Nice day at the range... - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Nice day at the range...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I am sure none of my cases looked like that.

I agree, we shouldn't assume our rifles are GTG based on a core sample no matter how large that sample is or who the sample includes. I'm going to keep going w/o cleaning ( minus the lenses of the lights ) until mine give up the ghost to get a feel for the rifles themselves. Another "good" reason to go to the range.

I'll take some pic next time.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #12

Liked 1038 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 1036

No rush MJ. I would be interested in how your ejected steelcase looks after a few hundred rounds. Both my ArmaLite and DD look like this with Herters/Tula.

With so many here who have problems with steel case this could be a good thread to compare pictures of how gunked up our cases look.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:53 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thats a great idea. I'm closing in on 1k this month not counting brass. I've been running a combonation of the two trying to cause a problem. No luck so far. But now that I said something I'll have a horrible malfunction next outing.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:06 PM   #14

I still haven't cleaned the Daniel Defense other than a quick brushing of the chamber so I'm going to do a little test. I put back on the O-ring that came with my DD BCG and will continue shooting steel case without cleaning until I get another FTE. I'll keep an eye on the spent casing and rims too. I hope to get to the range this weekend.

MJ, did you leave your DD O-ring in?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2624 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

Chris,

Regarding your question about cleaning the Gas Tube. I have close to 30,000 rounds through my first Rock River Elite Car A-4. I have never cleaned the gas tube nor replaced it. I certainly have rebarreled her however due to throat erosion for just shooting a H--L of a lot of rounds over time. Oh she is also 10 years old. Any way I do have a theory on the Gas Tube. And that is since the Gas Port is on the top side of the barrel under the Front Sight Housing, Gas Block or whatever. I instruct to always clean with the Front Sight Housing on the barrel in the UP Position. Think about it! If you are running solvents and cleaners like Hoppes, Shooters Choice, or what ever solvent you use on the inside of the barrel. If you clean with the Front Sight in the Down Position and then you add gravity and the hydraulic effect of the suction of the wet soaked patch being pushed through the bore. No doubt some of that solvent is probably being squirted if you please, down into the Gas Port Hole and into the Gas Tube. So I always instruct to clean with the Front Sight in the up position. Obviously with solvent in the Gas Port and Gas Tube it could easily turn into a carbon build up. Another little note for our friends is that good Gas Tubes are Stainless. That also is the difference of some of the cheap ones coming in from out of the USA. Never clean the Carrier Key with a Q-Tip !! Pipe Cleaners are OK~

Old 09-01-2011, 02:37 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I still haven't cleaned the Daniel Defense other than a quick brushing of the chamber so I'm going to do a little test. I put back on the O-ring that came with my DD BCG and will continue shooting steel case without cleaning until I get another FTE. I'll keep an eye on the spent casing and rims too. I hope to get to the range this weekend.

MJ, did you leave your DD O-ring in?
I have not. It is how it came from DD.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:28 AM   #17

Ah, thanks. I didn't get my DD BCG from smartgunner, I already had one from Grant and it came with the O-ring installed. I removed it straight away but now I'm going to test it installed.

ETA:
Just ordered the BCM SOPMOD bolt upgrade kit and a 3-pack extractor spring upgrade kit, they're good to have on hand. It's one of those things I kept forgetting to add to previous orders.

______

Last edited by Quentin; 09-01-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #18

Boy, BCM doesn't mess around when shipping. I got my extractor kit yesterday! But went to a whiskey tasting party so forgot to check the mail until today about 2AM. Not doing so well today so will let the hangover pass before installing the new extractor. I should be old enough to know better!

______