Newbie!! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Newbie!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Welcome, Medic! The Doublestar stripped lower will be fine and it is nice to have a local rollmark. I'd pass on their uppers though as you can do better.

Have you found Agent Tikki's two important threads, the AR-15 Primer and the Deals, Deals, Deals threads? Look at PSA's Labor Day sales in the Deals thread but buy the config that's right for you (which takes you back to the Primer - which should be read carefully).

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks Quentin, Just saw the Special.. If im looking at it right i see a nice lower with kit and an upper that I like for 399.. what am I missing??? seems to good to be true..

Old 08-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default Welcome to FTF

Welcome from Georgia. Glad you found us. Enjoy. Good luck with your build. The lower is pretty easy to put together. I have never built an upper so I can't speak to that. There are some free online videos that are a big help at www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/guntechdetail/

If you plan to build more than one there are several fairly inexpensive tools that will make the job a lot easier.

www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/pin-tools/pivot-pin-detent-installation-tool-prod26488.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15/M4

www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/punches/roll-pin-holders-prod781.aspx

www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bench-vise-blocks/ar-15-m16-lower-receiver-vise-block-prod25011.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15/M4

www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/punches/roll-pin-punches-prod38883.aspx

As for the punches you can buy just the sizes you need and save a little. The detent installation tool will save you a lot of time crawling around on the floor looking for the detent and detent spring. Don't ask me how I know.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Last edited by string1946; 08-29-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

After tinkering around a little more and using the Primer Sticky. Im liking this Config LMK what you all think.. Seems reasonable i think

Upper
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-16-m4-cmv-cl-moe-with-m16-bolt-carrier-group-and-charging-handle.html

Lower
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-safe-fire-lower-moe-black-lower-parts-kit.html

Stock
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/palmetto-state-armory-moe-stock-kit-black.html

Can anyone attest to this setup?? Good Bad UGLY? am I forgetting anything?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Welcome to the FTF from Tampa Bay.

How about that local sports team?

BRD and Mosinitus are covered by

Obamacare, you know. They are

taxed, as "surgical equipment"...
Does it cover the Signess too?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic45 View Post
Hey guys I just recently found this forum and app!! All I can say is I'm lovin it!! I am in the beginning stages of building "thanks to this site" my 1st AR!! I am looking at a DoubleStar Lower and parts kit! ( I finally found 1) lol! And we'll that's as far as I've gotten!! Still selling off knives and such to fund this new addiction!! FYI the name is Brian and I'm dang glad to meet you all!!
Welcome! Selling knives? I collect them.. got close to 500 now. Mostly folders, but have a decent selection of fixed blades. Not a lot of high-end ones, just the odd looking types.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindOldMan View Post
Welcome! Selling knives? I collect them.. got close to 500 now. Mostly folders, but have a decent selection of fixed blades. Not a lot of high-end ones, just the odd looking types.
Yeah I have a few.. Imma big fan of BHK <Blind Horse Knives>

Old 08-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #18

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Thats good that you would like to keep the lower local , Heres some deals of great quality . PSA's barrels are made by FN Herstal another top notch manufacturer .

complete rifle build kit , Just add lower and very bargain priced . If you intend on doing it soon dont wait, This is a Labor Day special . When these bargains sell out there out . I highly doubt that deal makes it til Labor Day . They never do

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/16-m4-cmv-chrome-lined-premium-rifle-kit-2645.html

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 08-29-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Id love to get in on these deals.. And I havent decided yet on the Lower.. Really liking the PSA...lol and the cost its less than `1/2 of the doublestar.. so that is playing a huge factor.. I have 75% of my funds on PP so im having to wait for them to be transfered to my Debit card..lol I hope they get done in time.. I really like that kit you just linked Havoc, so all i would need would be a stripped lower correct?

Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #20

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic45
Id love to get in on these deals.. And I havent decided yet on the Lower.. Really liking the PSA...lol and the cost its less than `1/2 of the doublestar.. so that is playing a huge factor.. I have 75% of my funds on PP so im having to wait for them to be transfered to my Debit card..lol I hope they get done in time.. I really like that kit you just linked Havoc, so all i would need would be a stripped lower correct?
Correct. +1 for PSA. Great quality and great prices. They're killing it.