Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   new rifle extraction issue (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/new-rifle-extraction-issue-19825/)

Wyatt Earp 11-06-2009 12:03 AM

new rifle extraction issue

Hi everyone,

Took my new ar-15 to the range for the first time today. Had an interesting extraction issue that I've not heard about before. Since I was working up loads and breaking in the barrel, I decided to single load the first rounds w/out the magazine being in place. The single rounds would not extract/eject and the extractor tore the rim of the cartridge off on the side where it pulls. These were starting loads on the low side approx 2600fps (chrono) IMR 3031. I decided to shoot the next rounds from a loaded 30 rnd mag and not a single extraction problem in the next 100 rnds.

I'm asking if this is normal? I have done searches and not seen this issue discussed or was aware of this being a known problem. I will leave names out at this point and just say the upper is factory assembled from a well respected supplier.

Thanks you and be safe

Gatekeeper 11-06-2009 12:47 AM

Sounds like the extractor did not get a full grip on the rim. Id say load from the mag or single load round in chamber, ease the bolt forward and give the forward assist a tap to make sure bolt is fully seated.---------- .02 Ken

FCross7 11-06-2009 12:56 AM

After the 100 magazine fed rounds, did you try single loading anymore?

-Fred

Wyatt Earp 11-06-2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCross7 (Post 182949)
After the 100 magazine fed rounds, did you try single loading anymore?

-Fred

No, I didn't try single loading again. That is a good suggestion and will do that at my next range session. But at this moment I'm thinking it was an issue of a brand new rifle coupled with low pressure rnds.

Thanks for the responses.

ARP 11-11-2009 06:48 AM

a couple of things come to mind, it could be overgassed so the carrier travels too fast. It could be a rough chamber with the case sticking.
M193 loads are hot, overpressure in some chambers and they have been known to do the same thing often.
2600fps with 3031 doesn't sound hot unless it was a 16" barrel.
A little Iosso paste on a large 410 caliber or larger bore mop could clean the chamber, just be careful to stay clear of the throat.
A carbine gas system should have a .0625-.070 port anything larger could overgas the system.

hillbilly68 11-25-2009 11:27 PM

You seated the round in the chamber manually and then let the bolt go home on the seated round?

mrm14 11-26-2009 02:20 AM

Dont know about the AR's but on a Springfield M-14/M1A if you dont let the bolt snap/slam shut when loading single round it sometimes wont eject either.

Dzscubie 11-26-2009 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp (Post 183232)
No, I didn't try single loading again. That is a good suggestion and will do that at my next range session. But at this moment I'm thinking it was an issue of a brand new rifle coupled with low pressure rnds.

Thanks for the responses.

Wyatt,

I had a similar type of incident this weekend with the AR I just finished building. I inserted a full magazine and let the bold go forward, after the first round fired I had a class III malfunction where the round fired did not extract and the next round tried to feed through it. I cleared the round out of the chamber with cleaning rod (came out really easy) and found the extractor had taken off the side of the case head. I used a chamber brush and cleaned the chamber really good and tried again. I fired the next 100 rounds without a problem and no repeat of this failure to extract. I think it was just a new weapon firing for the first time.

Wyatt Earp 11-26-2009 07:52 PM

Thanks for the responses. From all I can find out it is not uncommon with the ar-15 platform to have ejection/extraction issues with a new rifle, due to several reasons that work themselves out with use or cleaning. I still have not been back to the range but I believe my issues are in the past.
Yes Hillbilly, with the rounds that would not extract I inserted the round in the chamber and then dropped the bolt home. Could this be a problem? If so I would like an explanation. Later everyone and be safe.

Dzscubie 11-26-2009 08:35 PM

Wyatt,

From my experience and training when you insert a round in the chamber like the AR15 and let the bolt go forward you run the chance (small but still there) of breaking or chipping the extractor. As the bolt goes forward into battery the extractor rides over the case head and snaps into place. It is possible that a weakened extractor "might" break or chip off and you would have a failure to extract, however, this would probably not create the tearing off of the case rim. Then again, with anything mechanical nothing is guaranteed. Remember Murphy's Law.
Let us know if it happens again.