Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   New Owner Questions. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/new-owner-questions-45570/)

freefall 07-21-2011 04:23 AM

New Owner Questions.

OK, as previously stated I bought an AR. Now I am ready to ACCESSORIZE. As I see it, the only accessory I really need is several magazines. So. What is the best magazine that I can afford? What's a reasonable price for a decent magazine? I'm not poor but I'm not JD either.;)

JonM 07-21-2011 04:50 AM

Cammenga easy mags work awesome long as your not using them with 458socom.

My favorite are the old adventure line usgi mags. They just work and work and work. Beats the living poo out of magpul mags in my opinion. I find em at gun shows from 5-15$ each. I always pick up a few. Long as the feed lips arent bent and the body has no dents they work fine.

Gus556 07-21-2011 05:04 AM

Yeah....what he ^ said.

mjkeat 07-21-2011 05:12 AM

PMags or GIs w/ Magpul Followers.

Bools 07-21-2011 05:24 AM

Cheaper. Pmags. Better, h&k steel mags. I own 2 h&k steels that have seen combat in afganistan. Magpul is all the rage now, but h&k mags are proven by professionals. If you already have an AR, then u must also have the mags it came with. Save your money and buy these mags at 50-60 bucks a pop and shoot with the mags u got for now. Theyre h&k's high reliability mags for a reason.

freefall 07-21-2011 05:31 AM

It only came with one.:o

mjkeat 07-21-2011 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bools (Post 546866)
Cheaper. Pmags. Better, h&k steel mags. I own 2 h&k steels that have seen combat in afganistan. Magpul is all the rage now, but h&k mags are proven by professionals. If you already have an AR, then u must also have the mags it came with. Save your money and buy these mags at 50-60 bucks a pop and shoot with the mags u got for now. Theyre h&k's high reliability mags for a reason.

Not to be a dick but the above is not good advice.

Dont waste your money on HK mags. PMags or GI mags are more than capable. Take it from someone that has used his mags in Afghanistan and can spell Afghanistan. You can find new PMags for $10 each and GIs for $8.

Bools 07-21-2011 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 546882)
Not to be a dick but the above is not good advice.

Dont waste your money on HK mags. PMags or GI mags are more than capable. Take it from someone that has used his mags in Afghanistan and can spell Afghanistan. You can find new PMags for $10 each and GIs for $8.

Its all about how serious you are about your products and your weapon. he'd probably also say just go out and buy a red dot off a shelf at your local cabelas and just duct tape it on rrrreeeeaaaaalllll tight because its "more than capable" rather than save your money for an eotech holo or trijicon red dot. Not to be a dick about it :)

Point being, you get what you pay for.

freefall 07-21-2011 07:09 AM

I have found that you don't always get what you pay for, but you never get what you don't pay for.:rolleyes:

Bools 07-21-2011 07:51 AM

Why spend nearly a grand on a weapon and buy cheap accessories? Take it slow and buy better accessories instead of 10 cheap ones all at once. You won't be sorry. Keep in mind 50 bucks is the first price I found online, some websites have them for around 35 bucks and I'm sure used ones will be even less expensive. My mags came in a package deal with my holosight so I can't tell u first hand what I paid individually for each mag but if I had to guess I'd say 15-20 bucks.

On top of that, living in Alaska, you'd probably want something a little more rugged and reliable in the first place. The Germans are always ahead in quality and engineering of their products.