Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Nickel Boron or piston (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/nickel-boron-piston-57744/)

ZSF76 02-14-2012 11:59 PM

Nickel Boron or piston
 
First post, and I'm excited to learn a few things.
I've started my first AR build recently. So far I have a ST stripped lower and Magpul MIAD in OD green. I'm waiting on a few things to come in, the biggest is a ST enhanced LPK with the combat trigger. I bought it mainly for the nickel boron parts.
My question is this: if I buy a nickel boron BCG, is there really any added benefit to paying for a piston driven upper? Also, does anyone know if the Magpul BAD lever will work with an ambi mag release?
I have a Magpul ASAP and an Omega Tactical buffer tube kit coming in also. All I need is an MOE stock in OD, BAD, and ambi mag release to complete my lower. Then the upper hunt begins!

purehavoc 02-15-2012 12:19 AM

If your going to use a piston upper why are you looking at buying a direct imping BCG ?
or maybe Im just misunderstanding the question

ZSF76 02-15-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc
If your going to use a piston upper why are you looking at buying a direct imping BCG ?
or maybe Im just misunderstanding the question

No, it's either or. Looking at either a DI BCG with Ni Boron, or a piston upper.

Quentin 02-15-2012 12:46 AM

No need for a piston upper, no need for a nickel boron bolt either. If it comes down to want, fine, that's up to you. Again no need. I'd put that money into things that matter.

ZSF76 02-15-2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin
No need for a piston upper, no need for a nickel boron bolt either. If it comes down to want, fine, that's up to you. Again no need. I'd put that money into things that matter.

Ok, want it is! I want Ni Boron. Seems to function better with grit and dirt. Really just want to know if the piston upper is worth the extra cost.
What would be a better use of the cash?

purehavoc 02-15-2012 01:06 AM

Piston upper ,It makes for a heavier rifle to start with , its really unneeded for standard / basic use , I would look into putting that extra money in a high quality optic , trigger assembly or like stated above something that matters . I see some guys unloading there piston uppers for DI uppers because of the additional weight and no performance gain

ZSF76 02-15-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc
Piston upper ,It makes for a heavier rifle to start with , its really unneeded for standard / basic use , I would look into putting that extra money in a high quality optic , trigger assembly or like stated above something that matters . I see some guys unloading there piston uppers for DI uppers because of the additional weight and no performance gain

I've read that on several forums now. Can't see spending 2-3 times the cost of a DI upper if there's no real gain. That solves the dilemma for me, thanks!
How about the ambi mag release and BAD lever combo? Any insight into that? Will it work?

Quentin 02-15-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 708880)
Piston upper ,It makes for a heavier rifle to start with , its really unneeded for standard / basic use , I would look into putting that extra money in a high quality optic , trigger assembly or like stated above something that matters . I see some guys unloading there piston uppers for DI uppers because of the additional weight and no performance gain

I agree, better to save the money on piston and nickel boron and buy the best upper and optic you can afford.

lunarmanathome 02-15-2012 01:25 AM

I own a NiB and it performs no better than my mil-spec phosphate ones, it's just easier to clean. I think i would spend my money elsewhere on your rifle - I'll use mine, but didn't need it. DI is fine, piston imo gains you nothing, but weight and again, you can spend that money elsewhere that it does matter - better barrel, better trigger, better optics

mjkeat 02-15-2012 02:21 AM

I have a coated piston gun and like it but if I had it to do over again I would purchased another DI instead.

A good lube will handle any job.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.