Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New Spike's Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Spike's Rifle

So after selling my other AR 6 or 8 months ago, I've been getting the itch to get another, and last night I was finally in a position to scratch that itch. Went to a pretty nice gun shop about 15 minutes from my house and picked up a Spike's Tactical ST-15 Carbine Length. I really would have preferred a Mid-Length, but I can't find them anywhere. All the online stores I know of are out, and Spike's rifles fly off the shelves around here. Spike's Tactical is in the town north of mine, as is the gun shop I went to. I probably could throw a rock from the shop and hit Spike's place. So needless to say, their rifles were popular around here way before they got real big nationwide, and are even more so now. Back to the topic at hand, I wanted a Mid-Length, but was lucky to find this one, so I settled and went ahead and picked it up. I'll either pick up a new upper in the future or just switch out the barrel on this one, or maybe do nothing, who knows.

I ended up paying $882 out the door for the rifle, and to top it off they gave me a great deal on some Magpul furniture. I picked up an ACS, MIAD, MBUS, and 2 PMags all in FDE to go with it. Here's a pic of how it sits now. Sorry for the crappy pic, it's from my iPhone. I'll get some better pics up tomorrow.

The next thing on the list is a sling, but I can't decide between 1 or 2 point. I've had a 2-point quick adjust in the past, so I think I may pick up a 1 point just to try it out. Anyone have any suggestions on a good one? I was thinking about maybe picking up the Magpul, but was unsure of it's quality.

The next thing to go will be the FSP and Handguard, which will be replaced with a 13" Troy Alpha w/o sight and low profile gas block. Then I'll ditch the MBUS and top it off with some Troy Battle Sights. Anyone ever used the HK style front sight? Look's kind of interesting but I've never used one. I'll have to stop by the gun shop and see if they've got something on the wall with them and check out the sight picture.

Once I get the rail and sights a Surefire 6PX Pro in a Larue Mount will be next.

Eventually I'll pick up an Aimpoint ML3 with 2MOA dot in a Larue QD mount, but that's towards the end of the list. Other than that it's just a few odds and ends here and there. B.A.D. lever, MOE trigger guard, lots of Mags and ammo, and maybe a Smith Vortex to see what all the rage is about. Now if I could just win the lottery so I didn't have to wait so long to get it all finished.

Let me know what you guys think. If you have any opinions on slings or HK vs. M4 style front sight let me know. Heck, if you have any opinions on anything let me know. I try to keep an open mind and am always up for advice and opinions.

Thanks for reading.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2011, 02:21 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Now that is sexy! Well played for $882 and some "extras".

Range report??

JD

Old 11-02-2011, 02:25 AM   #3

Thanks man! It was kinda late last night and we had this big Halloween thing going on downtown so I had to get home without shooting it, and had class all day today. No big deal though, it just gives me a chance to clean it first. I'll probably clean it and take it to the range, get it sighted in and run it through the paces after the gym tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have the range report up tomorrow evening.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-02-2011, 02:40 AM   #4

Just thought I would add; if anyone is on the fence about getting a Spike's rifle, do it!

The upper to lower fit is very tight on this rifle, the bolt key is properly staked, fit and finish is outstanding, plus it's got their logo(which is awesome looking) in a few different places which I thought was a nice touch. The best thing about it that sets it apart from other AR's that I've fired is the trigger. It's a standard GI trigger, but on their website it says that they polish it during assembly and they weren't kidding.

For a factory trigger I think you would be hard pressed to find a better one. This thing has almost no take-up, very little over-travel, a very short reset, and while I don't have a trigger pull gauge, I will say that it's a very nice weight. If I had to guess I'd say it's 5ish pounds, which is about what I like on a SUR.

Plus they have a lifetime warranty. The nice thing about that for me is if I have any problems, I just drive it over to their shop.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 11-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have a Magpul MS2 sling and I love it. It doesn't have bungie on it but it does have great features like converting from one point to two point in seconds and it works great. I am posting a link to a bayonet lug rail adapter to think about, it is a great place to put the front sling point, is ambidexterious and give you a little rail space where I mounted my light as well. quality piece of gear.

AR-15/M16 BAYONET LUG ACCESSORY MOUNT - Brownells

Old 11-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #6

Likes Given: 4

My friends (and yours) recommended I try a Viking Tactical (vtac) sling and I love it. Killer looking weapon dude! Great score!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Good looking rifle.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCooper
My friends (and yours) recommended I try a Viking Tactical (vtac) sling and I love it. Killer looking weapon dude! Great score!
I've seen the VCAS slings, and if I were gonna get a 2-point, it would probably be one of those. How does the VTAC compare to the VCAS?

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 11-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Basically the same.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Basically the same.
That's what I figured.

I'd still like to pick up the Magpul sling to give one-points a try, the only thing is, they're transitioning from the MS2 to the MS3, and every place I've found is already out of and not ordering any more MS2s, and haven't gotten any MS3s in yet. So I'm either gonna have to wait for them to come in, or get a different sling.

On a side note, I got it to the range today, and am very impressed. The rifle shot excellent. Luckily it was pretty well sighted in so it only took a few shots to get it dead on. Even with the carbine length gas system it was very smooth shooting. Fired 20 rounds of PMC and 80 rounds of AE, and didn't have any malfunctions of any kind.

I've got some pictures of the targets and will post a full range report tomorrow because I've got some homework that takes precedence tonight.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!