One for all you toxicologists out there
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

One for all you toxicologists out there

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default One for all you toxicologists out there

So my wife is having her first baby and like most dads I want a non defective healthy child. That being said, it occurred to me that the fumes given off by stronger gun cleaning solvents required to get off the really blackest blacks of a well used ar15 could be detrimental to the kids health both in the womb as well as after it is born (I know if I don't vent well I get a headache from the fumes). So what do you guys think? what have you heard on the subject?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1241 Times on 862 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Yeah, mom and her precious cargo shouldn't be exposed to those kinds of fumes and of course smoke. Why not be 100% safe and clean the guns in the garage or over at a buddy's house.

And make sure your wife takes all her vitamins and supplements! If she's not taking daily two or three quality fish oil capsules high in EPA/DHA, start doing that now.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 01-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #3

haha...yeah she takes her prenatals. Are there any nontoxic alternatives that will work?

Old 01-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8934 Times on 5345 Posts
Likes Given: 11938

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmena View Post
haha...yeah she takes her prenatals. Are there any nontoxic alternatives that will work?
I doubt it. Just do your gun cleaning while she is out running errands or when she's not home. Then immediately take the garbage out where you threw your gun cleaning patches and open a window for a few minutes. That should take care of the smell.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #5

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Don't worry about safe alternatives, do what WOC says, just keep it the hell away from your woman.

If you have a cat, that's now your responsibility too. Along with cleaning if you're like me and you like that clean bleach smell.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

Liked 374 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I know Hopps cleaners really stinks up the house and the smell, although kind of cool, can linger for days. I don't think it's so good for little kids and pregnant mothers. When my grand kids and their mother, with a newborn, were staying here is about when I found out about Sharp Shoot R Precision Products copper cleaner called Wipe-Out and their carbon cleaner called Carb-Out. Seemed to stop everyone from bitching about smell. The Wipe out is a foam bore cleaner and has no noticable smell. I let it soak overnight and then scrub out the bore with a nylon brush and patch dry. Stuff really works good. I also use the Carb-Out but it does have a bit of an order, however, not near as strong as Hopps. Clean guns in garage now and keep even this stuff away from little kids.

Last edited by mrm14; 01-24-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #7

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Yeah, mom and her precious cargo shouldn't be exposed to those kinds of fumes and of course smoke. Why not be 100% safe and clean the guns in the garage or over at a buddy's house.

And make sure your wife takes all her vitamins and supplements! If she's not taking daily two or three quality fish oil capsules high in EPA/DHA, start doing that now.
Q....either you got a lot of kids and grandkids, or mebbe you were a midwife in a past life.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #8

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

for non toxic, I hear good things about Gunzilla. expensive tho.....

Old 01-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #9
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 11003 Times on 4766 Posts
Likes Given: 1808

Bag all used patches, wipedown rags, etc, trash them outside, then go wash good with soap and water. You are picking up lead on your skin from the gun, and it transfers to things you touch. Not only from bullets, but primers are mainly lead azide.

Not much, but there is no PEL for lead for unborn children.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #10

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Bag all used patches, wipedown rags, etc, trash them outside, then go wash good with soap and water. You are picking up lead on your skin from the gun, and it transfers to things you touch. Not only from bullets, but primers are mainly lead azide.

Not much, but there is no PEL for lead for unborn children.
C3 nailed my concern as well. You bring a lot of lead home from the range on your skin and clothes. Lead is a nasty chemical for children, born or unborn. Your best bet is to be as careful as possible with all contaminates. Don't take chances.

Carl Sagan

Newest Threads