Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Olympic arms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4462 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Wasn't directed at your post. Just something I see often while cruising forums, and it just doesn't apply to guns. Any product can be attacked, sometimes warranted but most often not.
this is very true and a lot of it stems from "experts" who run tacti-cool training schools or write self promoting articles in gun rags. the opinions based on little fact and a lot of hype get picked up by the interweb crowd and there ya go.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #12

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As for the notion of "hate" directed in a borad-brush; there is Century Arms. I know that I have read some positives about their "C15" retro-refurb-SP1, but in most circles the C15 would be greatly derided, even thought a lot of the gun is ex-military Colt AR.

I don't work for CAI and have nothing to gain, but folks blindly pin everything about a Cent gun on CAI themselves, when AFAIK - they merely job out all those Century-branded gun-builds to 3rd part smiths and mfgs. Century provided the parts, the builder was supposed to do the work.

For better or worse, Cent's business model has brought a lot of affordable guns to the masses that otherwise would not have been; like their Sterling MK6 carbine or HK-93 "C93". These re-assembled mix-master parts-guns make a great suitable substitute for the uber-expensive pre-ban versions out there, for shooters who would otherwise never been able to have spent crazy money on a pre-ban.

And if you get a turd; keep at Century cust service until they get it right. It may take a gun - or two, but they usually make it right. If enough Century customers hold their feet to the fire, their products will improve.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a serious problem with the direction this thread is heading. Two pages deep and no PICS! WTF man? It's law that a new AR thread is accompanied with pics.

FWIW, I came extremely close to going with the Oly .300 OSSM instead of my LR308. The only thing that stopped me was ammo price and availability. Nothing about Oly vs. whoever or any of that nonsense. I'd add an Oly to the stable any time, and I may still add the .300 OSSM at a later time if I start to reload.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

This thread might be of some worthwhile reading....

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/i-am-considering-purchasing-olympic-ar-good-still-sub-par-21667/

JD

Old 02-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

In my opinion Olympic Arms receivers are fine. They went through a growth period where their Q.C. went in the crapper, but their machines were still set for quality receivers.

I have a couple of receivers from Olympic and have NEVER had a problem with FIT or FINISH. They aren't "high end, name brand" but a lower receiver is a lower receiver in the real world and while Billet is the sexy new term, there is nothing wrong with an Oly Receiver.

JD

Old 02-20-2011, 11:11 PM   #16

i loved the other thread that was posted for reading, good things were said but i had to laugh at the one posted by the guy in jo. co. ks that said Oly had been bought out by Remington.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee