Next AR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Next AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 04:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts

Default Next AR

I already own a rra elite operator 2. I love it . But like all gun junkies I'm looking to diversify 😝. Any recommendation on a next make? Bushys are too generic for me no offense to those that take a liking to em . Thinking along lines of lmt or daniel defense

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2013, 04:22 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

BCM upper with a lower of your choice.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #3

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

BCM, DD, Colt and LMT are fine choices. If you want a build then Wolvee's got good advice.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 04-05-2013, 04:45 AM   #4

Wolvee I'm not familiar with bcm . I hadn't comsiderd a build . Was looking for complete but I like the idea now. The "cheaper" lowers be ok? Ie spikes etc . ?

Old 04-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

BCM is one of the industry standards IMO. Very high quality. They are swamped with orders so getting them can be a task. The easiest way is to go to Bravocompanyusa and buy a complete upper so you don't have to piece stuff together to worry about all the assembly stuff unless you want.

I think they are to far back logged right now to have complete rifles for civilians in stock. Paul is a great guy in the industry.

I think the next thing I'm going to build/buy is an BCM upper A4 w/ a Colt lower to get as close to what I was issued.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #6

Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvee View Post
I think the next thing I'm going to build/buy is an BCM upper A4 w/ a Colt lower to get as close to what I was issued.
I like your thinking, I have been looking at doing this same build as well, I already did one for a guy but he turned into a prick and would not let me get any range time with it to test it out properly and develop a good load for him to use in it, needless to say he just paid the money and ran off with the rifle and hasn't spoke to me since....... which I don't really like building a rifle for someone and then not being able to test it for proper function myself, but oh well, that was what he wanted

Old 04-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by leam23 View Post
I already own a rra elite operator 2. I love it . But like all gun junkies I'm looking to diversify. Any recommendation on a next make? Bushys are too generic for me no offense to those that take a liking to em . Thinking along lines of lmt or daniel defense
I would recommend either a build or a DD. Either way, go light.

You have a RRA Elite Operator. I had one. I literally never shot it before selling, but had shot my friend's Operator quite a bit. It's a good gun and plenty accurate, but mine weighed darn near 10lbs!!! My equally awesome $1200 builds typically check in around 7lbs, with superior parts throughout. And my DD M4v3 is about 6.5lbs.

I would recommend setting yourself up with a similar platform (to the 9-10lb RRA) that weighs 7lbs or less. Then you'll get a good feel for whether that weight discrepancy actually matters to you. It does to me.

I really like DD for factory rifles. There are others that are plenty good, but they're my strong preference. And I really like to use BCM, PSA, AIM, and JoeBob's for my builds. Uppers at the latter two are awful tough to come by due to extremely good pricing. But the former two also offer very fair pricing and post a pretty steady stream of products online. These are 4 companies (5, if you count DD) that I am extremely loyal too...and for good reason. They've all done right by me over and over with regard to quality, value, and service.

You can build a pretty great 7lb, 14.5/16" ML, flip rear sight, M16 BCG and upgraded CH, Magpul furniture, maybe a handguard upgrade...for $1200 or so. The toughest part to come by will probably be the BCG, especially if you've got a specific brand/finish in mind.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #8

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

A Spikes lower is fine, almost any 7075-T6 stripped lower is milspec so will work with an in spec upper receiver. I would use milspec parts to complete the lower. (LPK/receiver extension/stock kit.). BCM sells fine uppers to top it off. PSA is a good source with great prices too.

ETA:
Great advice from Sweeper. I also prefer a lightweight AR. I had a heavy ArmaLite upper but went LW with BCM, DD and PSA. Big difference, big improvement.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 04-05-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #9

Great info guys I really appreciate it . The rra is a lil heavy but I love the quality. I think my next one will be a build and will be lighter . Sweep r u taking orders 😛

Old 04-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #10

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Have you read the stickies?