Omni Hybrid multi cal receiver
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Omni Hybrid multi cal receiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 06:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 514 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Default Omni Hybrid multi cal receiver

The Omni was replaced by their latest and greatest metal/polymer hybrid. It says multi caliber so they have faith in it handle .308 etc. I had anticipated building a .308 but different stripped lower. Thisi Omni is complete with telscoping stock. Ths stock tube is quite a bit heavier than others I've seen.
May have to replace buffer and spring for a heavier one.We'll see.
What i would like to obtain is an A2 configuration with the handle, with heavy 28 in barrel. Sixteen would be nice but would loose quite a bit of velocity. Will lose some with an 18 in barrel. i want a chromed chamber and barrel and the short handguard, and complete carrier and bolt, not plated but anodized. The whole upper parkarized black to match the lower.
Anyone have a line on one. Most I see on the Internet are a4 types with a rail and seperate handle and painted black not parkarized. I would like to this economically, as Uncle Sam doesn't pay that much to Disabled Vets.
Thanks
Oh if there is an easily avilable commercial round, that would perform at longer range that would be good. Cost ,of ammo not too big a deal, I hope, once I get the new press on a bench.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #2

Liked 1128 Times on 796 Posts
Likes Given: 1790

Ati's lower is an AR15 lower. You need an AR10 type lower to handle 308. They are diffrent guns even though they look similar.

I would never consider a poly lower on anything but a 22lr! They have a bad reputation for failure. Multi caliber markings mean AR15 calibers, 5.56, 6.8spc, 6.5 grendle etc. The AR15 has a smaller mag well than the AR10 types, so 308 won't work, can't be made to feed.

If you want an 308 Ar10 take a look at the psa upper and lower for this type of build. Just remember the ar15 and ar10 parts mostly dont interchange. Ar15 is milspec, the ar10 is a proprietary design by Armalite. DPMS also makes a 308 AR, they are not interchangeable! Psa has the cheapest option(~$800-$1000) to build an ar10 right now, they are DPMS pattern. Hope this helps.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-pa10-stripped-upper-and-lower-combo.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-pa10-classic-lower-build-kit.html

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 08-22-2014 at 07:57 PM.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:13 AM   #3

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 118

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Multi caliber is ONLY for the cartridges that will work for that style of Lower. In this case multi means ability to use 223, 5.56, 243, 22LR, 6.8, 300blk and a few others, with a simple swap of proper chambered uppers and bolts(when required) for that caliber.

You need an AR10 Lower to be used for 308 and the other larger/longer length cartridges.

NEVER, use a polymer lower for the more powerful 308 and it's equivilient larger calibers, as it'll never standup safely to the abuse or upper's weight when releasing the rear takedown pin for cleaning.

Last edited by Triumphman; 08-25-2014 at 04:19 AM.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:37 AM   #4

Liked 1530 Times on 874 Posts
Likes Given: 707

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbucket View Post
The Omni was replaced by their latest and greatest metal/polymer hybrid. It says multi caliber so they have faith in it handle .308 etc. I had anticipated building a .308 but different stripped lower. Thisi Omni is complete with telscoping stock. Ths stock tube is quite a bit heavier than others I've seen.
May have to replace buffer and spring for a heavier one.We'll see.
What i would like to obtain is an A2 configuration with the handle, with heavy 28 in barrel. Sixteen would be nice but would loose quite a bit of velocity. Will lose some with an 18 in barrel. i want a chromed chamber and barrel and the short handguard, and complete carrier and bolt, not plated but anodized. The whole upper parkarized black to match the lower.
Anyone have a line on one. Most I see on the Internet are a4 types with a rail and seperate handle and painted black not parkarized. I would like to this economically, as Uncle Sam doesn't pay that much to Disabled Vets.
Thanks
Oh if there is an easily avilable commercial round, that would perform at longer range that would be good. Cost ,of ammo not too big a deal, I hope, once I get the new press on a bench.
Tinbucket,You really need to learn about the differences in the AR-15 and AR-10 style platforms before you go start trying to assemble one yourself.
Better yet,I'd suggest buying a complete rifle,and it will save you a lot of crying down the road. AR-10's come in many different fitment styles,and you have to have all the parts for one particular style in order for everything to fit/work.

Why would you want a carry handle on an AR-10 style weapon? Optics are your friend when it comes to calibers that can shoot a lot farther than you can clearly see.
A 28" barrel on an 308 caliber AR-10? I hope you lift weights a lot,that rifle will weigh a ton,and you will actually lose velocity with it with most styles of bullets. A 20" is a very good compromise,still short enough to maneuver,yet light enough to carry.
A Chrome lined barrel? What,don't you want to have a really accurate rifle. Chrome lined barrels are great on a machine gun,but not so much when it comes to having a precision rifle capable of shooting sub-moa groups at different ranges.

Look at DPMS,they offer many different AR-10 style rifles,and the only thing that needs to be changed on them is the triggers. They shoot excellent,and are priced decently.
North American Hunting Club
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-27-2014, 01:27 AM   #5

Liked 514 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Different paramaters. Idon't have the vision, I had as a kid but still can use iron sights to 300 yards except on rabbits. If shooting long range, I prefere my Wby. Don't hin I want a twenty eight inch baarel on an AR platform. i do use scopes on many of my rifles, icnluding .22s. I missed a terrific 8 point buck, a few years ago because of the infernal scope being in the way. Iron sights and he would have been on my wall. Not sure why I have them on the .22s thoug I wouldn't be surprised my sight is that much worse than a few years ago. My favorite squirrel gun isa Browning .22 lever action without any scope.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #6

Liked 357 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 612

ATI makes poly lowers. Depending on which company, poly lowers have a history of not holding up under medium to heavy useage. Some are better than others. I have known people with Bushy C15's that have gone tens of thousands of rounds and no problems. ATI is starting to get a reputation that is drifting the other way, towards the territory of Vulcan, which is the crappiest company to ever make an AR. I definitely wouldn't shoot a poly .308 at this stage of it's development. As far as an AR type rifle with a 28 inch barrel, the longest I have seen is 24 inch. I can't see anything practical about a 28 inch barrel in anything short of a .50 cal BMG round. Tinbucket, most of us are telling you that you should step back and ask yourself what you really want your AR to do for you. Then ask how we recommend you set it up, and look at all of our responses and consider the merits of each.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #7

Liked 363 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 42

tinbucket after you learn a little more about AR's you will find when comparing the same size muli-cal lowers you can buy quality lowers with in a few dollars of the Omni junk .
sold out for a reason- http://aeroprecisionusa.com/lower-receivers/ar15-stripped-lower-receiver-w-cosmetic-blemishes.html
PSA- http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10446/category/4282/
widners- https://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100001677