New Too AR-15 World
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New Too AR-15 World

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Too AR-15 World

Hello All. Started out at entry level in the AR-15 world with the DPMS Sportical. I now have a 1" riser and a CenterPoint scope with flashlight a laser mounted. I also have a JP spring kit on the way.
Is there anything else that "needs" to be addressed with this weapon?

Please dont bash me for an entry level AR. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #2

What would you like to do with the rifle?? SHTF?? Classes?? Hunt?? Range use only??

Old 02-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

We don't have AR snobs here. They get run off pretty quick when they see the number of our members who have built their own weapons that shoot just as well as the same ranges.

I agree with doose, in order to address what you might think you "need" we need to know what you intend to do with it.

Off the top of my head I believe you have probably a 16", lightweight barrel with the plastic "Glaciershield" clamshell front hand guards. Outside of quality mags ( look at Cammenga's speed feed ones, they are AMAZING ) and ammo, I would look at free floating your barrel to get better accuracy out of the weapon.

Let us know some more about your intent and we can help you get to where you want to be.

JD

Old 02-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacraracer View Post
Hello All. Started out at entry level in the AR-15 world with the DPMS Sportical. I now have a 1" riser and a CenterPoint scope with flashlight a laser mounted. I also have a JP spring kit on the way.

Someone may be along claiming you need a bayonet...ignore him and listen to JD...unless of course you want a bayonet then by all means indulge yourself.

Seriously, many here have built or started with a so-called entry level AR and have never had a problem. We don't worship "the chart" here and you won't get any judgemental or derogatory remarks over your choice of SUR. What you will find are a bunch of fine folk willing to share their knowledge and expertise to further the shooting sport and have a good time doing it.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-04-2011, 04:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacraracer View Post

You will need ammo lots and lots of ammo Lube. Ive had good luck with CLP. Keep ity clean and lubed and shoot the snot out of it !

Old 02-04-2011, 05:22 AM   #6

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

I would be slow to make changes now and would get some good magazines like JD suggested and different brands of ammo and see how your AR works with it and what it likes best. Put your money in ammo, shoot it a lot and see how it works.

You probably have a carbine weight (unmarked) buffer so an H buffer probably would smooth out the cycling, maybe even an H2 if you think the bolt carrier is slamming back pretty hard. Choosing the right buffer weight is tricky, you want your light loads to cycle reliably and lock back the bolt on the last round - but you don't want your heavy loads to beat up the rifle.

As far as "The Chart" some of us do think highly of the information, I certainly do, but we're a friendly group and understand we all have different wants and needs - and budgets. Besides, I bet we all drive different cars, have different computers and HDTVs.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #7

Thanks for all of the quick responses. JD you are right on the money as far as which weapon I have. As far as what I'm going to use my AR for? Pretty much everything, hunting, plinking, target shooting and varmint killing. My budget is not very big at all. Wife is STILL mad about the purchase.
I've only put 22 rounds through the AR so far. I have makeshift range in my backyard, 100yds. But I'm gonna "really" sight it in Sunday at a real range.
Even with the small amount of rounds fired, I want to take some of the travel, creep and pull out of the trigger. But I want to do it as cheap as possible. My local AR guru told me today I can send my trigger group to a guy and for $54 will make it work wonders along with the matched JP springs I mentioned about putting in.
SO, with all that. What do you think?

Old 02-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #8

I have a Stag trigger group with the JP springs that I set up for a .22 upper and they are an improvement. I leave my SHTF milspec

Old 02-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #9

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

I also like the Stag milspec trigger. I'd say buy a Stag LPK and install that trigger/hammer/disconnector and springs. About the same cost of the trigger job you're talking about but you end up with lots of spare parts. And a safer military trigger.

It is not hard to replace the fire control group.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:58 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I would avoid having anyone do trigger work on your parts. The surface hardening of AR parts is easily compromised.

All of my ARs have Defender D Rings on the extractor springs and it is the single best upgrade I can recommend to enhance reliability.

I also have played around with several buffers and have settled on the Enidine buffers. In a semi auto AR they are great.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."