Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New RRA upper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4474 Times on 2359 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus556 View Post
Open sights but strapped in a lead sled.

The lower twist rate and heavier bullet will cause keyholing. If you have a 1:12 twist, I would use someting like a Sierra 45grn SP. Heavier bullets need a faster twist.
i knew exactly what it was going to do. normally i shoot 55grn btfmj out of the 1:12. i just wanted to see where the accuracy degraded so badly it was no good anymore, breakdown point is about 45-50yards. its MOG to that point (minute of goblin). since the new upper is the first one i will be shooting regularly that is capable of using bullets in heavier weights ive always used 55grn it was just a first hand gotta see for myself.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #32
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4474 Times on 2359 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
JonM, what shipping time did you end up having from RRA on your upper? I'm probably going to go with a complete RRA 5.56 AR upper from them too, but the 60 days shipping time seems long.
i ordered it 6/26 got the shipping notice yesterday 7/15. not bad considering there was a major helliday in there. its supposed to be here monday so well under their 30-60 day lead time. my 458socom upper from them took 120days but that was during the OMG obamao just got elected crunch.

this will be my second RRA upper if its anything remotely the quality and accuracy of the socom its well worth the wait.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-16-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #33
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1806 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 971

JD,

To answer the question about what is the "NEW RRA NM Rear Sight". It is a special designed A-2 NM Removable Sight that is acceptable for DCM Competition at Camp Perry and other events. It certainly has NM Spec parts in it. And can be ordered with 1/4-1/4, 1/2-1/2, or 1/4-1/2 elevation and windage adjustments. But what makes it different is the design of the interior. When the DCM/NRA and competition groups authorized the removable handles use for matches only a few years ago, there was a problem that no one had thought about. Since they needed to shoot up to 600 yards at Camp Perry and similar events, they could not have enough elevation on the sight to get up to 600 yards for competition. If they modified the rear sights to go to 600 then they could not get them to come back down to 200 and lower. So Rock River was the first to design the New NM Removable Carry Handle that would go up to 600 and come down to 200 or less when needed. It is all done via tolerance, design, and modifications of the internal parts although they look similar.
That upper that JonM got is one accurate upper! It is the one used on all of the Rock River National Match Rifles that are sold and used at Camp Perry.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #34

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i ordered it 6/26 got the shipping notice yesterday 7/15. not bad considering there was a major helliday in there. its supposed to be here monday so well under their 30-60 day lead time. my 458socom upper from them took 120days but that was during the OMG obamao just got elected crunch.

this will be my second RRA upper if its anything remotely the quality and accuracy of the socom its well worth the wait.
Well, that's not too bad! I don't mind waiting up to 30 day to get what I want the way you can when you custom order from RRA.