Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Is this normal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5324 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

My colt sp1 has always had some slop. My rra lower and uppers fit together rock solid.

Just depends on the maker.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

MY stag is one tight puppy. I always have to tap my pin out and align with the punch to get it back in. No movement at all on that dude.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I won't say it's uncommon for this to occur, but I am surprised given the quality of the manufacturer in this case. LMT isn't a cheap, lower shelf model.

All the folks above have given good info. I am with Jpyle that you might want to check the spring tension on the rear detent.

Your rear take down pin should require you to clamp down on the upper and to firmly press it out. It definitely should not be "easy" or "light pressure" to just pull it out.

The Accu-wedge is a great product and will serve you well. Be careful. You will IMMEDIATELY encounter people that will give you all sorts of Interwebz BS about how the Accu-Wedge is going to immediately come apart during your first real shooting session, the parts will tumble down into the trigger mech and leave you dead in a ditch.

DO NOT listen to these people. The Accu-Wedge is a very good product and if you just look at it for wear when you clean the weapon, you will see IF it gets to the point of actually seeing wear.

For what it's worth I have seen them get discolored from use, but I have NEVER seen one disintegrate into pieces and lock up a weapon.

If this rubberized wonder is somehow demonized beyond belief in your personal shooting circle, there is another option.

JP Enterprises make "Anti-Walk" pins for the FCG and the Pivot and Take Down pins. Once you install these, "field" stripping becomes a PITA because you need the tools to disassemble them, but it will be a more "steel" solution to your problem.

Personally I like the Accu-Wedge if your rifle experiences this minor issue.

Good luck.

JD

Old 10-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #14

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

never noticed any "slop" in my bushmaster AR, but then again, maybe that's because the first "AR" I ever handled was a military M16A2, and it felt "normal" to me.

as long as your sights are not slopping around .011" then you'll be fine!!

if my AR does have that slop and I've just never noticed it, it certainly has not affected my accuracy any. I can maintain quarter sized groups at 30 yards with iron sights, and can hit competition "gongs" and "flash back" targets out to 400 yards with just the iron sights. and never even "dialed in the distance" on the rear sight, just aimed a little high and a little left because of the distance, and the cross wind, took about 2 or 3 shots to find target, and from then on, hit it consistently.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
.......... I am surprised given the quality of the manufacturer in this case. LMT isn't a cheap, lower shelf model.
Yeah JD, that's kinda how I am looking at it. I am curious to how LMT responds to my E mail.

After I hear from LMT, if it is considered within their tolerances, I will definitely order that Accu-wedge. Thanks for the word of confidence on that.

Grateful to trip286 for the heads-up on that.

Thanks all on the great info so far.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
Yeah JD, that's kinda how I am looking at it. I am curious to how LMT responds to my E mail.

After I hear from LMT, if it is considered within their tolerances, I will definitely order that Accu-wedge. Thanks for the word of confidence on that.

Grateful to trip286 for the heads-up on that.

Thanks all on the great info so far.
Fumbles - Please keep us informed.

There is no limit to the number of companies that built a good reputation and had some production issues from growing too fast.

If LMT is the quality company we have all come to respect, I would expect them to be concerned about this issue and make amends.

Good look.

JD

Old 10-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #17

Likes Given: 4

I'm not sure this is a big deal. My pony has a wedge in it. I thought it was from the factory.
I was thinking about getting one for my PSA home build, but it doesn't rattle or wiggle at all.

I want an LMT when I grow up. Rattle or no

Built AR-15, 5.56 & .300 AAC Blackout tops
Yugoslavian AK-47
Remington 1100 Tactical Shotgun
Remington 1100 Shotgun
Crosman 760 pump gun <smirk>
M1 Garand .30-06
M1903 Springfield Sporter .30-06
Sig Sauer P250 Sub Compact 9mm
Sig Sauer TacOps 1911