Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Olympic Arms Ar-15 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/olympic-arms-ar-15-a-27975/)

zeskullmaster 06-06-2010 02:18 AM

Olympic Arms Ar-15

I bought this AR-15 from a private party for a good price it has a 16 inch barrel is pretty accurate and 223 cal. ammo feeds no problem already fired a coulple 30 round mags and they fed real smooth then by accident I found that the safety selector goes one notch farther and then it goes full auto I was shall we say a bit suprised about this so I took it apart and put it away then I ordered a new set of lower springs and sears and safety lever .if this doesnt work I think I might need to destroy the lower end and get a new lower end and start all over again... anyone else run into a problem like this ???:eek:

cpttango30 06-06-2010 02:57 AM

First thing I would do is take it to a gunsmith and get it checked out. If it is malfunctioning get it fixed. If it is not malfunctioning change out the parts and place in a bag with a brick and throw them in a river or lake.

You do not want to get caught with a unregistered Class III firearm I can tell you that much. I also would not ever sell to some IDIOT on the internet.

bgeddes 06-06-2010 04:59 AM

Quote:

First thing I would do is take it to a gunsmith and get it checked out. If it is malfunctioning get it fixed. If it is not malfunctioning change out the parts and place in a bag with a brick and throw them in a river or lake.

You do not want to get caught with a unregistered Class III firearm I can tell you that much. I also would not ever sell to some IDIOT on the internet.
Cpt,

Doesn't the lower have to be machined for the 'special' parts to be able to function?

Zes,

Listen to the Cpt. Get a NEW lower, build or buy, but disassemble, vaporize, or beam up the one you have.

Dillinger 06-06-2010 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgeddes (Post 295616)
Cpt,

Doesn't the lower have to be machined for the 'special' parts to be able to function?

The subtles between a basic "AR" and an "M16" lower are quite small really. Yes, there are some "extra" machine steps that are needed, but there are, well, pretty basic.

Zes - If what you say is true, you need to get the unit checked out by a professional. If you have an illegally modified AR lower - you are looking at quite a stay at Club Fed just for the possession of said lower.

JD

FlyingDesertEagle 06-06-2010 07:50 PM

this thread scared me to read/ I'd dump or torch cut the lower receiver ASAP

why bother even disassembling it?

(especially now a days when lower parts kits and receivers aren't selling for CRAZY prices anymore)

willfully armed 06-07-2010 02:14 AM

Remove and replace the LPK. No need to trash a good lower. Sounds like someone has the 3 postion LPK and FA bolt installed. Also not something to go posting about the webz.

bgeddes 06-07-2010 03:35 AM

Quote:

If you have an illegally modified AR lower
So a machined FA lower requires paperwork where a SA does not?

This was what I believed to be true, but the Title II is kind of foreign to me.

willfully armed 06-07-2010 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgeddes (Post 296013)
So a machined FA lower requires paperwork where a SA does not?

This was what I believed to be true, but the Title II is kind of foreign to me.

TO legally posess, the FA lower would have to be pre 86 and NFA registered.

You only have to fill out a 4473 on a normal lower.

zeskullmaster 06-07-2010 08:00 PM

I have taken the lower unit apart and tossed everything that was inside the lower unit When I can save up enough I will take it into a smithy I know and see if he can salvage the lower unit if not he can bust it up and I will put the upper section up for sale and go back to my old stand by a SKS that hasnt failed me yet we have been thru some rough times out in the mountains and we can do it again not as light as the Black rifle but still works when I need it thanks for the info.......:(