Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > new members question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new members question

hey everyone. im new on here,lookin fer a place to talk about guns.my name is andrew mayer,and only13 years old but i know quite a bit about guns and are lookin fer some more to know about them.

my brother has a question fer you guys,though. he wants to know if theres anyone out there that knows how to make armor piercing rounds.he wants a Tungston core M855 bullet.

thanks

andrew

Last edited by falconman; 12-05-2008 at 08:42 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8446 Times on 3664 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Hi Falcon! My youngest graddaughter is 12, and has been shooting with me for 2 years now. Ref: Armor Piercing ammo- it is basically a very hard core, with a covering (jacket) of softer metal to prevent damaging the barrel. It makes a LOUSY deer stopper. The goal is shooting an animal is to transfer as much energy from the bullet to the critter as possible- typically with a soft point bullet that expands on impact. An armor piercing round does NOT expand, but makes a hole right thru, and the energy that is STILL pushing the bullet is wasted.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:47 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8446 Times on 3664 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

BTW- the .223 catridge is (in my opinion) borderline for deer- and too small to be legal for deer where I live (Virginia)

Old 12-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Standard NATO SS109 5.56 ammunition has a steel core and will punch through a lot. It's not classified "armor piercing" but it's still very effective.

That is probably NOT what you want to take down game, however, unless the deer in your area ride around in armored personnel carriers or wear high-end body armor.

A soft tip or hollow point will transfer more kinetic energy than an AP or FMJ round and would probably be more effective. But a bigger round (.308 or shotgun slug) would probably be more effective than anything an AR will spit out.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome here.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

welcome aboard....you must have editted this since I first read it this morning, as at first I thought you were in search of armor piercing info for deer hunting?

as others have already pointed out, AP rounds work well for their intended purpose, but would not do you much good for hunting deer. your first shot or two would have to be a brain or spine shot to knock it down. otherwise, you'd just be poking holes in it until it dropped.

i'm sure if you did a search online, you might be able to find a site that would have info on making your own AP rounds. even with the sand box going on, you might get lucky enough to find some AP rounds for sale...probably cheaper and get you un-noticed.

Slo

Old 12-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

What possible purpose would your brother have for wanting AP rounds?

Everyone here knows it's not for hunting.

Your average shooter has no lawful purpose for AP type rounds.

JD

Old 12-06-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
What possible purpose would your brother have for wanting AP rounds?

Everyone here knows it's not for hunting.

Your average shooter has no lawful purpose for AP type rounds.

JD
What possible purpose would you have for wanting an AR-15?

Everyone here knows they're not for hunting.

Your average shooter has no lawful purpose for AR-15 type rifles.

(See how that works? It just depends whether a moron legislator has drafted a law banning whatever it is you're interested in to be on the wrong side of a comment like that. No offense intended, bud.)

Falconman, please do not radically change your post after people have responded to it; it makes the thread challenging to follow.

Armor Piercing rounds are defined by the BATFE as:
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.
(C) The term 'armor piercing ammunition' does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Secretary finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Secretary finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device.
These are not legal to own. Personally, like all other arbitrary legislation banning some firearms but not others, I find this to be both wrong and pointless.

If owning AP rounds is illegal, making them is an illegal activity. This forum will not assist anyone in the manufacture or acquisition of banned or illegal items.

Please see here for more info: http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/legal/armor.htm

Old 12-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2612 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Operative term "handgun". AP ammo restrictions are placed on HANDGUN ammo except in the most Draconian locales.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:18 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
What possible purpose would you have for wanting an AR-15?

Everyone here knows they're not for hunting.

Your average shooter has no lawful purpose for AR-15 type rifles.
While I see your point, the grass is a bit slick on the slope.

an AR is legal to hunt with here, so if I was a hunter, I would be well within my Rights to hunt with it. I don't hunt personally, but that doesn't mean I can't hunt should I need too.

Should meat become officially cancelled as a commodity I can purchase at the store, I might have to resort to doing exactly that.

However, a question about armor piercing ammunition from someone in one of their very first posts? C'mon. And he's 13 - so obviously it's useful exuberace getting the better of him...

I don't agree they should be banned either. But, as they are banned, the request of how to go about obtaining/manufacturing one isn't one that should be brushed over casually.

JD