Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Olympic arms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Olympic arms

So I just bought there K16 SST for 800 bucks I have been lookin at Bushmaster and Smith and Wesson, I was kinda worried at first because of the price but did alittle research and it seems to me that the only real differance is the chrome lining figured since the barrel is stainless it should hold up just wondering if my thinking is correct, I've put a few hundered round through it no jams shoots smooth seems like a tight rifle anything I should know? The guy at the shop said I've got 30 days and if there is anything that I was not happy about I could bring it back and get a store credit for the full amount of the rifle.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Default Olympic Arms

If you enjoyed shooting your new rifle and it functioned well, you have pretty much answered all of your questions. I have a DPMS carbine and it hits the target just where I point it every time. Hopefully my recent trigger upgrade will result in even better results.

Enjoy shooting your rifle. It sounds like a keeper to me!

Old 02-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
If you enjoyed shooting your new rifle and it functioned well, you have pretty much answered all of your questions. I have a DPMS carbine and it hits the target just where I point it every time. Hopefully my recent trigger upgrade will result in even better results.

Enjoy shooting your rifle. It sounds like a keeper to me!
Great answer! Regardless of what you buy, someone will always say "XXXX" is a better deal or "YYYY" is the be all end all. If YOU are satisfied with the rifle, then all is good as far as I'm concerned.

If you're considering resale value in the equation that changes the situation. Some brands hold value more than others and Olympic is not one of the brands that holds value well. If you intend to keep it and shoot it - you're good to go...

Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #4

I bought a Oly Plinker waaaay back. No CL barell, but is a great gun. Goes bang every time and really wasnt a bunch of cash. Dont let the non CL bug ya. Just keep it clean and it will run well. Still have my Oly and I Keep it at my camp in the summer. It has well over 3000 rounds for it and a bunch of people learned to shoot from it.

IF ya go to some of the ar boards, Oly has bad rep. that is because it is not the new guy on the block with all the bells and whistles. Dont let that sway ya. IF it is working and accurate keep it and enjoy it.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #5

Oly makes a good gun , nothing wrong with them. They did bet a bad rep years ago but those problems were addressed and taken care of, tell me one co. that doesnt have a problem sometime. As far as being the new kid on the block they are the second oldest manufacturers of the AR and they make all of thier stuff as well as making parts for others. I guess you can tell that i shooy a Oly, they may not be a cadilac but they are a working mans gun that goes bang when the trigger is pulled and are accurate to boot.
mossyoakman do a search for "OA2 forum" its the site where the oly guys hang out and its nice that you can talk to others with them and people who not only work for oly but owns the company. good luck and just feed the poor thing i can here crying right now.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 02-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Oly is a decent range firearm.

You're correct about SS being more than adequite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Great answer! Regardless of what you buy, someone will always say "XXXX" is a better deal or "YYYY" is the be all end all. If YOU are satisfied with the rifle, then all is good as far as I'm concerned.

If you're considering resale value in the equation that changes the situation. Some brands hold value more than others and Olympic is not one of the brands that holds value well. If you intend to keep it and shoot it - you're good to go...
The most important thing is that he is happy.

The only thing I will add is that for $800 he could have had an AR w/ higher resale value, a better rep for being more reliable, and one made of better quality materials. Many of us wont ever see the differences though. But why not, its basically like getting all those upgrades for free.

But then it always comes back to the most important thing. Is the buyer happy w/ their purchase.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:19 AM   #7

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not that you asked...

I scored a BRAND-NEW Oly GI-16 a couple years ago; it is basically their entry-level "Plinker Plus" 16" A1-upper - but with the CAR tele-stock installed.
I mention "new" as it seems that my GI-16 doesn't fit the Oly-hate mold and I don't want you to think these were after-the fact mods...

According to the Oly catalog, my gun is not supposed to have this - but it has a stainless 16" HBAR installed. Guess thay had no standard bbls that day on the line and Oly substituted this bbl at no extra charge.

It also has a "mil-spec" buffer tube as opposed to a commercial tube, and fat M4 beer-can handguards as opposed to slender CAR handguards - which is again counter to Oly-haters. And the gas-key is staked to the bolt-carrier - just as good as my Colt AR, opposite of the Oly-hate.

The gun is tightly put together, ZERO upper/lower movement. Edit: If I could take my GI-16 and a similar Colt/S&W/BCM/RRA and blind-fold someone to handle them - unless they can read roll-marks with their fingertips they'd be REALLY hard-pressed to say which was which.

As with all new Plinkers; the lower is FORGED and with a beveled mag-well edge, it is not cast as the ancient "Plinkers" were in the distant past.

Some mags drop free, some do not. But it has been 100% fine with CT, Orlites, SIGs, Colts (some Colts were tight), and even poly Jamlines.

Never ever ever a problem with this gun.

Go to any AR board on the 'net and you'll find a brand du-jour. I've seen Stag-hate, Oly-hate, DPMS-hate, Bush-hate, DelTon-hate, RRA-hate, SIG-hate, and so on. Only seen actual pics posted of blown-up Colts and Smiths. Go figure.

Due to Oly-hate, my resale value is zip - but all the more reason to keep it as a KISS carbine and shoot it, while the Pony-gun stays cozy in the safe to sell at retirement time.

Last edited by nfafan; 02-19-2011 at 04:35 AM.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #8

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you are happy with it and it goes bang when you pull the trigger you're all set. Don't pay attention to what others say unless they have specific information relating to the product in question. I get tired of hearing people call a product junk and then when called out to explain what makes it junk they have no answer other than "well I heard from...". That's how all this hate stuff gets started.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

No hate here. Just a comment based on value and economics.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #10

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
No hate here. Just a comment based on value and economics.
Wasn't directed at your post. Just something I see often while cruising forums, and it just doesn't apply to guns. Any product can be attacked, sometimes warranted but most often not.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.