Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   New Sport Utility Rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/new-sport-utility-rifle-69875/)

partdeux 08-08-2012 01:17 AM

New Sport Utility Rifle

ok, now WTH do I do? :)

This is one seriously beautifully mfg piece of hardware AR15 from Windham Weaponry. Field stripped and cleaned it tonight, and very impressed...

But seriously, WTH do I do with it :) do I go through the extended break in procedure? Any particular brand ammo to start with?

AgentTikki 08-08-2012 01:44 AM

Go out and shoo lotsa different kinds of ammo through it. A little of the expensive stuff, a lotta cheap stuff.

When time and funds permit, take a carbine course!

CHLChris 08-08-2012 01:51 AM

Optics. Since I don't have multiple AR-15's yet, I have both a 2-8x scope AND plan to buy an EOTech 517.

Iron sights. Zero the iron sights at 50 yards (comes back to zero at 220 yards).

Handguard options. Rails could use a vertical foregrip (not my choice) or a Magpul AFG2, or nothing. But you should consider what to do there.

Sling. There is such a huge range of options here, you may want to start thinking about it.

Dillinger 08-08-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partdeux (Post 896504)

This is one seriously beautifully mfg piece of hardware AR15 from Windham Weaponry. Field stripped and cleaned it tonight, and very impressed...

But seriously, WTH do I do with it :)

Uh?! Bro!!

The FIRST thing you do is take some pictures and post some GUN PR0N!!! :cool:

Geez. Get a load of the new guy. All talk and no pics. ;)

JD

partdeux 08-08-2012 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 896583)
Uh?! Bro!!

The FIRST thing you do is take some pictures and post some GUN PR0N!!! :cool:

Geez. Get a load of the new guy. All talk and no pics. ;)

JD

ROFLMAO!

Kinda hard to do that while I'm playing on the internet watching Olympics :)

It's a special Cabela's model that most closely resembles this one
http://www.windhamweaponry.com/pdf/UpdatedTechSheets/SRCMSRPPRICING.pdf
has a fixed from sight, and the upgraded diamond rear sight.

Best part, it was mispriced on their display model... I got it for $40 less then the computer rang it up for :)

Bad part, I'm looking at probably about 2-3 weeks before I'll have an opportunity to shoot it.

treehugger49 08-08-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

But seriously, WTH do I do with it :) do I go through the extended break in procedure? Any particular brand ammo to start with?

Nope. Just shoot it to your heart's desire, then take it home and clean it.

Personally I'd stay away from steel-cased cheap ammo until it's well broken in. That way, should you run into any feeding/extraction issues you may reasonably rule out the ammo. You can find M-193 ammo all day for under $.30/round. I'm assuming that it is capable of firing 5.56.....

dog2000tj 08-08-2012 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

1st ..... gives us pitchers!!! :(

2nd ..... get iron sights on her!!!

3rd ..... shoot it!!! a lot!!!

4th ..... gives us range reportz!!!

as for break in i have heard both yay and nay on this. I chose to do so with mine but have no comparison as to whether it is beneficial or not. If this is a fun/range/shtf/zombie gun than sub MOA accuracy is not really critical - 3"-4" at 100yds will still put the bad guy down. if you are planning long distance/target/varmint shooting (probably not the best set up for this particular rifle) than a good 100rd break in process might be worthwhile.

as for ammo - try as many brands as you wish to see which one gives the best result. Same goes for bullet weights - different weights will give you different results. I would shy away from steel cased ammo personally until you get her running smoothly and any kinks worked out.

critical to performance will be good mags ..... and lot' of them. Run them over and over to weed out any hinky ones ... and don't toss them either because even a hinky mag can be a valuable training tool. Just make sure they don't end up in your zombie/shtf gear bag :p

Congratulations :D

AgentTikki 08-08-2012 05:27 PM

If you don't have a precision stainles barrel, don't worry abour break in.

This is a platform that's mean to be shot....alot. Go have u sum fum.

partdeux 08-10-2012 10:59 PM

MFG emailed me back, they said 150-200 rounds, then clean it.

It came with upgraded iron sights, that's why I bought the Cabela's custom model.

Shooting a bunch of stuff tomorrow, but not my own Rifle

Maybe photos will come this weekend, but just found out mom is extremely sick in the hospital. Really long story, but a couple of enablers and my whacko sister weren't going to tell me. Hospital called, their legal department is requesting I go to court and get guardianship... First I even heard of a problem. {sigh} Nothing like getting a call of that magnitude.