New (used) AR-15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New (used) AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New (used) AR-15

Hey everyone,

Looking into buying a Colt AR-15 HBAR from a friend. Just wondering if anyone can provide me with any info about this AR before I decide to buy it. Since Canada has stricter regulations about gun laws I cannot justify the 2500.00+ cost of a custom build that I've wanted to do for some time now. So when this came up as an option I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on Colt AR's. I know they own the patent on the AR 15 so one would hope they have a solid build, but I want opinions from current or past owners.
Any helpful info is very much appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2013, 04:31 AM   #2

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

If its a deal and well taken care of. Buy it

Old 05-27-2013, 04:32 AM   #3

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Do you want an HBAR? Since it's used, what condition is it in and does it have the large FCG pins and pivot/takedown pins? Is it a Canadian or US Colt? What would you build if you could get the parts? And finally, give us a clue what problems you'll face trying to get parts shipped to you.

Otherwise, Colt is a great choice but if you want midlength gas or other features you'd want to look at other brands.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Do you want an HBAR? Since it's used, what condition is it in and does it have the large FCG pins and pivot/takedown pins? Is it a Canadian or US Colt? What would you build if you could get the parts? And finally, give us a clue what problems you'll face trying to get parts shipped to you.

Otherwise, Colt is a great choice but if you want midlength gas or other features you'd want to look at other brands.
Not sure the take down pin size as of yet. I know about colts different pin size making it so you can't swap uppers and lowers without issue. Also not sure if it's Canadian or American, and what difference that makes.

If I were to build my own, the parts are available in Canada but because of it's "restricted" classification, I can only legally shoot it at a range, therefore making it not something I want to drop 2000.00 or more on for it's limited use. Sure i'd love a tricked out custom AR but because I can only go to the range with it, what's the point? It's like buying a ferrari to get groceries. Sure it looks and drives nice, but kind of a waste.

The problems of parts being shipped to me is the legal aspect. Anything that makes the gun go "bang" is illegal to bring over the border. So lowers, bolts, bolt carriers, firing pins, trigger mechanisms, gas blocks, ect. They have made it difficult to pimp out a AR for the price you could in the US.

If I can get it for cheap enough, I'm considering buying it and trading it in for a better AR should it prove to be a better option.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:07 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage308

Not sure the take down pin size as of yet. I know about colts different pin size making it so you can't swap uppers and lowers without issue. Also not sure if it's Canadian or American, and what difference that makes.

If I were to build my own, the parts are available in Canada but because of it's "restricted" classification, I can only legally shoot it at a range, therefore making it not something I want to drop 2000.00 or more on for it's limited use. Sure i'd love a tricked out custom AR but because I can only go to the range with it, what's the point? It's like buying a ferrari to get groceries. Sure it looks and drives nice, but kind of a waste.

The problems of parts being shipped to me is the legal aspect. Anything that makes the gun go "bang" is illegal to bring over the border. So lowers, bolts, bolt carriers, firing pins, trigger mechanisms, gas blocks, ect. They have made it difficult to pimp out a AR for the price you could in the US.
You could always move south.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Hbars are nice. Depends on how old that one is how much wear it shows. Some hbars are just civvy ready copies of the m16a2 others have a full heavy barrel. They arent anything special accuracy wise.

Some can be collectors but that really depends on having the original packaging and accessories and perfect condition.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Hbars are nice. Depends on how old that one is how much wear it shows. Some hbars are just civvy ready copies of the m16a2 others have a full heavy barrel. They arent anything special accuracy wise.

Some can be collectors but that really depends on having the original packaging and accessories and perfect condition.
How can I tell if it has a full heavy barrel? Will removing the hand guards and visually inspecting the barrel determine if it has a full heavy barrel? I'm very familiar with take down and reassembly, as well as the over gun itself after my service in the military so what should I be looking for?

Old 05-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #8

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage308 View Post
How can I tell if it has a full heavy barrel? Will removing the hand guards and visually inspecting the barrel determine if it has a full heavy barrel? I'm very familiar with take down and reassembly, as well as the over gun itself after my service in the military so what should I be looking for?
Yes, look under the handguards and see if the barrel is the same thickness between the chamber and gas block as after the block. Usually a HBAR is .750" but can be thicker.

The A2/govt profile is .625" under the handguards and .750" after the gas block. There are various opinions why the barrel was made this way but I can't see much sense to them. If pencil size before the gas block then why not slim down the muzzle too! (Which is why today the LW barrels are so popular - as they were before the A2.)

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 05-28-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

Yes, look under the handguards and see if the barrel is the same thickness between the chamber and gas block as after the block. Usually a HBAR is .750" but can be thicker.

The A2/govt profile is .625" under the handguards and .750" after the gas block. There are various opinions why the barrel was made this way but I can't see much sense to them. If pencil size before the gas block then why not slim down the muzzle too! (Which is why today the LW barrels are so popular - as they were before the A2.)
I looked at it does taper but no big deal. For the price i can't go wrong. I'm also picking up a taurus PT99 9mm in stainless, and a ruger .357 magnum also in stainless. The guns belonged to a recently passed away relative who had over 300 guns and before they go to auction i got to go over the collection and pick a few i wanted to buy.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #10

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Just bought a lower reciever on a wim because I found one lol. Its a Franklin Armory. Looking thru so many magazines its tough to figure out how I want to build it. Lots of great options. I'm new to this and have some books coming to study. Going to depend on you guys on here for questions so get ready.