Nice little preview of an upcoming article about muzzle devices.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Nice little preview of an upcoming article about muzzle devices.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Nice little preview of an upcoming article about muzzle devices.

got this from here:
http://www.recoilweb.com/preview-flash-suppressors-muzzle-brakes-compensators-tip-barrel-5927.html

I'd like to see how they review and test and compare everything that they have pictured......should be an interesting read.

PREVIEW – FLASH SUPPRESSORS, MUZZLE BRAKES & COMPENSATORS – JUST THE TIP OF THE BARREL

Article by Dennis Ideue
Understanding Flash Suppressors, Muzzle Brakes, and Compensators

We often hear the terms flash suppressor, muzzle brake, and compensator used interchangeably, as some people are actually unaware of their separate functions. We have even heard the question, “What is that funny thing on the end of my barrel?” Well, put your fears aside, it’s not an STD, it’s there to do an important job. Let’s take a look at each component and what it does, and then see some units that combine some of the uses of each one.

Flash Suppressors

The purpose of a flash suppressor, or flash hider, as referred to by some manufacturers, is to guard the shooter from a significant portion of the visible flash. In fact, another term for the device is flash guard, although you don’t hear that used very often. The military adopted flash suppressors in order to preserve soldiers’ night vision. A major misconception is that a flash suppressor will hide the flash from the target you are shooting. Yes, a flash suppressor will reduce the overall flash signature compared to a barrel without one, but light travels in a straight line, and anything completely blocking the flash from what you are aiming at will also block the path of the bullet. Today, there are two primary types of flash suppressors, the duckbill type, with a number of prongs, and the birdcage type that is similar, but has a ring around its end for stability and to prevent the flash suppressor from being “caught up” on surrounding objects.

Muzzle Brakes

A muzzle brake directs gasses to drive the firearm forward, helping counteract the recoil force back into the shooter. This is much like those reversers you see on jet aircraft when they are landing. Muzzle brakes are extremely important on larger-caliber guns; firing a .50 BMG without one could dislocate your shoulder. An unfortunate side effect of a traditional muzzle brake is that because energy is being directed back at the shooter, the sound levels and concussion forces generated during firing increase dramatically.

Compensators

A compensator vents some of the escaping gasses upward, reducing the rise in the barrel as the weapon is fired. This allows the shooter to more easily and quickly reacquire his target for faster follow-up shots. The majority of compensators available today also feature muzzle brake-style side ports for a combination of reduced recoil and muzzle rise.

Hybrids

There are muzzle devices that offer a combined reduction in flash signature, recoil, and muzzle rise; we call them hybrids. For this category of muzzle devices, we are identifying those that are truly designed to achieve a synthesis between the essential elements of the three separate components. A standard A2 flash suppressor, while having vents excluded from the bottom, does offer some of the qualities of a compensator, its primary job is to act as a suppressor, so we don’t include it as a hybrid device. The same goes for the BattleComp 1.0 compensator, which will reduce flash, but is primarily designed to be a compensator.

If you are trading out a factory-installed muzzle device for an aftermarket one, be sure that the modification does not make your new configuration shorter than the legal, overall length (OAL) requirements of your firearm. Some rifles rely on a rather long muzzle device to reach OAL requirements. Generally, if your muzzle device is pinned onto the barrel, it may have been to allow the manufacturer to legally sell the firearm in your jurisdiction.

For the rest of this article, subscribe digitally here: RECOIL Issue 2

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Have not been able to find an issue yet. I guess I'll have to set foot in an actual book store

Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #3

meh.....looks like they want you to pay for a digital download...........

Old 06-05-2012, 02:17 AM   #4

Location: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Interesting for a newbie like me...thanks!

On the AR I just got it had a VLTOR flash suppressor on it and it's of the birdcage type with opening all the way around. he stock Colt flash suppressor only has opening on the sides and top but not at the bottom.

I'd like to know how these 2 different flash suppersors would affect the gun?

Old 06-05-2012, 02:42 AM   #5
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That issue has been on newstands for a couple weeks or so. I would scan and post, but I don't think they would appreciate that. The biggest part of that article was a line-up of a bunch of devices with a picture and basic info for each. Other than what is posted in the OP, pictures and basic info is all there is to the article. Not a bad reference to see different devices and how they are categorized.

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.

Last edited by X-mark; 06-05-2012 at 02:47 AM.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #6

Location: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Ok I'm lost on this....I downloaded this magazine on my iPad and they showed pics on various company's muzzle products but that was it...not comments or review of anything! Pretty much a big rip off...I learned nothing about what these devises do for the gun.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #7

Liked 1061 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdrums View Post
Ok I'm lost on this....I downloaded this magazine on my iPad and they showed pics on various company's muzzle products but that was it...not comments or review of anything! Pretty much a big rip off...I learned nothing about what these devises do for the gun.
That's Apple for you, get a real computer!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #8

So no testing and rating and comparisons were done?

Whatta rip off.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #9

I'm kinda curious as to how you can measure recoil and reduction objectively.

I saw a guy a while back put his rifle on a wheel rifle rest and attached a pencil to the "cart" and put it on graph paper. But due to the added mass of the cart and the friction of the bearings and wheels of the cart, I think his numbers can't be too exact. I was thinking if you string up the rifle and video tape it against a graphed background yeild better results. But I'd venture that a device that can accurately monitor pressure over time would yeild the most empirical/unbiased data.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #10

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdrums View Post
Interesting for a newbie like me...thanks!

On the AR I just got it had a VLTOR flash suppressor on it and it's of the birdcage type with opening all the way around. he stock Colt flash suppressor only has opening on the sides and top but not at the bottom.

I'd like to know how these 2 different flash suppersors would affect the gun?
Shoot prone on bare dirt or sand and you will find out what kind of effect it has