Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   open carry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/open-carry-83495/)

jjfuller1 02-05-2013 10:37 PM

open carry

my brother and i got to talking the other night. and im just not sure what the law states.

is open carry of a long firearm, such as a slung AR legal in NYS?

i know there are a lot of recent changes. and i also know that you need a permit to carry a pistol. however, i dont see much in the regards of open carring a long gun. any help or links would be greatly apriecated.

GeneralPatton 02-05-2013 11:27 PM

Well I'm not familiar with NYS, but I do know in GA in order to open carry you have to have a conceal carry license.

texaswoodworker 02-06-2013 12:15 AM

Not sure what the law for that is. Do one of you plan on open carrying an AR?

jjfuller1 02-06-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 1125707)
Not sure what the law for that is. Do one of you plan on open carrying an AR?

damn skippy if its legal.

hockeyjr1 02-06-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1
my brother and i got to talking the other night. and im just not sure what the law states.

is open carry of a long firearm, such as a slung AR legal in NYS?

i know there are a lot of recent changes. and i also know that you need a permit to carry a pistol. however, i dont see much in the regards of open carring a long gun. any help or links would be greatly apriecated.

Yes it is legal... No law that says you can't unless in a car.. Then u r in trouble...

Now... The local pd would prob hit you with a disturbing the peace charge just to put u in jail and prob keep your gun forever...

My advice.. Don't try it, just not worth it..

gmwilkes 02-06-2013 12:59 AM

How would that be disturbing the peace? No action to incite violence or anything else. And plus its a symbol of freedom of speech. Exercising your right to open carry should not in any way violate laws unless you go to the "forbidden zones"

kbd512 02-06-2013 07:24 AM

I agree with the principle of being permitted to carry what you are legally permitted to carry but I also think that whether gun owners like it or not the general public has a lot of fear of weapons because of the media's prosecution of their agenda to stigmatize the lawful ownership and use of weapons.

I would like to help our cause rather than hurt it by not carrying weapons to make statements. Whether it becomes legal in Texas or not, I will always choose to conceal a weapon rather than permit all the world to see it. Like it or not, openly carrying weapons gets a lot of attention from the sort of people I'd rather not know that I have a weapon, namely ignorant and scared adult-children and criminals.

I don't carry, train with, or use weapons to make statements. I carry a firearm because I realize that there are people out there who would just as soon kill you as look at you and I would like to continue living in spite of criminals and criminally insane people.

I really like having my AR-15 and want to continue to be permitted to own and use it. So, as much as I agree with the idea of being permitted to exercise my freedoms, I choose to restrain myself with respect to making statements with the carrying or use of my firearms.

GeneralPatton 02-06-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmwilkes (Post 1125752)
How would that be disturbing the peace? No action to incite violence or anything else. And plus its a symbol of freedom of speech. Exercising your right to open carry should not in any way violate laws unless you go to the "forbidden zones"

Because most of the people in the country these days are *****whipped liberals who fear anything and everything that 1) don't have 2) don't want anyone else to have 3) can put them at some sort of disadvantage solely based on the fact that they are scared to own one

Given their "fear" they call the cops everytime they see someone doing something they consider "abnormal" and thus the uneducated of the police departments don't know the law and assume you can't do such. The ensuing argument between you and the officer turns into a disruption of the peace and you get screwed for doing something perfectly legal because of some whineyassedbitch that saw you. It happens more often than you think.

DrumJunkie 02-06-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmwilkes (Post 1125752)

These days people see an evil black rifle and they will think you're the next school sensation. All LEO would need is to say someone called and probably someone will and you have disturbed their peace. It's not right, but it's a pretty simple truth.

jjfuller1 02-06-2013 11:26 PM

Good points. So what would happen if I carried my bolt, or muzzy??