New Owner Questions.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New Owner Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default New Owner Questions.

OK, as previously stated I bought an AR. Now I am ready to ACCESSORIZE. As I see it, the only accessory I really need is several magazines. So. What is the best magazine that I can afford? What's a reasonable price for a decent magazine? I'm not poor but I'm not JD either.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2011, 03:50 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5659 Times on 2956 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Cammenga easy mags work awesome long as your not using them with 458socom.

My favorite are the old adventure line usgi mags. They just work and work and work. Beats the living poo out of magpul mags in my opinion. I find em at gun shows from 5-15$ each. I always pick up a few. Long as the feed lips arent bent and the body has no dents they work fine.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-21-2011 at 03:53 AM.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:04 AM   #3

Yeah....what he ^ said.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-21-2011, 04:12 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

PMags or GIs w/ Magpul Followers.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:24 AM   #5

Cheaper. Pmags. Better, h&k steel mags. I own 2 h&k steels that have seen combat in afganistan. Magpul is all the rage now, but h&k mags are proven by professionals. If you already have an AR, then u must also have the mags it came with. Save your money and buy these mags at 50-60 bucks a pop and shoot with the mags u got for now. Theyre h&k's high reliability mags for a reason.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:31 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

It only came with one.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:41 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bools View Post
Cheaper. Pmags. Better, h&k steel mags. I own 2 h&k steels that have seen combat in afganistan. Magpul is all the rage now, but h&k mags are proven by professionals. If you already have an AR, then u must also have the mags it came with. Save your money and buy these mags at 50-60 bucks a pop and shoot with the mags u got for now. Theyre h&k's high reliability mags for a reason.
Not to be a dick but the above is not good advice.

Dont waste your money on HK mags. PMags or GI mags are more than capable. Take it from someone that has used his mags in Afghanistan and can spell Afghanistan. You can find new PMags for $10 each and GIs for $8.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Not to be a dick but the above is not good advice.

Dont waste your money on HK mags. PMags or GI mags are more than capable. Take it from someone that has used his mags in Afghanistan and can spell Afghanistan. You can find new PMags for $10 each and GIs for $8.
Its all about how serious you are about your products and your weapon. he'd probably also say just go out and buy a red dot off a shelf at your local cabelas and just duct tape it on rrrreeeeaaaaalllll tight because its "more than capable" rather than save your money for an eotech holo or trijicon red dot. Not to be a dick about it

Point being, you get what you pay for.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have found that you don't always get what you pay for, but you never get what you don't pay for.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #10

Why spend nearly a grand on a weapon and buy cheap accessories? Take it slow and buy better accessories instead of 10 cheap ones all at once. You won't be sorry. Keep in mind 50 bucks is the first price I found online, some websites have them for around 35 bucks and I'm sure used ones will be even less expensive. My mags came in a package deal with my holosight so I can't tell u first hand what I paid individually for each mag but if I had to guess I'd say 15-20 bucks.

On top of that, living in Alaska, you'd probably want something a little more rugged and reliable in the first place. The Germans are always ahead in quality and engineering of their products.