Which one?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Which one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Which one?

Hi again folks. I bought a .308 bolt action to set up as a tactical weapon, but I really want to own an AR10, in .308 as well.

Love the DPMS Txhillbilly just bought and posted about but at over a grand, I can't do it. Tapped out and I need a B&C stock for my rifle. So my plan is to buy a lower and build as I go, even if the going is slow.

My question is...... which type lower should I get? They say a lower that says Multi caliber or even unmarked, can do .308.

But I saw a Multi caliber marked S&W M&P lower, sitting next to an unknown manufacturer lower, the only marking on the shop tag I could see said .308. Now, it looked much bigger than the S&W........especially around the magwell area. Way more beefy and the dimension of the magwell/mag receiver looked bigger, wider, longer etc.

Now this is only as a visual through the display glass but I have a phenomenal eye for such things so I think I'm accurate.

What say you folks? Any thoughts or advice will be highly appreciated as usual. You folks are my go to advice column!

Thanks.

Last edited by Fumbles; 11-01-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 707

most likely what you saw was a stripped AR15 lower sitting next to a stripped AR10 lower. when going for an AR10 they look the same but are bigger dimensionally. as far as cost, even building one will probly set you over a 1000 for an AR10. brand? idk. i'll leave that to the experts like agenttiki

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #3

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

If you want a .308 build a .308 , however its not going to be cheap . .223/ 5.56 is going to be reasonably priced and can be built for roughly $550 with a alum t6 stripped lower . It could be done for cheaper with a poly lower but I dont suggest that for a SHTF / battle rifle . Get the stripped lower with the roll mark you like and go with it , the lower doesnt have much moving function and has little stress except in the stock area . Grab one while its still available you'll thank me later

Old 11-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys. Yes I know I was looking at an AR-15 lower and an AR-10 lower. But it was the bigger size of the AR-10 one that grabbed my attention.

So to clear it up.......can an AR-15 lower accept .308 magazines? Or do I HAVE to go with the actual .308 lower?

I'm guessing what you are saying Pure Havoc is the roll mark being either .308 or Multi .....so it looks like either or is okay. I suppose I should get the .308 one but it was waaaaay more expensive.......around $400 and the S&W was $150 or so.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

The "multi" meant 5.56/223 (not .308). There are other calibers that can be shot through the multi, such as 6.8spc, 300blk, etc.

AR-10 and AR-15 parts, pieces, and frames are completely different in size and price. A complete basic 308 lower (only) can be similar in price to a complete milspec 5.56 AR-15 rifle.

I had a budget AR-10. You can get a really solid basic DPMS for $1000 give or take, and it's a good rifle. It'll shoot tight enough groups but is hardly the 1000yd workhorse that some of the $2K+ versions are.

I sold my DPMS LR308b, and would like to some day replace it with a Springfield M1A. Just personal preference.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
Thanks guys. Yes I know I was looking at an AR-15 lower and an AR-10 lower. But it was the bigger size of the AR-10 one that grabbed my attention.

So to clear it up.......can an AR-15 lower accept .308 magazines? Or do I HAVE to go with the actual .308 lower?

I'm guessing what you are saying Pure Havoc is the roll mark being either .308 or Multi .....so it looks like either or is okay. I suppose I should get the .308 one but it was waaaaay more expensive.......around $400 and the S&W was $150 or so.
NO, AR-15 parts, n peices are NOT interchangable with AR-10 parts, and peices. even more so the AR-10 needs the same brand parts. for some reason they differ by brand and are not compatible
the AR-15 are often labelled multi because you can get different uppers, and magazines to shoot a varity of calibers. .223/5.56, 6.5grendal, 6.8spc, .458 socom, .50 beowolf.

AR-10 can be made to shoot different calibers also
.308, 7mm-08, .243

generally AR-10 parts are more expensive.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yup....just got back from the gunshop and was told just that. Thanks you guys. I feel stupid.

However...... .......in my own sort of defense.....I always thought that sounded wrong. Knowing what a .308 round looks like from my time in the service, I just could not see a .308 magazine fitting in an AR-15 lower. I knew the receiver could handle .204 Ruger and 6.8 spc because my LMT has a drop-in interchangeable barrel setup, you can buy the various LMT made barrels from them and the weapon ships with a torque wrench and the correct Torx bit.

The main reason for my confusion was/is a know-it-all brother in law who insisted if it said multi caliber, I could build a .308. He does know a lot about guns, about what I do.......but I still did not believe it....which is why I asked here.

So.........I am thinking you guys may have the best idea......buy a factory built. In the end it will be cheaper and maybe less of a hassle. The "must use same brand parts" comment worried me. I did not know that. So, you cannot just piecemeal an AR together with a la carte parts from whoever?

Otherwise......if I could use any parts and took my time and put all choice parts in a build......would I save money in the long run? Like putting a Geiselle trigger in right away rather than if I bought a built gun, having to spend money on a better trigger later? I could also fit it with a Magpul PRS sniper stock right away rather than replace a basic stock later. Just wondering what you think. Has anyone here built out a .308?

Man, I can't hardly wait to get my bolt rifle. Friday pickup.......Saturday range.