new, purchase on a 223/5.56 ??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > new, purchase on a 223/5.56 ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new, purchase on a 223/5.56 ??

Hey all quick question... I have been spending time at the range with a buddy who has allowed me to shoot his bushmaster 223.. I'm officially hooked. I have no, more then a grand to spend. What is going to be my best pick for the price over quality and accuracy? Please no 1500 dollar black swat approved models I can not go there the women in my life would kill me!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #2

Liked 979 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 979

Quick question... can you please fill in the blanks? What do you intend to do with the rifle? Give us as much detail as you can. I'd spend hours reading about ARs right now, it's by far the best favor you can do for yourself. We'll be glad to help but give this a lot of thought.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #3

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Quick question... can you please fill in the blanks? What do you intend to do with the rifle? Give us as much detail as you can. I'd spend hours reading about ARs right now, it's by far the best favor you can do for yourself. We'll be glad to help but give this a lot of thought.
This. Do this. Then come back and show us some that you are interested in.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Old 02-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think what Quentin is saying is there are a lot of threads where ppl has asked the very same question. It's hard for these guys to help if you don't clarify what is the purpose of the gun. Just plinking or 300 yrd shots or SHTF gun. Basically you can learn a lot by reading the other threads and narrow it down a bit. Then the gurus can help with specifics.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #5

I have the same question, been looking through threads. What if you want a shtf gun that you want to use for 300m plinking?

Old 02-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #6

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What about a Galil?? As a 300yard gun and a SHTF?? Id like one, but never have touched obe.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bushmaster has the orc which is cheap. I bought a daniel defense and they run around $1500, I got mine for a grand from a buddy that bought it and never used it. But check out delton they make some quality rifles from the reviews that are out there. Aero precisions and palmettos are good too. Id go with an ar for SHTF weapon. A galil wouldn't be my choice for an SHTF weapon because of avalibility of parts. Way more ar's out there than galils. Even a ruger mini 14 would be a good choice alsom

Old 02-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Always on top of things aren't you? This should be an automated responce.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #9

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Hunter556 View Post
.....But check out delton they make some quality rifles from the reviews that are out there...
Really? He has around $1k to spend and you toss out Delton. I'd go BCM for $1k. Stag Arms is around $800-900 depending on model, but I think the BCM is a great SHTF and also quality.

If you want something cheaper so you can use some of that money for ammo then check out the S&W M&P lineup.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb

Really? He has around $1k to spend and you toss out Delton. I'd go BCM for $1k. Stag Arms is around $800-900 depending on model, but I think the BCM is a great SHTF and also quality.

If you want something cheaper so you can use some of that money for ammo then check out the S&W M&P lineup.
Yep. $930 will get you a BCM.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."