Nice little preview of an upcoming article about muzzle devices. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Nice little preview of an upcoming article about muzzle devices.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1148 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
I'm kinda curious as to how you can measure recoil and reduction objectively.

I saw a guy a while back put his rifle on a wheel rifle rest and attached a pencil to the "cart" and put it on graph paper. But due to the added mass of the cart and the friction of the bearings and wheels of the cart, I think his numbers can't be too exact. I was thinking if you string up the rifle and video tape it against a graphed background yeild better results. But I'd venture that a device that can accurately monitor pressure over time would yeild the most empirical/unbiased data.
I would think you would really need a couple scales one on the butt pad up against something solid and one near the end of the muzzle on top of the hand guard and up against something solid and see how many lbs of recoil and how many lbs of pressure on the muzzle rise

Last edited by purehavoc; 06-05-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #12

Location: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
That's Apple for you, get a real computer!
This has nothing to do with my Apple iPad...the magazines article...actually there is not article, not comparison or testing or review of these muzzle devices...just pictures of various brands and specs and msrp prices....magazine cover lead me to believe there was some explaining and review...TOTAL RIP OFF MAGAZINE...Recoil Magazine....never heard of it or seen it on a newsstand.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #13

Liked 338 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdrums View Post
This has nothing to do with my Apple iPad...the magazines article...actually there is not article, not comparison or testing or review of these muzzle devices...just pictures of various brands and specs and msrp prices....magazine cover lead me to believe there was some explaining and review...TOTAL RIP OFF MAGAZINE...Recoil Magazine....never heard of it or seen it on a newsstand.

Ya, I agree with ya...seems kind of a rip off. I think that he was just poking fun at you fer having an iPad.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #14

Liked 338 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I would think you would really need a couple scales one on the butt pad up against something solid and one near the end of the muzzle on top of the hand guard and up against something solid and see how many lbs of recoil and how many lbs of pressure on the muzzle rise
I guess that would work if you had a scale that could save and record rates that would work, like how some trigger scales work, but I don't know of any that do....do you?

I'm sure there's something out there that would work. Maybe even record pressure and time. That'd be useful. Could also quantify differences between different weight buffers and carbine and rifle systems.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:55 AM   #15

Location: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Ya, I agree with ya...seems kind of a rip off. I think that he was just poking fun at you fer having an iPad.
..LOL...it's all good...I've read a lot of Quentins posts press the like button on a lot of 'em too....I also like my iPad.