Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > NEW---Spikes Tactical Billet Reciever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default NEW---Spikes Tactical Billet Reciever

Just found this at Spike's Tactical Biohazard BILLET Upper/Lower Set [BH - Billet] - $499.95 : Spikes Tactical

Spike's Tactical Biohazard BILLET Upper/Lower Set
Starting at: $499.95

PREORDERS! Your card will be charged when you order and you will ship FIRST! ETA early February....

The details....

LOWER SPECS:

-Machined from 7075 billet with Type III hardcoat annodized finish
-Integrated winter style trigger guard
-Ambi bolt release, The Ambi bolt release and bolt catch are installed
-Flared magwell
-Textured on the front of the magwell
-Low shelf for RDIAS
-Captured buffer retaining pin and rear takedown pin (no more calls for spares)
-Set screw for trigger reset
-Set screw for upper to lower tension (how sweet is that?)
-Bolt catch and bolt release are retained with a threaded pin rather than a roll pin
-Lower can be assembled with out a hammer and punch (amazing huh?)

UPPER SPECS:

-Machined from 7075 billet with Type III hardcoat annodized finish
-M4 feedramps
-Beefy design which is stiffer allowing less flex
-Front of receiver is machined to accept most after market rail systems (yes, we play nice with everyone else)
-Comes with the forward assist and ejection port door installed
-The most beautiful lines you'll see on anything other than your wife!

Introductory Price of only $499.95

While our upper and lower are a perfect match they will work with forged uppers and lowers as well. Before you ask... these sets are NOT being split up.

WOW:
Overkill?----Yes
Expensive?---Yes
But very sweet looking!! Thought I'd share---Gate

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

nice piece!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-17-2010, 12:49 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yep, very nice. Again, an example of "Nice = PRICE". But Spikes is very good quality, too. I dunno if it is $499.95 worth of goodness though

Check this one out:

Product Information
Description:

Mega Machine Shop has built their reputation for making the highest quality AR15 parts on the market while keeping prices low. Mega has just introduced a BILLET combo cut from solid 7075 aluminum bar stock. The combo includes the complete upper with forward assist & trap door, lower & charging handle

Features:

■7075 Billet Aluminum
■Flared Magwell
■Integrated Trigger Guard
■Lower / Upper Tensioning Screw
■Mega Billet charging handle included
■Made in the USA
List Price: $399.95
Your Price: $375.00

Rainier Arms - Mega Billet Upper/Lower Combo

Still nice, and $125 less

Slo

Old 01-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Personally, I have to ask...is the price worth the tighter tolerneces and will those tolerences benefit me? Right now...I'm not seeing it.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:04 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Personally, I have to ask...is the price worth the tighter tolerneces and will those tolerences benefit me? Right now...I'm not seeing it.
^^^Same question. What are the benefits?
I do like the Ambi-bolt release on the spikes, does the mega have it as well?
Would make clearing double feed malfunctions easier, like using a Magpul BAD.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 01-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Spittinfire,

That's a subjective thing. Some folks don't like the play in a standard AR upper to lower fit. Personally, it doesn't really bother me, at least not as much as if I see daylight between the two when they are assembled. Typical assemblies have some movement between the two. But heck, if you pick up most AR's/M16's/M4's, there is all kinds of play - whether it is between the receiver fit, the stock, the handguards - the things rattle. Some don't mind it. Some prefer some looseness, as it makes it easier to take apart, field strip, and clean. And some swear that the looseness keeps them in the game, where something tighter might choke up on some dirt or grime and quit on them. Again, it's all up to the individuals.

If you were building for extreme accuracy, I would say that you would want as precise a fit as feasible. Some will even go as far as machining the upper and lower to exact fit, squaring up the barrel to receiver fit, too . By limiting the movement between the two receivers, you can gain a little more accuracy. They also will machine the bolt to buffer mating, too, but that is more of a wear thing.

So, is it necessary? No, not really. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If the gun will be used for plinking, target shooting, all-around use, and occasional BG/Zombie perforation, then Billet uppers, is more of a "show" thing. If you are going for .5 or less MOA on every shot, again, can you do it without the Billet? Sure. There are lots of other things to consider in the accuracy formula. A good barrel. A good trigger. A good BCG. A good upper to lower fit. And good shooting habits/training.

I do like the RRA upper to lower fit, as they seem to have some of the better tolerance control in fit. Mega, Spikes, CMT/Stag, Sun Devil, Noveske, LMT all have very good fit, specially when you match them with their own uppers and lowers. Billet receivers tend to fit better, due to the nature of the beasts - they are machined to fit tighter, and of course, they cost more too.

So in answer to your question, no, you really don't need it. Unless - you are going for every .001 of MOA that you can possibly squeeze out of your finished piece. Or want to be the talk and cock of the walk

Slo

Old 01-17-2010, 01:22 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
Spittinfire,

That's a subjective thing. Some folks don't like the play in a standard AR upper to lower fit. Personally, it doesn't really bother me, at least not as much as if I see daylight between the two when they are assembled. Typical assemblies have some movement between the two. But heck, if you pick up most AR's/M16's/M4's, there is all kinds of play - whether it is between the receiver fit, the stock, the handguards - the things rattle. Some don't mind it. Some prefer some looseness, as it makes it easier to take apart, field strip, and clean. And some swear that the looseness keeps them in the game, where something tighter might choke up on some dirt or grime and quit on them. Again, it's all up to the individuals.

If you were building for extreme accuracy, I would say that you would want as precise a fit as feasible. Some will even go as far as machining the upper and lower to exact fit, squaring up the barrel to receiver fit, too . By limiting the movement between the two receivers, you can gain a little more accuracy. They also will machine the bolt to buffer mating, too, but that is more of a wear thing.

So, is it necessary? No, not really. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If the gun will be used for plinking, target shooting, all-around use, and occasional BG/Zombie perforation, then Billet uppers, is more of a "show" thing. If you are going for .5 or less MOA on every shot, again, can you do it without the Billet? Sure. There are lots of other things to consider in the accuracy formula. A good barrel. A good trigger. A good BCG. A good upper to lower fit. And good shooting habits/training.

I do like the RRA upper to lower fit, as they seem to have some of the better tolerance control in fit. Mega, Spikes, CMT/Stag, Sun Devil, Noveske, LMT all have very good fit, specially when you match them with their own uppers and lowers. Billet receivers tend to fit better, due to the nature of the beasts - they are machined to fit tighter, and of course, they cost more too.

So in answer to your question, no, you really don't need it. Unless - you are going for every .001 of MOA that you can possibly squeeze out of your finished piece. Or want to be the talk and cock of the walk

Slo
I undersand your position and I agree. If I wanted to get EVERY SINGLE LAST BIT OF ACCURACY out of a rifle, I could see spending that money. I can kill you(a man) at 500 yards with a boot camp M16. My rifle score proves it....I'm not a bench rest shooter, I'm a real world shooter. That is a beautiful piece of machine work but I don't need it and for 99% of the people shooting an AR, a bone stock one will still out shoot them(I include myself in that number).

If you are worried about .001 of an inch at 100 yards, you're shooting skills are greater then I can even understand.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:10 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I undersand your position and I agree. If I wanted to get EVERY SINGLE LAST BIT OF ACCURACY out of a rifle, I could see spending that money. I can kill you(a man) at 500 yards with a boot camp M16. My rifle score proves it....I'm not a bench rest shooter, I'm a real world shooter. That is a beautiful piece of machine work but I don't need it and for 99% of the people shooting an AR, a bone stock one will still out shoot them(I include myself in that number).

If you are worried about .001 of an inch at 100 yards, you're shooting skills are greater then I can even understand.
Understand that I am not pushing spending that kind of money on anyone's receivers or on their AR's. And I believe it, that you can shoot WITHOUT the need to have that kind of money tied up in receivers. And the .001 MOA, was thrown out there for for those folks out there who think they can tell the difference. Not me I shoot just fine with what I have.

I have AR's set up for different types of shooting, whether it be for hunting, varmint shooting, accuracy, self defense, the right tool for the job, so to speak.

And I have a few, that are my go-to pieces for whatever SHTF scenarios. Those pieces are made up of normal forged receivers that just happen to fit well, with the extra money spent in good barrels, some very good triggers, and very reliable BCG's. Other than that, they have grips, stocks, and handguards that fit me well, are comfortable and practical for my uses. As for any attachments, optics that work for me, and maybe a light.

So, as far as building the perfect AR goes, it all depends on the eyes and hands of the beholder. IF that person happens to think or believe that he/she needs those Billet receivers, then by all means, they should go for it. Or with whatever else they choose to add or subtract from this particular tool, that will make it what they feel it needs to be, for their use. I don't advocate spending the money on those big-ticket items like that, unless someone really believes it is what they want or need.

I will admit, I do have a very accurate stick that was built on Billet upper and lower that were squared up with the barrel, and machined to match, with a 24" Kreiger barrel, Geiselle 2-stage trigger, Young National Match BCG, topped with a Schmidt & Bender 4-16x50 scope, Magpul PRS stock, and Harris bipod. Yes, it did cost a few nickels to build, and yes - it was in EXCESS. But...it will shoot better than .50 MOA on most days with match ammo, and will shoot MOA out to 500 yards. And one or two others that are set up a little different than that one, that will shoot almost as well. WHY? because it was a couple saved up bonuses/tax returns, and more of a personal challenge to myself to see if I could really build something like that.

But the ones that get shot the most, I have less than $1000 into. And they do just fine, and will shoot better than me anyday. But they do what I need them to do, and that's just fine with me.

Slo