Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New Upper, What Caliber?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Olympus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,293
Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default New Upper, What Caliber?

Thinking about buying my first alternate complete upper in a different caliber. However, I'm not really certain what caliber I should go with. I'm thinking 7.62x.39 since it's still relatively cheap to shoot and I like that caliber as an option for whitetail hunting also. But there are just so many different calibers for the AR platform that I really don't know what I should be considering.

Any recommendations on calibers and good places to shop for them?

__________________
Olympus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 09-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dog2000tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,309
Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Default

458SOCOM ... go big or go home

__________________

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

dog2000tj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,904
Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

7.62x39

Is a an excellent choice for cheap shooting, and hell even a few deer at 150 yards or less.

Go practical or go home

__________________
ineverFTF is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:30 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Hate to disagree with my young padwan, but 7.62 x 39mm is a HORRIBLE choice for a platform built for accuracy like the AR.

The trajectory of a battleship and the range of 200 or maybe 300 yards at best if you angle for the third star off the moon and hope for the best.

You want cheap ammo, fun to shoot, an abundance of the stuff on the shelf and you didn't mention range being a factor?

.22lr drop in conversion.

Now, factor in the whitetail and I am thinking one cartridge for you.

6.5 Grendel. 140 grain bullets down to about 90 grains. Good and effective out to about 750 yards.

Lots of quality uppers for sale available in 6.5 Grendel to choose from.

Just sayin'

JD

__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,904
Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger
Hate to disagree with my young padwan, but 7.62 x 39mm is a HORRIBLE choice for a platform built for accuracy like the AR.

The trajectory of a battleship and the range of 200 or maybe 300 yards at best if you angle for the third star off the moon and hope for the best.

You want cheap ammo, fun to shoot, an abundance of the stuff on the shelf and you didn't mention range being a factor?

.22lr drop in conversion.

Now, factor in the whitetail and I am thinking one cartridge for you.

6.5 Grendel. 140 grain bullets down to about 90 grains. Good and effective out to about 750 yards.

Lots of quality uppers for sale available in 6.5 Grendel to choose from.

Just sayin'

JD
I understand the 7.62x39 is no sniper round, but is it really so bad it wouldn't hold a decent pattern at 150 yards?
__________________
ineverFTF is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:43 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Olympus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,293
Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

I don't think the .458 or the 6.5 are going to be a viable option. Primary function would be plinking and fun shooting with a secondary option of hunting. I've got a ton of hunting rifles, so this wouldn't be a big deal. As long as it will hold a 3" group at 100 yards, that would be acceptable with me. I don't typically hunt in terrain where shots are over 100 yards. And if I did, I'd be bringing a different gun altogether.

No way I'm doing a .22 or 9mm upper. Got enough .22s and 9mms.

Another option is completely scrapping the second upper option and go with a M1 Carbine. Been in love with that gun ever since the first time I shot one. I would be purely a fun shooter. And since I reload, the straight walled case makes things much easier to reload for.

__________________

Last edited by Olympus; 09-07-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Olympus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF View Post
I understand the 7.62x39 is no sniper round, but is it really so bad it wouldn't hold a decent pattern at 150 yards?
It loses almost 2.5" in flight, but loses 40% of it's energy from 0' to 150 yards.

Add to that the fact that "match grade" and "foreign bloc" are not words ever found together in the ammunition buying realm and the short answer is:

Yes, it can group a pattern, in a gun that was designed to shoot much better and in the hands of a shooter that is FAR more capable than the round deserves.

JD
__________________

Last edited by Dillinger; 09-07-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Dillinger is offline  
dog2000tj Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,904
Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

What about a 243 upper?

Ammo is cheaper than 458 and 6.5 by a long shot (pun intended).

And at 100 you have plenty of kill power.

__________________
ineverFTF is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,904
Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger

It loses almost 2.5" in flight, but loses 40% of it's energy from 0' to 150 yards.

Add to that the fact that "match grade" and "foreign bloc" are not two words ever found together in the ammunition buying realm and the short answer is:

Yes, it can group a pattern, in a gun that was designed to shoot much and in the hands of a shooter that is FAR more capable than the round deserves.

JD
Thanks for the lesson.
__________________
ineverFTF is offline  
Dillinger Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
I don't think the .458 or the 6.5 are going to be a viable option. Primary function would be plinking and fun shooting with a secondary option of hunting. I've got a ton of hunting rifles, so this wouldn't be a big deal. As long as it will hold a 3" group at 100 yards, that would be acceptable with me. I don't typically hunt in terrain where shots are over 100 yards. And if I did, I'd be bringing a different gun altogether.

No way I'm doing a .22 or 9mm upper. Got enough .22s and 9mms.
Well hell, you aren't making this easy.

How about .45 ACP? You obviously have plenty of it.
__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Upper Receiver for AR-15, .458 caliber Fates_Enemy AR-15 Discussion 31 06-18-2012 07:25 AM
AR-15 Chiappa .22 upper/CMMG upper any thoughts? greggos .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 2 02-23-2011 05:59 PM
Large caliber options for Ar-15 upper? Looks like .223 round is max fastline AR-15 Discussion 10 02-07-2011 04:29 AM
.22 caliber belt fed upper for M11 smg lower? Takk Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 0 08-24-2010 05:39 AM
AR Upper Build Question - DD Barrel Nut Hard To Thread On To Upper Cnynrat AR-15 Discussion 3 05-27-2009 03:52 AM