open carry
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > open carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1150 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 688

Default open carry

my brother and i got to talking the other night. and im just not sure what the law states.

is open carry of a long firearm, such as a slung AR legal in NYS?

i know there are a lot of recent changes. and i also know that you need a permit to carry a pistol. however, i dont see much in the regards of open carring a long gun. any help or links would be greatly apriecated.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Well I'm not familiar with NYS, but I do know in GA in order to open carry you have to have a conceal carry license.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #3

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Not sure what the law for that is. Do one of you plan on open carrying an AR?

Old 02-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Not sure what the law for that is. Do one of you plan on open carrying an AR?
damn skippy if its legal.
of a grieving mother
fireguy Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1
my brother and i got to talking the other night. and im just not sure what the law states.

is open carry of a long firearm, such as a slung AR legal in NYS?

i know there are a lot of recent changes. and i also know that you need a permit to carry a pistol. however, i dont see much in the regards of open carring a long gun. any help or links would be greatly apriecated.
Yes it is legal... No law that says you can't unless in a car.. Then u r in trouble...

Now... The local pd would prob hit you with a disturbing the peace charge just to put u in jail and prob keep your gun forever...

My advice.. Don't try it, just not worth it..

Old 02-06-2013, 12:59 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts

How would that be disturbing the peace? No action to incite violence or anything else. And plus its a symbol of freedom of speech. Exercising your right to open carry should not in any way violate laws unless you go to the "forbidden zones"

Old 02-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1161 Times on 644 Posts
Likes Given: 499

I agree with the principle of being permitted to carry what you are legally permitted to carry but I also think that whether gun owners like it or not the general public has a lot of fear of weapons because of the media's prosecution of their agenda to stigmatize the lawful ownership and use of weapons.

I would like to help our cause rather than hurt it by not carrying weapons to make statements. Whether it becomes legal in Texas or not, I will always choose to conceal a weapon rather than permit all the world to see it. Like it or not, openly carrying weapons gets a lot of attention from the sort of people I'd rather not know that I have a weapon, namely ignorant and scared adult-children and criminals.

I don't carry, train with, or use weapons to make statements. I carry a firearm because I realize that there are people out there who would just as soon kill you as look at you and I would like to continue living in spite of criminals and criminally insane people.

I really like having my AR-15 and want to continue to be permitted to own and use it. So, as much as I agree with the idea of being permitted to exercise my freedoms, I choose to restrain myself with respect to making statements with the carrying or use of my firearms.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #8

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmwilkes View Post
How would that be disturbing the peace? No action to incite violence or anything else. And plus its a symbol of freedom of speech. Exercising your right to open carry should not in any way violate laws unless you go to the "forbidden zones"
Because most of the people in the country these days are *****whipped liberals who fear anything and everything that 1) don't have 2) don't want anyone else to have 3) can put them at some sort of disadvantage solely based on the fact that they are scared to own one

Given their "fear" they call the cops everytime they see someone doing something they consider "abnormal" and thus the uneducated of the police departments don't know the law and assume you can't do such. The ensuing argument between you and the officer turns into a disruption of the peace and you get screwed for doing something perfectly legal because of some whineyassedbitch that saw you. It happens more often than you think.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmwilkes View Post
These days people see an evil black rifle and they will think you're the next school sensation. All LEO would need is to say someone called and probably someone will and you have disturbed their peace. It's not right, but it's a pretty simple truth.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

GeneralPatton Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Good points. So what would happen if I carried my bolt, or muzzy??

of a grieving mother