NJ Ar-15 guys... have a few questions
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > NJ Ar-15 guys... have a few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default NJ Ar-15 guys... have a few questions

Hey guys,

I need a few of the NJ guys that own AR-15s here to help me out a little.

So right now I'm in SC, and will be here for another year and a half. After that, I'll be done with graduate school and most likely going back to NJ where my parents are until I can figure out what I'm doing. Basically, I want to get a nice AR-15 here that is NJ legal (other than the stock, which I'll buy a fixed stock later on).

My options are (I believe) ..

1. Rock River Arms Standard operator 2 .. $999.99 right now with a free sight rail add on

2. Anything with a NON-THREADED muzzle brake and fixed stock (in which I will replace while in SC with a adjustable) and no bayonet lug

so my question is, which AR's fit the bill for the muzzle brake and no bayonet lug?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #2

I'll try to help but you might have to wait for the experts to chime in....that would be Dillinger, JPYLE and a few others but they will get to you with suggestions. IMHO, I would go with anything that you want to right now. As stated you can replace the stock. You can also "PIN" the flash hider to make it permanent ( I am assuming this would make it legal) and you can grind off the bayonet lug (if it even has one)...which should make it legal. I wouldn't let an issue like the flash hider or barrel configuration sway or direct your purchase in any manner.

I am not familiar with the NJ laws and am just speculating. Hope this helps.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 10-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #3

Liked 3738 Times on 1826 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

I don't know the exact models, but both Stag and DPMS offer NJ compliant varieties of AR's.

I'm pretty sure the manufacturer can tell you right over the phone if their product can be sold in NJ.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Last edited by dog2000tj; 10-03-2010 at 03:18 AM.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:44 AM   #4

Liked 780 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 499

I'll start off by saying that compared to Dillinger I am just a babe in the woods, he is the one truly deserving of the expert recognition but being a New Jersey AR owner, or some day owner anyway, I'll offer my $.02 on the permitted configuration.

In a nutshell you are safe with anything sold as post-ban. The trouble is that many manufacturers also ship their guns with 20 or 30 round magazine which are also banned in New Jersey making the entire gun undeliverable in NJ. I have gone so far as to tell the shipper to take the mags out of the box and keep them, only ship me the gun itself but they apparently cannot legally alter the manufacturers package. If you do buy it out of state you will need to toss the mags and get max 15 rounders, no exceptions, no pre-ban waivers at all.

The follwing is a citation from the actual NJ gun law. Bear in mind that a COLT AR-15 or CAR-15 series rifle is specifically listed on the AWB list so nothing with a Colt rollmark, AR-15 or CAR-15 appearing anywhere on the gun are legal in NJ. (Match Target rifle excluded) The law further bans identical weapons in the text below.

Quote:

A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be "substantially identical," that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it meets the below listed criteria:

i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least
two of the following:
(1) A folding or telescoping stock;
(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(3) A bayonet mount;
(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash
suppressor; and (5) A grenade launcher;

Given that a pistol grip is pretty much non-negotiable, you are prohibited from any other "evil gun" feature on the list. Most people run into trouble with A1 or A2 style guns because of the bayo lug and the flash hider. A3 flat tops generally do away with both for a rail or low profile gas block and a crowned barrel. If you do have a flash hider you will need to replace it with a muzzle brake that is permanently soldered or pinned, if you just remove it you will need to have the barrel cut and crowned by a gunsmith before bringing it to NJ. Same goes for the sight tower, either change it out for a post-ban or replace it with something else. Stock you already covered.

As if all of that sh*t isn't enough you also will need a Firearms Owner ID to legally possess the rifle and to buy ammo in NJ. Mags must be no more than 15 rounds and no hollow points unless you are going to the range or "in the fields or waters of New Jersey." If you shoot someone in self defense with HP ammo you may be prosecuted for that even if it's a justified shoot..I know, I know.

Hope I have been helpful but as is the standard waiver round these parts, check out the laws on your own and be absolutely sure you are legal in all respects, New Jersey is friggin brutal. Rumor has it that a Federal Marshal transiting through the state was arrested and detained due to concealment and carry of HP ammo.

New Jersey State Police - New Jersey Firearm Laws

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-03-2010, 03:02 AM   #5

Thanks man, I appreciate the data. the gun will be shipped here to SC, the state I currently reside and have a license in. I think I'm going to settle with the rock river arms standard operator 2 tactical. Seems to have everything I need for now and I'll be good.

How do I go about getting the NJ firearms ID card? Is there a waiting period for that too?

Old 10-03-2010, 03:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopistons93 View Post
Thanks man, I appreciate the data. the gun will be shipped here to SC, the state I currently reside and have a license in. I think I'm going to settle with the rock river arms standard operator 2 tactical. Seems to have everything I need for now and I'll be good.

How do I go about getting the NJ firearms ID card? Is there a waiting period for that too?
Waiting period 30 days per NJ Law, in practice 3-6 months depending on your home town PD.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Waiting period 30 days per NJ Law, in practice 3-6 months depending on your home town PD.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf

I think maybe everyone misunderstood that I'm buying this gun legally in south Carolina right now, then moving back up to nj in a couple of years. I dont think I need a permit to buy a firearm in nj if I'm moving up there with my guns, unless I want to buy more. of course I would have to register them in nj.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopistons93 View Post
I think maybe everyone misunderstood that I'm buying this gun legally in south Carolina right now, then moving back up to nj in a couple of years. I dont think I need a permit to buy a firearm in nj if I'm moving up there with my guns, unless I want to buy more. of course I would have to register them in nj.
Understood but you will still need the FOID to buy ammo and some ranges will not let you shoot without it. The FOID and handgun permit use the same form, that's what I sent you. No mandatory registration in NJ that I am aware of although you could voluntarily register them.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9919 Times on 4270 Posts
Likes Given: 1562

Move to Virginia, where your rifle does not have to look like this:

kittyrifle.jpg

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Move to Virginia, where your rifle does not have to look like this:

Attachment 20029
DUDE, that's what I wanted to get though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Understood but you will still need the FOID to buy ammo and some ranges will not let you shoot without it. The FOID and handgun permit use the same form, that's what I sent you. No mandatory registration in NJ that I am aware of although you could voluntarily register them.
Ok cool, so if I plan to shoot mostly in PA at my buddies house in the mountains I am pretty set then? I will of course put the paperwork through to get the FOID and handgun permit so it's done. What I'll probably do is change my license back to NJ about 1 month before I move back there and put my FOID stuff in so by the time I'm moved back in I wont have long to wait. Also, I get most of my ammo by mail