No Fricken Gunsmiths!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > No Fricken Gunsmiths!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Default No Fricken Gunsmiths!

I've been looking to have my Bushy re-barreled for a about a month now.

7 trips to different gun stores...
4 recommendations of 3 different gun smiths...
1 call back to tell me he'd be happy to re- barrel my AR, however, he's off to the Shot Show so it will be two weeks before he can begin!

It MUST take an artistic mind to be a gunsmith because I've YET to meet one that was not a complete Fricken IDIOT when it comes to running a business. Which is probably why I've never seen one still in business after more than 2 to 3 years.

OK, end of RANT!

So...I just picked up a new LMT M4 complete upper to get my zombie popper back up and running.

Tack

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Get a $20 tool and change the barrel yourself.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-18-2012, 06:27 AM   #3

Liked 295 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Buy a GOOD wrench and a GOOD receiver block to hold it in a STURDY bench vise.
Do that and it's an easy job.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #4

This is so easy to do! The biggest thing I will tell you to avoid - so not torque down you flash hider/brake with a receiver block at the other end - you'll tweak or bend the extension pin (kind of important as it aligns your barrel with the receiver and allows your bolt to go home). Speaking of bolts - will your current bolt match your new barrel/extension?

Save yourself the hassle and either buy barrel vise, or use some wood and water hose and torque on that when installing your FH/compensator.

But seriously - you don't need a gunsmith to change the barrel. I used the standard barrel wrench to put all mine on.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #5

Fellas

All good advice, I'm sure it is easy but between work, wife, 4 kids, the house, both mother-inlaws...I'm lucky to get to the range twice a month.

Some folks just do not have the time to do this sort of thing. I'm one of them, hence my purchase of a new LMT M4 upper because I do have time to swap over my quad rail, eotech, and rezero when I hit the range this Saturday.

Sorry for the rant and thanks for not pointing out that MY panties were in a bunch.

Tack

Old 01-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Fellas

All good advice, I'm sure it is easy but between work, wife, 4 kids, the house, both mother-inlaws...I'm lucky to get to the range twice a month.

Some folks just do not have the time to do this sort of thing. I'm one of them, hence my purchase of a new LMT M4 upper because I do have time to swap over my quad rail, eotech, and rezero when I hit the range this Saturday.

Sorry for the rant and thanks for not pointing out that MY panties were in a bunch.

Tack
Here's the pics. The new LMT is mounted on my original Bushmaster Lower w/drop in Chip McCormick single stage trigger. Anyone considering one of the drop in trigger groups should really grab one. Mine breaks like a glass rod at 3.5 lbs and has been running strong in this lower for 8 years now.

TACK
lmt-2.jpg   lmt.jpg  

Old 01-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #7

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Here's the pics. The new LMT is mounted on my original Bushmaster Lower w/drop in Chip McCormick single stage trigger. Anyone considering one of the drop in trigger groups should really grab one. Mine breaks like a glass rod at 3.5 lbs and has been running strong in this lower for 8 years now.

TACK
Whatcha soon with your old upper?

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 01-28-2012, 04:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
Whatcha soon with your old upper?
What I'm "doing" with my old upper...

Tossing it toward the back of my safe until I find the time and Money to figure out the re-barrel thing.

I have my M4 and a second 20" free float with a fixed 10 mil dot scope for longer range fun.

I'm thinking I'd enjoy having a version of the A2 I carried for many years so perhaps I'll put an 18" w/A2 birdcage, reinstall the "never used" detach carry handle and standard A2 handguards...

Tack

Old 01-28-2012, 04:33 AM   #9

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

What I'm "doing" with my old upper...

Tossing it toward the back of my safe until I find the time and Money to figure out the re-barrel thing.

I have my M4 and a second 20" free float with a fixed 10 mil dot scope for longer range fun.

I'm thinking I'd enjoy having a version of the A2 I carried for many years so perhaps I'll put an 18" w/A2 birdcage, reinstall the "never used" detach carry handle and standard A2 handguards...

Tack
Whoops, once again, "swipe" gets the best of my inattention again.
I'm not sure what shipping cost would be both ways, but if you want, I have the clamp set and pri barrel nut wrench I can lend ya.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 01-28-2012, 04:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
Whoops, once again, "swipe" gets the best of my inattention again.
I'm not sure what shipping cost would be both ways, but if you want, I have the clamp set and pri barrel nut wrench I can lend ya.
Thanks for the offer pagj17 but if I do this I'll have 3 functional uppers that will eventually need new barrels. I should just buy the stuff so I can avoid another Internet melt down the next time I get frustrated with my local lack of gunsmiths.

What is the tool list/cost

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 01-28-2012 at 04:41 AM.