Newly built AR is short stroking/wont cycle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Newly built AR is short stroking/wont cycle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

AWESOME feedback guys, thanks. Between the bolt, properly lubing, and checking the buffer spring conditions I think I can remedy this situation. Going to try all 3 tests this week and post results. I have a backup RRA bolt carrier group ready an the Spikes T2 buffer on the way, ready to drop in for testing....

Old 04-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #12

Liked 222 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring View Post
Here's something no one has mentioned that I have seen in rifles customers have brought me to fix. If your buffer tuber is screwed on one thread too many it will short stroke. Make sure your buffer tube is barely holding your buffer detent into your lower receiver. The edge of your buffer tube should be on the edge of the detent. If it's resting up against the nipple of the detent and even pushing the detent forward, you need to back off your buffer tube a thread.
Good call Argyle, my first repair was of a DPMS buffer tube that the threads weren't CNC'd and the only way to get the detente to seat firmly without causing the tube to block the upper receiver from closing was to screw it in so that the buttstock was about 10 degrees off. I ended up getting a Bushmaster tube that had a "timing"lip on it to solve the problem. Evidently mine wasn't an isolated incident, because a lot of AR parts manufacturers are putting the lip on their buffer tubes now.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Argyle_Armoring Likes This 
Old 04-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If nothing else has solved the problem you might need heavier trigger springs. When I built my 6.8 I was getting light primer strikes and that's what ended up being the cause. I went the expensive route and installed a timney trigger but Brownells sells spring kits for $10-$15 that will do the job too

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk