point in the day forgot about it as I carry every single day and it's become 2nd nature over the years.

@partduex Many of us avoid places with such laws like the plague. The south is very gun friendly, that's why we live here

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
I try to watch it at least that much. I love watchin the Gunny at work. I read that he made most of that stuff up on the fly, and some of it was so raw they had to edit it out. You can't be those old school DS's...
Yeah GP I read that R. Lee Ermey originally was hired as just a technical advisor for Full Metal Jacket. They already had an actor cast as the DI but when Stanley Kubrick saw Gunny tearing into the actor to show him how a real DI would do the scene, Kubrick knew Gunny was the right man for the job, no matter how little acting experience he had. And like you said, he got to write much of his own material.

Yeah, I need the first 45 minutes of FMJ every now and then! It's even more funny for those of us who remember a DI like that.

Quote:
... @partduex Many of us avoid places with such laws like the plague. The south is very gun friendly, that's why we live here
I've been fortunate to live in gun friendly places all of my life... 1st 18 years in NC, then after 3 in the Army I had 29 in AZ and now 14 in Idaho. There's no way I'd live in a restrictive state, I just wish all the libs would quit coming to red states.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

vincent Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 868 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 189

@General our laws are generally ok, they are screwy. Our biggest problem right now, our current RINO veto'd a law passed by the legislature that cleaned up "some" of the screwiness. We gained more rights under out previously D gov.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #24

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post

I try to watch it at least that much. I love watchin the Gunny at work. I read that he made most of that stuff up on the fly, and some of it was so raw they had to edit it out. You can't be those old school DS's.

That's a stellar comparison. Flat out blunt and true. And I agree Quen, that one will be around for a while.

@Polyman There are places that open carry is seen as normal. I don't open carry, but about a week ago I had a, um, moment of senior thinking, and went into a gas station after taking off my sweat shirt which was covering my Sig. Standing in line I noticed a guy walk behind me to get in line, he mumbled something like "what the hell...." and then left the store. I had no idea what he was mumbling about and when I was leaving the store he was waiting for me to leave to go in and said something. At that point I realized what he was griping about. I was very plainly open carrying my Sig. I just brushed him off and said welcome to GA. But that's what everyone is talking about. Those Aholes are voters to, and we needn't give them anymore reason to vote against us. That is highly unlike me, I just at some point in the day forgot about it as I carry every single day and it's become 2nd nature over the years.

@partduex Many of us avoid places with such laws like the plague. The south is very gun friendly, that's why we live here
Yea Brother, I too hail from the deep south and man am I home sick, and you said a mouthfull about the south being pro gun. I am STILL trying to fit in up here. Quite a job for an educated redneck.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Unless your state has very specific laws that allow open cary I wouldn't recommend it. In PA it is legal to open cary by default because there are no laws prohibiting it. However, just because it is legal doesn't mean it is prudent. If you OC in PA you will most likely be harassed by the police and take a trip downtown. They probably won't charge you with anything but will at least make your day quite miserable. There was a woman in PA years ago who made headlines when she OC'd at her daughters soccer game. A lot of people got upset and the police revoked her carry permit. She got it back after a long court battle but I don't think what she had to go through was worth carying openly.

My personal opinion is that open cary only makes sense if everyone is doing it. Otherwise the one guy who does is just the first guy to get shot in a robery or something similar. I prefer to CC and have the element of surprise to my benefit. IMHO

Old 02-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblcrona View Post
Unless your state has very specific laws that allow open cary I wouldn't recommend it. In PA it is legal to open cary by default because there are no laws prohibiting it. However, just because it is legal doesn't mean it is prudent. If you OC in PA you will most likely be harassed by the police and take a trip downtown. They probably won't charge you with anything but will at least make your day quite miserable. There was a woman in PA years ago who made headlines when she OC'd at her daughters soccer game. A lot of people got upset and the police revoked her carry permit. She got it back after a long court battle but I don't think what she had to go through was worth carying openly.

My personal opinion is that open cary only makes sense if everyone is doing it. Otherwise the one guy who does is just the first guy to get shot in a robery or something similar. I prefer to CC and have the element of surprise to my benefit. IMHO
I can't find the link at the moment, but there is a guy who gets harassed by the cops in PA everytime he open carries, but because of some possession charge or something in his past he can't get a CCL but is allowed to open carry. Again, unfriendly State to weapons owners.

To everyone else: I've been fortunate enough to live my entire life so far in the south between SC, NC, and GA. Guns are a part of life down here. And all us "gun totin rednecks" have lower violent crime rates, much to the ire of the liberal politicians who want so badly to take everything away. I mean, is it not odd that the worst crime areas have the most restrictive gun laws? Down here, you think twice before F'ing with someone cause any of us could be packing, and we are polite enough to engage for those who don't carry.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr