Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Newbie Here - Getting ready for first build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Newbie Here - Getting ready for first build.

Hello all, just like everyone on here I am getting the AR itch. I shoot pistols and all other kinds of rifles but I am thriving for something new and exciting. I was looking at buying a complete rifle but the more and more I look I am thinking I might build one, plus I am kind of on a tight budget to start with so I think I might be able to get more for my money.. I have been looking at upper and lower components from Rock River, Stag, and DPMS. These are just the ones I have looked at so far, I am not comitted to any brand. What are advantages and disadvantages of carbine, and mid length? I am looking at getting a 16" barrel, I think?. Would say for instance the Stag model 1 be classified as a carbine? Also when looking at handguard replacements such as this: Rock River Arms: NEW! RRA LAR-8 Quad Rails and Free Float Tubes is it a direct and easy replacement of the factory handguard? I have been doing a lot of lurking and reading here lately. I have learned a lot in a matter of a couple weeks. I am sure I will have a lot more questions in the near future so I thank you all in advance for the help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2010, 02:32 AM   #2

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Welcome to the FTF!! Post plenty of pics!! Go to the Introductions thread and tell the members a little about yourself!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the FTF community. There's some very knowledgeable folks that will be along shortly to help you out and welcome you to this place too.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams