Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New Owner Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bools View Post
Cheaper. Pmags. Better, h&k steel mags. I own 2 h&k steels that have seen combat in afganistan. Magpul is all the rage now, but h&k mags are proven by professionals. If you already have an AR, then u must also have the mags it came with. Save your money and buy these mags at 50-60 bucks a pop and shoot with the mags u got for now. Theyre h&k's high reliability mags for a reason.
i completely agree. ive got a set of 7 H&K steel mags that have lasted me 3 deployments. we got several pmags issued to us and after 1 day at the range with them, i will never use them in my m4 again. go with the H&K mags. but that being said, pmags are made for the acr and work very well in the acr.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #12

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

C-Products 30 rd Black Teflon finish, aluminum body.

Besides the two Colt mags that came with my 6940, these C-Products are the only thing I've used (without issue) from day 1.

Magazine - C-Products (5.56) 30 Round Magazine - Black [SM5E306] - $9.95 : Spikes Tactical

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #13

Hmm I've been hearing much about those USGI mags. I have 2 Pmags right now but looking to grab another mag so I can save one for JHP and leave at home for home defense. Where can i grab one of those for good price?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #14

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Cheaper. Pmags. Better, h&k steel mags. I own 2 h&k steels that have seen combat in afganistan. Magpul is all the rage now, but h&k mags are proven by professionals. If you already have an AR, then u must also have the mags it came with. Save your money and buy these mags at 50-60 bucks a pop and shoot with the mags u got for now. Theyre h&k's high reliability mags for a reason.
Please explain how the H&K's are more reliable and not just because I used them in Afghanistan or they are war proven. Facts Jack, just the facts.

I want to know how they are built better than other mags on the market, and why they are worth the cost.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5109 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan87us View Post
Hmm I've been hearing much about those USGI mags. I have 2 Pmags right now but looking to grab another mag so I can save one for JHP and leave at home for home defense. Where can i grab one of those for good price?
The reason you hear about em is because they simply work the best and are cheap. They dont have the tacticool look but they work. Ive been using em since the late 80s and lots of new ar shooters are just figuring you dont need to over engineer or have a cool look to work well.

You can find em at gunshows surplus shops pawn shops. Just look on the bottom for the adventure line stamp. Adventure line also made the parsons mags in their other plant.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-21-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Its all about how serious you are about your products and your weapon. he'd probably also say just go out and buy a red dot off a shelf at your local cabelas and just duct tape it on rrrreeeeaaaaalllll tight because its "more than capable" rather than save your money for an eotech holo or trijicon red dot. Not to be a dick about it

Point being, you get what you pay for.
Quote:
Why spend nearly a grand on a weapon and buy cheap accessories? Take it slow and buy better accessories instead of 10 cheap ones all at once. You won't be sorry. Keep in mind 50 bucks is the first price I found online, some websites have them for around 35 bucks and I'm sure used ones will be even less expensive. My mags came in a package deal with my holosight so I can't tell u first hand what I paid individually for each mag but if I had to guess I'd say 15-20 bucks.

On top of that, living in Alaska, you'd probably want something a little more rugged and reliable in the first place. The Germans are always ahead in quality and engineering of their products.
As a combat vet who still carries the same principles of reliability and "this weapon may one day save my life", I take my firearms very seriously and spend $ accordingly. Hell, to help put things in perspective I've dropped more on a muzzle devise than some spend on an optic. All my firearms are of top quality as are the accessories I use w/ them.

I am on record of being anti-good enough and anti-just as good.

Nobody's saying purchase a cheap RDS and mount it w/ tape. You're feeling attacked and thus making assumptions.

I recommend people purchase H1s/T1s and use a high quality mount, as I do. EoTechs are nice but they are nowhere near the quality of an Aimpoint.

You don't always get what you pay for. Take a sub $1k BCM and put it up against a DPMS that can run over $1k. That less expensive BCM will eat the DPMSs lunch all day long.

Where do you get your facts? Where do you draw your conclusions from?

My point is there are many proven mags out there for a fraction of the price. Your I purchased two mags that some guy claims to have been in Afghanistan is not proof of their quality nor is it drive to spend way to much on a magazine. Even if they were used overseas in what role were they used? Did they roam around one of the air bases living a life of leisure or were they beat to hell on the jagged rocks of some hillside while under ambush in some wadi?

Old 07-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #17

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan87us View Post

Check around on classifieds in the paper, online, at sports stores etc. I was buying ammo from a guy and he happened to mention he forgot to put in the ad that he had three USGI mags to sell. I ended up buying them for $5 each. Last trip to the range, they ran flawless for me.

I have somewhere in the range of 25 mags, most being Pmags, then some C Products, and some USGI. They all work fine for me.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #18

Liked 922 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
PMags or GIs w/ Magpul Followers.
As usual I have to side along with mjkeat. I have around 25 GI mags (half with Magpul Gen2 and Gen3 followers) and 15 PMAGs. And other odds and ends. The mags I trust are PMAGs and the GIs with Magpul followers.

As far as H&K steel mags, I agree again. Though they are a beautiful work of art they are just too heavy, too expensive and not as durable as PMAGs. I do have one and trust it, but it's only used as a range magazine. I can't see using an AR magazine that weighs about as much as a steel AK mag when there are lighter, better and less expensive choices.

Now for someone wanting to build up a supply of ultracheap range mags, it's hard to beat the 20 round Thermolds you sometimes see for $4 or $5. I have ten of them and no problems. I have a couple of their 30 round versions and with limited use no trouble but have heard others complain about the larger ones. Since the 30rd Thermolds go for $8-9 that's getting close to PMAG so why not kick in a few more bucks.

ETA
BTW, since mags are cheap and plentiful now it really makes sense to get enough. Never know what the situation could be tomorrow.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 07-21-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #19

Haha there were no assumptions being made on my part, merely a comparative example of what I see when someone says " that works good enough" vs "that works better than anything else" . During all this I never attacked your time served or anything of the sort, in fact I'd call you brother. But since you've gone down this road, how do any of us know anything you are saying is factual? I get my facts from my own experiences and the word of professional gun smiths and well respected weapon enthusiasts ive talked to. A couple even run other mags (pmag) and one even asked me if I wanted to trade mags. HELL NO! I've tried the pmag, personally the heavier mag provides a "sturdier" feeling. It doesn't feel like I got it from toys r us next to the transformers.

I havent seen your credentials either, if you're gonna question me, but don't shown me any "proof" then u are no better than the "hurt feeling forum attack troll" that your claiming. oddly enough u have to ASSume my feelings are hurt, perhaps because yours are? Idk, you tell me mr. No one can express a conflicting opinion without you arrogantly jumping on them. My feelings aren't hurt, but arrogance is for the birds.
Earlier you got on my spelling so let me ask you...what's a muzzle devise? Pretty sure device is easier to spell than Afghanistan. Just keep in mind, being rude like that doesn't make ppl like me shut up, it makes me louder and twice as likely to dish it back. nothing started this except that spelling comment...not to be a dick

I stick by my opinions...and my mags.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1072 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 607

stag makes good mags, they make them for the armed forces. about 20 bucks.. just got there catalog i own the one that came with my rifle and 4 others