Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   NY AR-15 User's I need help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ny-ar-15-users-i-need-help-14012/)

dynastyofnext 05-21-2009 12:09 AM

NY AR-15 User's I need help
 
I'm lost on which parts I can or can't buy. Can I go pre-ban? Does anyone know the boundaries I have to stay within to get an AR-15? I read somewhere that the muzzle flash hider has to be attached perminantly; is this true?

RL357Mag 05-21-2009 02:35 AM

Unless you are buying a used AR or bringing one in from out of state, you don't need to be overly concerned. Any in-state dealer or out-of-state manufacturer selling AR's in NY state can only sell AWB Compliant AR's in NY State. When the 1994 ban sun-setted for the rest of the country, IT DID NOT for NY'ers. And yes, flash suppressors and muzzle devices must be permanently attached. No bayonet lugs, and 10 rd. mag capacity only.

bkt 05-21-2009 10:19 AM

What RL357Mag says is correct. But if you intend to buy parts and assemble a rifle yourself, you need to be aware of what is and is not legal.

In New York, a semi-auto rifle (or shotgun) can only have two of the following "evil" features: collapsible or folding stock, pistol grip, detachable magazine, threaded barrel, flash hider, bayonet lug, grenade launcher. Since an AR must have a pistol grip and detachable magazine, the other stuff is a no-no.

If you're ordering parts like a collapsible stock, online sellers WILL ship one to you because it is not banned in and of itself until you put it on a post-ban lower. Same goes for an upper with a bayonet lug, threaded barrel, etc.

Also note that in New York the magazine is considered a separate entity from the firearm and there are rules around those. You can't have a magazine made after September 1994 that holds more than 10 rounds. Any magazine with a date stamp or other identifying mark that establishes it was made after that date and which holds more than 10 rounds is illegal. Any magazine with no markings whatsoever IS LEGAL regardless of capacity.

If the lower you are using was made before September 1994, you do not need to worry about these restrictions.

dynastyofnext 05-21-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 107729)
What RL357Mag says is correct. But if you intend to buy parts and assemble a rifle yourself, you need to be aware of what is and is not legal.

In New York, a semi-auto rifle (or shotgun) can only have two of the following "evil" features: collapsible or folding stock, pistol grip, detachable magazine, threaded barrel, flash hider, bayonet lug, grenade launcher. Since an AR must have a pistol grip and detachable magazine, the other stuff is a no-no.

If you're ordering parts like a collapsible stock, online sellers WILL ship one to you because it is not banned in and of itself until you put it on a post-ban lower. Same goes for an upper with a bayonet lug, threaded barrel, etc.

Also note that in New York the magazine is considered a separate entity from the firearm and there are rules around those. You can't have a magazine made after September 1994 that holds more than 10 rounds. Any magazine with a date stamp or other identifying mark that establishes it was made after that date and which holds more than 10 rounds is illegal. Any magazine with no markings whatsoever IS LEGAL regardless of capacity.

If the lower you are using was made before September 1994, you do not need to worry about these restrictions.


hmmmm so what your saying is if i hold 30 rounds in my hand and hand feed it I can have a collapsible stock? lol The regular stocks look horrible. Is the stock thing flexable like ripping that federal sticker off a mattress, or do they have you register it with the AR?

dog2000tj 05-22-2009 05:14 AM

If you must have a collapsible stock than it will need to be pinned = permanently fixed.

Like bkt stated, an AR has a pistol grip and detachable mag, so that would use up 2 allowable features. An adjustable stock would need to be pinned.

dynastyofnext 05-22-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 108050)
If you must have a collapsible stock than it will need to be pinned = permanently fixed.

Like bkt stated, an AR has a pistol grip and detachable mag, so that would use up 2 allowable features. An adjustable stock would need to be pinned.

So if something is permanently fixed to the AR it wont count as an allowable? Or does that only apply to the muzzle and stock?

dog2000tj 05-23-2009 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynastyofnext (Post 108146)
only apply to the muzzle and stock?

Bingo.:)

In NY, a complaint post ban AR would need a fixed/pinned stock and a permanently attached flash hider.

dynastyofnext 05-23-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 108330)
Bingo.:)

In NY, a complaint post ban AR would need a fixed/pinned stock and a permanently attached flash hider.

Well I guess that wont be too bad I dont mind pinning the muzzle or stock down for a first AR.

bkt 05-23-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 108330)
Bingo.:)

In NY, a complaint post ban AR would need a fixed/pinned stock and a permanently attached flash hider.

Actually, you can have absolutely nothing on the end of the barrel -- no hider, break or threads. That's perfectly legal.

There are ways to permanently attach a mag to an AR and that would theoretically allow you to have a collapsible stock if that's what you really want.

Never, ever make the mistake of assuming no one would give a sh*t how you have your AR outfitted. If you're at a range and someone takes you to task, you could be in hot water. If you want the features you want, that's fine -- go buy a pre-ban lower and there will be no problem.

DuckA 05-27-2009 02:06 AM

There are tons of different styles of fixed stocks for the AR. Do some looking around and you will see some that look really good.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:03 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.