Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New to upper build. Trying to find a barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New to upper build. Trying to find a barrel

I didn't see a discussion about barrels, so I figured I would ask here. I am sort of new to the AR building world, and was wondering if anyone knew where to get M-4 Barrels for a decent price. I checked with DPMS and Stag arms, and a few other places that had them all on back order. Some of the independant distributers that have them in stock are over priced (assuming it's due to a supply and demand thing). I am open to a few twist rates, and Chrome lined would be nice, but if it's not, that's fine too. I don't have search available to me. So, I was just wondering what people here thought on the matter. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

What are you trying to build?

With a name like Long Range Jones, but asking about an M4 barrel, you have me completely confused.

What do you want the weapon to do for you?

And what components do you already have?

JD

Old 08-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #3

I have a full upper parts kit that I have been gathering over time. I have the bolt, carrier, hand guards, gas tube, and all. I am using a gas block instead of a front site. This is just going to be a "for fun" weapon. I am not planning on doing anything major with it. Just a few varmints, and take it to the range. I picked up the lower pre-ban (California) and never did anything with it. I figured now would be a good time to build it, since I have been seeing a lot of AR parts starting to become available.

The username comes from a rather lucky shot when deer hunting in Wyoming a few years ago. I managed to hit a deer that I probably shouldn't have shot at because it was so far away. It dropped on the spot. My friends started calling me "Long Range" in passing after that, and it sort of just stuck ha ha. That weapon is what I use for longer range stuff. However, it is just a hunting rifle. It's a 300 Win Mag built off of a slightly modified mauser receiver, that someone built for me a while back. Thanks for the quick reply.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, Chrome lined barrels are for heavy, full auto, lots of lead slinging.

For a target rifle, they are easy to clean and maintain, but they don't offer the best accuracy.

If you want a varmint gun, then you probably need to think about getting a full 20" NON-chrome lined barrel and a free floated front handguard.

If you want a standard 16" front end for out to 200-300 yards Minute of Bad Guy, then you could go with a standard GI chrome lined barrel.

What bullet weight are you looking at shooting? That will help determine the twist rate of the barrel you select....

Old 09-03-2009, 12:28 AM   #5

Coming into the thread kind of late.... but I just got mine from midway usa. They are the only people I've found that get anything in stock lately.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:58 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrangejones View Post
I didn't see a discussion about barrels, so I figured I would ask here. I am sort of new to the AR building world, and was wondering if anyone knew where to get M-4 Barrels for a decent price. I checked with DPMS and Stag arms, and a few other places that had them all on back order. Some of the independant distributers that have them in stock are over priced (assuming it's due to a supply and demand thing). I am open to a few twist rates, and Chrome lined would be nice, but if it's not, that's fine too. I don't have search available to me. So, I was just wondering what people here thought on the matter. Thanks.
Keep an eye on these guys...

PK Firearms

They seem to always have something you need. And if you see it on the site...it's IN STOCK.

Slo