Old man wants to get a "New-Rifle". - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Old man wants to get a "New-Rifle".

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 04:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGrizzly View Post
Just finished my "Introduction" Post".......so here is my request for some info on gettin' myself an AR -15 type rifle. At my age it may seem nuts, but I love gun & shootin'

I've done a little research on the net and have come to a preliminary conclusion that a: "LMT" Defender Standard Model in 5.56; SOPMOD stock, 16" barrel.........would maybe be what I'm looking for. Price range is about where I'd like to be and since it will be primarily a "fun-gun" with some possible use on varmints (coyote, marmot, etc); and just possibly have it handy when "El Lobo" happens to come lopeing across my place....yeah, we've got 'em ------way too many!

I've got a Leupold II 1 3/4 to 5 (about 20 yrs old)........would that be a possible choice if I want to scope it?

Any and all comments, opinions and suggestions will be welcome. Thanks.
........Well after doing a lot more research and taking my time...............this is what I've ended up with:

A LMT Flat Top UPPER consisting of a 20" S.S. Match Grade , 1 in 8 twist Med/Heavy barrel (NATO 5.56 Chamber & Throat) with a Midwest Industries "T" Series, 12" long Quad Rail Free Floating HandGuard complete with the other std features that LMT includes on this level of UPPER.

The LOWER assembly is by CMMG with a Magpul ACS Stock and a Rock River 2-Stage Trigger. Fully extended (at 15 1/8 LOP) the stock fits me perfectly and by dumb luck works out very well for the 3 1/2" eye relief for the 4.5 to 14 x 40 $129. Mueller Scope that so far seems to be a well balanced addition to this rifle. So far have only fired 4 rounds through it to get the scope on target at 50 yards. To get some brass for reloading, I was able to buy a carton of (25) (20 round) boxes of Federal American Eagle 55gr FMJ (M193/AE223J) for $150. and no tax here in MT. Thought it would be a good way to get used to the rifle, sight it in and also see how it groups at 100 with the 55gr bullets in the 1 in 8 twist and just have some 'fun" with it.

I'll let you know how it likes the 55gr M193 ammo and then will load up some 63 gr Sierras over about 24 or 25 grs of VARGET on top of CCI 400 primers.

It's not the lightest rifle I have (would guess at about 8 pounds), but for my intended useage it should work out well.

Being new to the AR15 and reloading for it..................I'm obviously open to any comments and "Tips" you may care to offer. Thanks.

Afterthought:.......Was very surprised that there is virtually NO recoil and obviously it functioned perfectly. Will be doing some more shooting this week to get it sighted in to be 3" high at 100 yards (this is the way I have my 243, 22/250, 7mm mag & 338 win mag sighted in.) It works for me.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #12

Liked 1060 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

Hey thanks for updating us on your new AR, MG! Sounds great and I'm glad you're happy with it.

You know we need pictures and soon don't you?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #13

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

i wanna see, i wanna see,lol, post a pic please

Old 10-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #14

a final build report and no pics?!?!

travesty......

Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatrat View Post
a final build report and no pics?!?!

travesty......
I have never learned how to post pictures when doing posts on a Forum such as this.

However I have a son-in-law that is knowledgeable in things like that. I will get with him quite soon and then will get some pics on here of this AR.

Thanks for all your comments.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #16

Sweet deal. Sounds like a really nice rifle. With that 1-8 barrel, you may even be able to get away with 69 gr bullets. Sierra makes a 69 gr Matchking that I load for my Savage Model 110. Great little bullet. Just a thought.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"