olympic arms. yes or no? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

olympic arms. yes or no?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 03:19 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The TRX EXT is a nice light weight rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-17-2011, 01:25 AM   #22

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Since you say you will be going to gunsmith school along the Ohio River there, they will surely teach you how to break down guns, and perhaps they will teach you some AR history too.

Oly started as "SGW" and is THE longest continuous running 100%-in-house AR MANUFACTURER in the USA; they pretty much everything themselves, in-house, save for the mags, plastics, and the parts they need that they cant make fast enough to meet their own build needs.

Oly was still making ARs for civilian use back when Colt bailed out of the market in a fit of political correctness. Oly stuck with us.

Oly invented the flat-top upper. Oly was the first AR mfg to make billet recvrs.

Oly's ancient rep comes from their run of budget-priced cast recvrs they made for private consumption pre-internet days. Most folks didn't have a clue building an AR, had probs - and of course it was all Oly's fault. Oly learned this the hard way and stopped making these idjit-bait recvrs years ago.

Now Oly is as fully busy as can be cranking out guns - and parts and recvrs for other companies with whatever roll-marks they are paid to put on them. They even made parts for Colt, but then who didn't?

Compare that to how many AR uppers, lowers, barrels, BCGs, LPKs that parts-resellers/re-packagers/assemblers like PSA or BCM actually MANUFACTURE by themselves for themselves - or others?

Just how many AR forgeries do you actually think there are here in the USA that are dedicated to the risky business of making a product that can be made illegal and taken off the market overnite with the stroke of a pen?

Not many.

Maybe instead of asking for advice on the 'net where anyone with an axe to grind can answer you with any kind of spew - why not take your Oly to the gunsmith school where your instructors will gladly teach you what to do with it?

Or maybe to a real gun store like Island Firearms or Big Buck or Aces?

Old 12-17-2011, 01:59 AM   #23

Liked 57 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan
Since you say you will be going to gunsmith school along the Ohio River there, they will surely teach you how to break down guns, and perhaps they will teach you some AR history too.

Oly started as "SGW" and is THE longest continuous running 100%-in-house AR MANUFACTURER in the USA; they pretty much everything themselves, in-house, save for the mags, plastics, and the parts they need that they cant make fast enough to meet their own build needs.

Oly was still making ARs for civilian use back when Colt bailed out of the market in a fit of political correctness. Oly stuck with us.

Oly invented the flat-top upper. Oly was the first AR mfg to make billet recvrs.

Oly's ancient rep comes from their run of budget-priced cast recvrs they made for private consumption pre-internet days. Most folks didn't have a clue building an AR, had probs - and of course it was all Oly's fault. Oly learned this the hard way and stopped making these idjit-bait recvrs years ago.

Now Oly is as fully busy as can be cranking out guns - and parts and recvrs for other companies with whatever roll-marks they are paid to put on them. They even made parts for Colt, but then who didn't?

Compare that to how many AR uppers, lowers, barrels, BCGs, LPKs that parts-resellers/re-packagers/assemblers like PSA or BCM actually MANUFACTURE by themselves for themselves - or others?

Just how many AR forgeries do you actually think there are here in the USA that are dedicated to the risky business of making a product that can be made illegal and taken off the market overnite with the stroke of a pen?

Not many.

Maybe instead of asking for advice on the 'net where anyone with an axe to grind can answer you with any kind of spew - why not take your Oly to the gunsmith school where your instructors will gladly teach you what to do with it?

Thanks for the history lesdon. Also i got the rifle from big bucks and i asked online because i trust the people on this forum and i do plan on taking it to the school but there is a minimum 1 year wating period to join and i just put my application in a few weeks ago.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:45 AM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan View Post

Not many.

Or you can look at all the horrible experiences people have had w/ Oly and draw your own conclusions. Oly may crank out a bunch of ARs but they still get it wrong way to often for most of us to trust w/ our money. Add, that you can get a better rifle (materials and assembly wise) for the same price and it's a no brainer.

I couldn't care less that they make everything in house. It's the end product that matters. Take Daniel Defense, they make their stuff in house and get it right damn near every single time.

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-17-2011, 06:39 AM   #25

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1992d View Post
Exactly! what do you guys think a good reasonably priced brand is $750 max price
The brand new RRA from Joeboboutfitters.com

I don't care if Chuck Norris says Olympic Arms is junk.

I had an A2 carbine, and have an A3 rifle, neither has had any issues. Better trigger than Dpms lpk. And at the $550 I paid for the A2... at the time, only used guns were at that price.

That's 2 for 2. Batting 100%. But wait, there's more. My buddies K16B Olympic runs fine too. That's 3 for 3. Got another buddy with an Olympic A3 pencil barrel. No problems. That's 4 for 4.

My $1500 LMT/RRA/WOA custom build has had more issues than any of those Olympics. BUT, non of those Olympics ran 3/8" groups at 100 yds either.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Though not Chuck Norris I'll trust the word of guys who use their ARs to scratch out a living and attend classes. It never fails that if there was one of these Oly, BM, DPMS level rifles in a class they fail. Now thats a bad track record.

I dodged a huge bullet when I went to purchase my first AR. I didn't have a lot of money or knowledge and had contacted Oly about one of their K3. Knowing what I know now it would have cost me an arm and a leg. The only thing that would have been left would have been the receivers.

Reliability should be the norm.

Thankfully you and your friends haven't had any problems.

Quote:

Old 12-21-2011, 03:31 AM   #27

Well 1000 or so rounds down range from my Oly K16 not the first hickup. 3/4" groups at 100 and some hogs DRT from an extra ear hole, I cant complain.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:45 AM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyoakman3006 View Post
Well 1000 or so rounds down range from my Oly K16 not the first hickup. 3/4" groups at 100 and some hogs DRT from an extra ear hole, I cant complain.
How were those rounds fired? In what time frame were they fired? How many Olys do you have to offer up as a sample, just one?

Quote:

Old 12-21-2011, 04:16 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I noticed that Oly seems to be the only place making a 10mm upper. That would be one heckuva hog gun, IMO. Of course, i think it is recoil rather than gas operated.

Why doesn't anybody else make one?

Old 12-21-2011, 04:31 AM   #30

I've got one and two of my buddies have the same rifle no problems from them either, both of them got there's after firing mine. It's true I haven't shot 500 in a row but I couldn't afford too anyway. I'm not planning on going into combat with the damn thing. Have you personally seen a oly fail or where you just like all the others that heard it from a friend of a friend.