Nickel Boron or piston - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Nickel Boron or piston

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Piston will gain you a cleaner Bolt Carrier Group. You'll appreciate it when it comes to cleaning and maintenance time, your trigger group will also remain much cleaner. MY opinion here but there's something to be gained by a piston setup keeping the carbon from being redirected back to your Bolt Carrier Group. Also - you can now add bit of grease to your Bolt Carrier Group that I would not advise when using direct impingement uppers.

Comparing my Colt LE6920/Colt 6601 side by side with my gas piston guns the gas piston guns are so much cleaner at cleanup time.

Do not assume anything.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:57 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goretro77 View Post
Piston will gain you a cleaner Bolt Carrier Group. You'll appreciate it when it comes to cleaning and maintenance time, your trigger group will also remain much cleaner. MY opinion here but there's something to be gained by a piston setup keeping the carbon from being redirected back to your Bolt Carrier Group. Also - you can now add bit of grease to your Bolt Carrier Group that I would not advise when using direct impingement uppers.

Comparing my Colt LE6920/Colt 6601 side by side with my gas piston guns the gas piston guns are so much cleaner at cleanup time.
Why would you not advise using grease in a DI AR?

--------------

People clean their firearms? Maybe I should start.

That whole easier to clean thing has merit but the carbon still collects in your firearm, it's just in a different location.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #13

I'm curious too about that comment. I use moly-lithium on the wear points of my bolt and carrier with zero effect on the utility of my firearm.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarmanathome View Post
I'm curious too about that comment. I use moly-lithium on the wear points of my bolt and carrier with zero effect on the utility of my firearm.
I asked the question knowing he wouldn't have a credible answer . We'll never get anything of substance if we get anything at all.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #15

Liked 254 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarmanathome View Post
I've been known to use transmission fluid. I use brake cleaner afterwards to clean it. I am really lazy. But my guns still fire every time.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

On a DI you get a lot of residue all over the bolt and carrier, the grease gives the residue an attachment point turning the grease into an abrasive rubbing compound . The piston only gets a little residue from the primers therefore the grease stays a lot cleaner. I still use a little grease anyway whichever system I'm using.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

If you really want a slick system go with NP3 Plus and a piston. No cleaning, no lubing. An infantry mans dream.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickpalmer View Post
If you really want a slick system go with NP3 Plus and a piston. No cleaning, no lubing. An infantry mans dream.
Riiiiight.

Funny how all the piston automatic weapons (M60, Mk43, 249's and 240's) I ever used in the service (28 years) were just as filthy as the DI M16's I carried.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I use grease out of a tube. I apply it to my DIs, AK, Rem 1100, 870, and piston AR w/ a q-tip in generous amounts. It's like $5 at WalMart. The action is smooth, very smooth.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 02-19-2012, 02:08 AM   #20

Liked 254 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickpalmer View Post
People are really buying into POF's bait hook line and sinker.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin