Noob question here, Stoner design enhancement?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Noob question here, Stoner design enhancement?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 01:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default Noob question here, Stoner design enhancement?

Hey y'all. I have been reading for the last couple of years about the relative merits of AKs, ARs, and other rifles. Each has it's advantages and it's disadvantages, that's part of the fun! One thing I have not seen discussed is linearity.

The AR (to the best of my knowledge, which could be wrong) is the first shoulder fired weapon to have a completely linear discharge from the end of the barrel (or muzzle break as the case may be) all the way through to the shoulder.

Until Stoner's design, all the shouldering was below the firing line of the rifle. Having the shoulder below the firing line ought to cause or at least facilitate muzzle rise.

I'm a neophyte here, but I do understand a bit about physics. Am I making too much of this, or is that small physical advancement somewhat over looked?

I'll hang up and take your replies!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2014, 01:32 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1230 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 530

Nope, not correct.

In-line stock designs were around long before the AR was developed.

In fact, the Johnson LMG was a US military small arm that had an in-line stock design that was produced during WWII.

The FG-42 had an in-line stock design.

The StG-44 had an in-line stock design.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:37 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6010 Times on 3148 Posts
Likes Given: 431

the stock design doesnt have much to do with it. the elimination of the reciprocating piston gas system above or below the barrel has everything to do with the comparatively reduced muzzle rise. all the moving mass and gas forces are in line with the barrel and receiver.

that being said, the differences in where the gas is being cycled in terms of muzzle rise are so minor as to be a non-factor. the thing that makes an ar15 recoil inline better than say an ak47 or 308 semi is the lightweight bullet it fires. the stock reduces felt recoil only.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-01-2014, 01:51 AM   #4

Respectfully, the Stg 44 didn't have what I am referring to as a linear design. There is a drop in the buttstock that makes the shoulder somewhat below the firing plane of the barrel.

I've no doubt that your knowledge of firearms far exceeds mine, but the Stg 44 doesn't quite dissuade my
opinion.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/MP44_-_Tyskland_-_8x33mm_Kurz_-_Arm%C3%A9museum.jpg

Last edited by Bevo; 06-01-2014 at 01:53 AM.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the stock design doesnt have much to do with it. the elimination of the reciprocating piston gas system above or below the barrel has everything to do with the comparatively reduced muzzle rise. all the moving mass and gas forces are in line with the barrel and receiver.

that being said, the differences in where the gas is being cycled in terms of muzzle rise are so minor as to be a non-factor. the thing that makes an ar15 recoil inline better than say an ak47 or 308 semi is the lightweight bullet it fires. the stock reduces felt recoil only.
Thank you for your perspective, JonM.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:07 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1230 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Respectfully, the Stg 44 didn't have what I am referring to as a linear design. There is a drop in the buttstock that makes the shoulder somewhat below the firing plane of the barrel.

I've no doubt that your knowledge of firearms far exceeds mine, but the Stg 44 doesn't quite dissuade my
opinion.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/MP44_-_Tyskland_-_8x33mm_Kurz_-_Arm%C3%A9museum.jpg
Is it just me, or is the top of that stock above the barrel?

Old 06-02-2014, 12:19 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2995 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

The StG 44 DOES have a barrel that is in line with the stock. There just happens to be some material that sits above the line.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball