Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   New rifle build and the last thing I need is sights or optics HELP! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/new-rifle-build-last-thing-i-need-sights-optics-help-97076/)

DropZone889 09-15-2013 11:31 AM

New rifle build and the last thing I need is sights or optics HELP!

1 Attachment(s)
Bellow is a pic of my 99% complete 16" carbine and I looking for either Iron sights or optics , I'm using this for HD, Range, for SHTF GUN, or a tool for when boys start coming around for my daughter lol ( she's 8 but times flying by!)
I really like the Troy flip up iron sights but a little to pricey $200+ or the Magpul MBUS gen2 but I don't think I can mount the front on the gas block ( please correct me if I'm wrong cause I would like to go that way ) the new magpul MBUS Pros are nice all metal (ok to mount on gas block)but they are$200 or are there any other brands that can mount on gas block for $100 or less for set?
Or should I forget the sights and get an optic? What's a decent priced optic of quality gonna cost and what brand?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

DropZone889 09-15-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropZone889
Bellow is a pic of my 99% complete 16" carbine and I looking for either Iron sights or optics , I'm using this for HD, Range, for SHTF GUN, or a tool for when boys start coming around for my daughter lol ( she's 8 but times flying by!)
I really like the Troy flip up iron sights but a little to pricey $200+ or the Magpul MBUS gen2 but I don't think I can mount the front on the gas block ( please correct me if I'm wrong cause I would like to go that way ) the new magpul MBUS Pros are nice all metal (ok to mount on gas block)but they are$200 or are there any other brands that can mount on gas block for $100 or less for set?
Or should I forget the sights and get an optic? What's a decent priced optic of quality gonna cost and what brand?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

PS: Sorry for the typo in the heading, I can't figure how to edit the heeding while using their APP

sandog 09-15-2013 02:03 PM

Always good to have a set of irons on the rifle, zero them, learn to shoot well with them, then fold them down and they're there when you need them if you primarily run an optic ( hence the term Back Up Iron Sights). I have liked Troy sights, the Magpul polymer sights are light and less expensive. I have seen the Magpuls for $45 or so (Brownell's), Yesterday I saw a Magpul rear at at local sports store for $75. Yikes! So shop around.
For optics, If your eyes are still good, the many red dots and holographic sights are quick and will provide "minute of man" out to 300 yards or so. Beyond that, the dot tends to cover up much of the target. I have used EO-Techs, but now find I like a little magnification for longer shots. A low powered scope, such as a 1-4x or 1-5x, has the advantage of target identification at longer range, and many have a range finding or BDC reticle that will help you get close to the range and compensate for bullet drop. And cranked down to the lowest power of 1x or 1.5x are still pretty fast up close, especially when they have a lighted center dot to aid in picking up the reticle. I have used a 4x Acog that had a micro red dot mounted on it, best of both worlds but pricey at $1500 plus. I have been using a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x with the green FireDot SPR reticle. Scope is very clear , light at 9.6 oz. and cost under $400. Tics marks on the reticle are calibrated for 62 gr. M855 loads. At 4x , I can shoot decent groups out to 400 and 500 meters, and the tic marks are very close, within a few inches with my 62 gr. NATO loads. The elevation turret is marked for 55 gr. XM193, but for $30, Leupold's custom shop will make a turret calibrated for any bullet you want. There are other good choices from Vortex, Burris, Weaver and many other companies.

AgentTikki 09-15-2013 03:28 PM

I agree, get irons and learn how to shoot them. Get your fundamentals down.

Then go out and get an optic!

AgentTikki 09-15-2013 03:29 PM

Btw magpul has iron sights now, and there are numerous others that you can look into like Daniel defense, YHM, Matech, etc.

BigBizz87 09-15-2013 08:20 PM

I'm currently running Troy fixed sights with there Di-Optic rear, with no optic and have really enjoyed useing just the irons got them sighted for 25yds which is damn near perfect for CQB (imo) and any range I can go to for range time.

I do have a Vortex Strikefire red/green dot works great out to like 200yds and only cost about $175ish.

But it has been in its box on a shelf for about a year now only because I like my irons so much.

brianramirez 09-16-2013 02:15 AM

What about some free floating hand guards ??? Then get u some sights

John_Deer 09-16-2013 03:44 AM

I got a set of no name sights from midway. They are far better than the polymer sights that came with the DPMS kit. I paid $75 for them several years ago. I wouldn't care about a brand name. I would be more concerned with getting sights made of the material I wanted with the features I wanted. If you check your favorite vendors often you should find decent sights for a fair price. Sights are one thing vendors really mark down once they decide not to carry them any longer.

DropZone889 09-16-2013 06:59 AM

Thanks guys for all the 411 on sights and optics, so what's the consensus on the Magpul MUBUS poly sights on the gas block melting? Is it pretty safe to assume that it's not a good idea?

sandog 09-16-2013 10:26 AM

Polymer is pretty tough, not sure when it would melt but it's got to be like 300 or 400 degrees. I guess if you are going to use your AR as an "impromtu SAW" then a metal sight would be better. I haven't had a problem with mine, but I don't get my barrel and gas block glowing, either.