Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Which one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Which one?

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by slowryde45; 08-21-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2010, 06:02 AM   #2

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If I had the choice.... I'd take the Larue... So sexy, So perfect.
I don't really "see" a difference besides the ION Bonding.
and no experience with either(yet)

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 07-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #3

Liked 971 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Tough decision! Very tempted to say Spikes over LaRue to save a few bucks but then it would be great to have the LaRue name and assured quality. They both hit the gong featurewise and spec-wise, so don't know that either is superior to the other, it probably comes down to features you want or the name. I'd be happy with either - they're both top notch. Spikes has come a long way in the last couple years that they can be seriously compared with LaRue.

Excellent point about going all out for a top quality AR with the same money that could be spent on the Ruger.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

How many rounds are we talking before you wear out a 416 stainless barrel? I just bought a DPMS bull 20 and it's 416. It won't see the round count that a lot of ARs will but I'd still like to know.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Last edited by spittinfire; 07-04-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:32 AM   #5

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Well, all research i came up with when I purchased it, were at least 8000, if it's not over cleaned etc.
today's search says that 416 is good with .223 But at pressures around 65k it starts to get problematic?

Another point they made is, if you put enough ammo downrange, an extra couple hundred for a new barrel is nothing compared to how much ammo you put out

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 07-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have heard good and bad things about the OBR. I have no personal experience with it but have heard it is heavy. I looks nice and am sure it is machined like a piece of art not to mention Id bet its accurate as heck. It all boils down to what you will be using it for. All I do at the moment is punch hole in paper so weight is a good thing.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

We just last week received a Stealth upper that I had ordered for my buddy back around May 1st. This thing is built like a tank and it is very well put together. I was very impressed with the product right out of the box and the early report is that it runs like a champ and is very accurate.

I don't have much experience with Spike's. Their upper does look very nice and close to what LaRue is putting out.

What I have come to love about LaRue is their customer service though. When you call, someone with an understanding of the products answers the phone, in English, and will give you answers, even if they have to put you on hold to get the right one. I like that. Their warranty is as good as it gets in the industry (if you aren't happy, we aren't happy) is tough to beat. Now, I haven't tested that warranty with something that was clearly stupid, but I have never had any problem with LaRue even on returns.

I would love to see an upper to upper shoot out though. Get on that, would you Slo?

JD