New rifle build and the last thing I need is sights or optics HELP! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New rifle build and the last thing I need is sights or optics HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I went with the Troy flip-ups. I bought some other stuff so the dealer came down some and I was at about $200 for the set. Make sure you purchase the front sight elevation tool ($9). 'back-up sights' is kind of a loose term here, these are super solid. I lined these up using my reflex sight and they are dead-on after that.

A resounding 'no' for plastic sights on the gas block is what I have heard, makes sense too - barrel and gas block get super hot when doing a lot of shooting
troy_hk_set.jpg  

Old 09-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 323 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 49

If you hand me your rifle and tell me to "make it mine"...

#1- I'm adding Magpul MBUS flip front/rear. Looking at your rifle, I see no reason why this wouldn't work. A F/R set can be found (even in FG to match) for like $80-95 on EBay.

#2- Get a red dot sight. Best options?
    • $120-160: Vortex Strikefire
    • $150-200: Vortex Sparc
    • $180-250: Lucid HD7 (good, but a little heavy)
    • $400+: Aimpoint

BTW- In my experience, there's nothing in the $250-400 price range that is clearly better than the Vortex/Lucid options.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #13

Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22
If you hand me your rifle and tell me to "make it mine"...
[*]$120-160: Vortex Strikefire[*]$150-200: Vortex Sparc[*]$180-250: Lucid HD7 (good, but a little heavy)[*]$400+: Aimpoint

What does the price jump up to the Aimpoint get you? More accurate, more durable, both?

Old 09-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6658 Times on 3542 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
What does the price jump up to the Aimpoint get you? More accurate, more durable, both?
Durability brighter dot reallllllllly long stupid long battery life common used batteries.

I've got a vortex strikefire and sparc along with an aimpoint the wife uses.

During very bright days you can barely see the vortex dot on high. We have never had to set the aimpoint past medium.

Battteries for the vortex's aren't easy to find sometimes and you can't leave them on without draining the batteries in a few weeks.

Durability is good on the lower end stuff but they can't take the beating an aimpoint can.

I like the vortex stuff but they are more for range toys and plinking. For hd or shtf aimpoint no question. The wifes aimpoint is 3 years old and still on the same battery it shipped with. Its never been turned off. Still on everyday all day
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 09-17-2013, 02:18 AM   #15

Liked 193 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I read good reviews on the Lucid earlier this year and ordered one from Optics Planet. My thinking was I would use it temporarily on my 5.56mm upper, then when I could afford something better for the 5.56, the Lucid would go on my CMMG .22 lr. upper. I kept the Lucid for about a week before sending it back. I didn't like seeing the diode housing on the side of the sight's field of view, and couldn't see the dot outside, unless it was turned up to max, then it got all fuzzy and blurry.. If I was to never go outside the house with it, the brightness was o.k.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:21 AM   #16

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

If the red dot is all fuzzy when you turn up the power its probably your eyes. I have to wear my glasses when using my Lucid which is fine by me because I'm near sighted. But I love my Lucid red dot and I live out in the desert where its really bright outside.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #17

Liked 193 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 117

As we get older our deteriorating eyesight sight sure can cause problems. To use iron sights anymore I have to put on my reading glasses to see the sights sharply, but then the target is fuzzy. I don't have a problem with other scopes, but most scopes have a diopter adjustment in the eyepiece that I can crank out to get the reticle sharp. I had no problem either with EO-Techs and a 4x ACOG, which had no focus adjustment.
chloeshooter Likes This 
Old 09-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
As we get older our deteriorating eyesight sight sure can cause problems. To use iron sights anymore I have to put on my reading glasses to see the sights sharply, but then the target is fuzzy. I don't have a problem with other scopes, but most scopes have a diopter adjustment in the eyepiece that I can crank out to get the reticle sharp. I had no problem either with EO-Techs and a 4x ACOG, which had no focus adjustment.
The point to take from this is that 'ideal for me' may not be the same as 'great for you'. In many cases, a great piece of equipment is a great piece of equipment...period. This can apply to BCGs, barrels, etc. But furniture and optics are a very personal choice, much like a carry pistol. Find what works for you.

I really like Vortex and Aimpoint. I dislike EoTech (they're not terrible, just don't measure up to my preferences given the cost), even though I own one...somewhat regrettably. Generally I'll recommend Aimpoint over EoTech every time, but I'm sure there are some who have sound personal reasons to disagree. Trijicon is probably great, but a little beyond my means and needs.

This board can often help to point you in the right general direction. But much of the AR journey ends up being trial and error.

Last edited by sweeper22; 09-17-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'll preface this by stating that I might have younger eyes than JonM, and he probably has more AR experience/knowledge/skill than I do; so take this for whatever you decide it's worth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Durability brighter dot reallllllllly long stupid long battery life common used batteries.

True. The Vortex is good for hundreds of hours and will turn itself off if left on after 8 hours. That's pretty cool. But Aimpoint batteries last. And last. And last. For thousands of hours. You can just leave them on, ready to go. And when you buy your backup battery, don't forget where you put it when you go looking in a few years.

I've got a vortex strikefire and sparc along with an aimpoint the wife uses.

During very bright days you can barely see the vortex dot on high. We have never had to set the aimpoint past medium.

The Vortex dot is fine for me. But I have (relatively) sharp and young eyes. But Aimpoint is in fact cleaner and crisper. Both are plenty accurate and hold zero well.

Battteries for the vortex's aren't easy to find sometimes and you can't leave them on without draining the batteries in a few weeks.

Batteries are easy to find, affordable, and have lasted well for me. I have a 12-pack of extras that have yet to warrant any use. Perhaps I've been lucky.

Durability is good on the lower end stuff but they can't take the beating an aimpoint can.

I haven't beat mine up enough to know better. Both are excellent in my opinion. Aimpoint is sort of 'the standard' (short of a $1K Trijicon anyway). Vortex is an affordable Aimpoint copy that's impossible to beat for the price.

I like the vortex stuff but they are more for range toys and plinking. For hd or shtf aimpoint no question. The wifes aimpoint is 3 years old and still on the same battery it shipped with. Its never been turned off. Still on everyday all day

If Vortex was all that fit my budget, I'd have no trouble trusting them to perform admirably in a critical situation. If Aimpoint is easily affordable, it's a sound investment. Just two good products (one a bit of a ripoff/copy of the other) that cater to different tiers of the market.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #20

Liked 1148 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

Another reason I like my Lucid , uses common one common AAA battery .Which also shuts its self off in 4 hours . I will not buy a Eotech , for that kind of money it should have a lifetime warranty not a 2 year warranty . Even the cheaper stuff like the Lucid and Vortex come with a no questions asked lifetime warranty . The people at both places have great customer service

Straight from their site

EOTech Limited Warranty

All EOTech products are created with pride in the USA. More importantly, they are manufactured with our customer's satisfaction in mind. EOTech warrants every product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 2 years from the original date of purchase.

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens