oh boy...not sure about this build...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > oh boy...not sure about this build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default oh boy...not sure about this build...

Guys I just got my lower parts kit in, and I'm thinking that I am going to have to get some sort of directions or video or something. No way I can just figure this out...any advice...I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7025 Times on 4228 Posts
Likes Given: 8469

I know there are many experienced AR builders here. They'll come to your rescue. Also, I bet there are a LOT of Youtube videos to help. Don't get frustrated. I think when you break it down piece by piece it won't be so overwhelming.

I can't wait to see the finished product.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #3

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Do not be overwhelmed!! Check youtube.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2430 Times on 1203 Posts
Likes Given: 1232

Do not become discouraged! We are here to help! All you have to do is ask or PM us. You will find the lower is fairly simple when you proceed. We can guide you through the entire process. Also check out some of our previous threads concerning building a lower receiver! We use to have a designation by our titles advising who were builders and experienced here on the site but do not at present. So just ask!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #5

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Check the Stickies at the top of this section. JD (Dillinger) did a pretty good write up on how to build a lower receiver. Also, there is a lot of good stuff on You Tube.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2430 Times on 1203 Posts
Likes Given: 1232

For starters you will find two small detents sometimes they have a gold cast to them and should have a point on at least one end, Some have points on both ends. The point always contacts the track in the Take Down or Pivot Pin. They are for your take down and pivot pins. They are accompanied by two slim springs around 3/4 of an inch long and are fairly flimsy when flipped with your finger. They are both for the take down and pivot pin. There is another harder spring that looks very similar to the take down and pivot pin but it is *stiffer when flipped with your finger. It and the Bullet Shaped Detent are for your Safety Selector Lever. The little Bolt Catch Plunger that is round on the end with a short spring that has the *same size coils on both ends is for your Bolt Catch. The tail shaft of the Plunger goes into the spring and the spring goes in the Bolt Catch Plunger hole first followed by the It also has a small roll pin that fits the size of the hole on the receiver where the Bolt Catch goes. *Trick! Start the Roll Pin into the receiver slightly before inserting the Bolt Catch Spring and Plunger. The short spring that has one coil *larger on one end than the other is for the Discinnector, The Large Coil on this Disconnector Spring goes down into the recess on the trigger and snaps into place (Retained) and the window in the bottom of the Disconnector sets on top of the Disconnector Spring. Other than getting the hammer spring correctly installed and the proper engagement with the Buffer Retainer and Extension Tube if you have a collapsible stock that is pretty much all there is to it that might be frustrating. And we can assist you with that when you get to it. Let us know!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's not that hard, you can do it. Here's a couple of links to some Youtube instructional videos I found helpful:

Part 1

Part 2

Here also is a link to some good and detailed instructions with pictures on how to do it.:

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

The only real tricky part is the front detent pin and the bolt catch pin. Take your time and go slow.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 12-06-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #8

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

ahahaha, bring over a six pack, I'll help you sort it out!

first things first.

Find a checklist and make sure you have all your parts.

After that, just watch those vids above and have at it, really man, its not hards. Just one step at a time.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #9

Built my 1st AR using the guide on AR15.com, A small hammer and a couple of pin punches and an armorers wrench. The thing went together without a hitch.You can do the same.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #10

So where's this guide at on ar15.com? All I see are a bunch of threads and forums...

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\