Nickel Boron or piston
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Nickel Boron or piston

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Nickel Boron or piston

First post, and I'm excited to learn a few things.
I've started my first AR build recently. So far I have a ST stripped lower and Magpul MIAD in OD green. I'm waiting on a few things to come in, the biggest is a ST enhanced LPK with the combat trigger. I bought it mainly for the nickel boron parts.
My question is this: if I buy a nickel boron BCG, is there really any added benefit to paying for a piston driven upper? Also, does anyone know if the Magpul BAD lever will work with an ambi mag release?
I have a Magpul ASAP and an Omega Tactical buffer tube kit coming in also. All I need is an MOE stock in OD, BAD, and ambi mag release to complete my lower. Then the upper hunt begins!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #2

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

If your going to use a piston upper why are you looking at buying a direct imping BCG ?
or maybe Im just misunderstanding the question

Old 02-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
If your going to use a piston upper why are you looking at buying a direct imping BCG ?
or maybe Im just misunderstanding the question
No, it's either or. Looking at either a DI BCG with Ni Boron, or a piston upper.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #4

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

No need for a piston upper, no need for a nickel boron bolt either. If it comes down to want, fine, that's up to you. Again no need. I'd put that money into things that matter.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
No need for a piston upper, no need for a nickel boron bolt either. If it comes down to want, fine, that's up to you. Again no need. I'd put that money into things that matter.
Ok, want it is! I want Ni Boron. Seems to function better with grit and dirt. Really just want to know if the piston upper is worth the extra cost.
What would be a better use of the cash?

Old 02-15-2012, 02:06 AM   #6

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Piston upper ,It makes for a heavier rifle to start with , its really unneeded for standard / basic use , I would look into putting that extra money in a high quality optic , trigger assembly or like stated above something that matters . I see some guys unloading there piston uppers for DI uppers because of the additional weight and no performance gain

Old 02-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
Piston upper ,It makes for a heavier rifle to start with , its really unneeded for standard / basic use , I would look into putting that extra money in a high quality optic , trigger assembly or like stated above something that matters . I see some guys unloading there piston uppers for DI uppers because of the additional weight and no performance gain
I've read that on several forums now. Can't see spending 2-3 times the cost of a DI upper if there's no real gain. That solves the dilemma for me, thanks!
How about the ambi mag release and BAD lever combo? Any insight into that? Will it work?

Old 02-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #8

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I agree, better to save the money on piston and nickel boron and buy the best upper and optic you can afford.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #9

I own a NiB and it performs no better than my mil-spec phosphate ones, it's just easier to clean. I think i would spend my money elsewhere on your rifle - I'll use mine, but didn't need it. DI is fine, piston imo gains you nothing, but weight and again, you can spend that money elsewhere that it does matter - better barrel, better trigger, better optics

Old 02-15-2012, 03:21 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have a coated piston gun and like it but if I had it to do over again I would purchased another DI instead.

A good lube will handle any job.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."